Change The Countdown To The Championship? (1 Viewer)

Martin Truex removed from the Chase as NASCAR ruled Bowyer spun on purpose ... First alternate Ryan Newman takes his spot in the Chase.

I hope Erica wins the Championship just to show what a joke the Countdown is (plus I like her and have always rooted for her, now there is just a little more to root for).

Last edited:
JF blows off the tires because the clutch is out of sync- no one gets hurt

Boyer spins in traffic? Until they stop rolling, the outcome of everyone's safety is up in the air...

EXACTLY! ...but to those that look for any reason to bash Force that isn't relevant

EXACTLY! ...but to those that look for any reason to bash Force that isn't relevant

This has nothing to due with bashing Force. The Force dive is the manipulation of a race in order to get one of his drivers into the playoffs which is exactly what happened at the NASCAR race. NASCAR took action to not tolerate it and the NHRA should have done the same.

NSCAR did levy fines for changing the out cone of the race 300.000 worth. And I agree run the races the most points wins. Where is the incentive to spend as much as the top ten cars, with no chance for advancment, also you have to believe your sponsors time on tv will be less if you are not in the chase.

This has nothing to due with bashing Force. The Force dive is the manipulation of a race in order to get one of his drivers into the playoffs which is exactly what happened at the NASCAR race. NASCAR took action to not tolerate it and the NHRA should have done the same.

Just curious then, why is when you want to talk about diving do you only ever mention Force? Why not what Worsham did at Reading in '07 or one of the other examples? No ax to grind against them?

Just curious then, why is when you want to talk about diving do you only ever mention Force? Why not what Worsham did at Reading in '07 or one of the other examples? No ax to grind against them?

I would imagine that short of Kurt vs WJ (the gotta keep my job sign) and Minor vs Beck way back in the day or even Angelle and was it Schultz? that the Force dive was the most blatant and obvious one to happen recently.

Also it was a direct result of the having the new unchampionship system in place. It happened at the biggest race as well.

I'm sure we can all list off several other examples, the Force dive, and the aftermath on the top end and in interviews afterwards (which were replayed often) is the most easily remembered.

I would imagine that short of Kurt vs WJ (the gotta keep my job sign) and Minor vs Beck way back in the day or even Angelle and was it Schultz? that the Force dive was the most blatant and obvious one to happen recently.

Also it was a direct result of the having the new unchampionship system in place. It happened at the biggest race as well.

I'm sure we can all list off several other examples, the Force dive, and the aftermath on the top end and in interviews afterwards (which were replayed often) is the most easily remembered.

When Arend drove for Worsham in '07 at Reading, he sat at the green light for over 2 seconds before idling down the track, while Del pulled away. Del had to win that race to solidify a countdown spot. You're telling me the Force incident was more blatant? I don't begrudge any party a bit because I would do the same thing, I'm just not a big fan of hypocrisy.

I think it comes from Force saying his teams always run straight up. If he just came out and said yeah Robert needs the win... Obviously the NHRA is much more strict about it then the other incidents. It was Angelle and John Myers at Topeka in 1996. She didn't even bother coming to the starting line for the finals with the bike, she just stood and watched. When they interviewed her on the starting line she flat out said John needed the points.

I just wonder how pissed Napa is over the fiasco. They were on Mikey's car when he had the illegal substance in his intake in Daytona 2007 and got banged pretty hard with penalties. Now to be knocked entirely out of the chase for the teams manipulation of the race can not be going over well. Maybe they'll throw a few more bucks to the NHRA side instead. :D

Last edited:
......also you have to believe your sponsors time on tv will be less if you are not in the chase.

for sure this is a concern for nascar teams to beg, borrow and steal to get into the chase....the tv ratings are high
and the money to win is significant. Now over on the nhra side, how much less exposure will ford/quicklane get
not having tasca in countdown?....i would argue not very much; bob can still win rounds and be interviewed as
a spoiler on espn (seen by few), and the fans at the races will see his livery every bit as the countdown cars.

That's not the one remembered because those actions actually didn't rob someone a spot like what happened at Indy 09 (for the record I am against throwing any race). The round that Force threw was the 1 round that was actually NEEDED for Hight to get into the playoff. In 2007 Del needed that round and had to win the race to get in which didn't happen. There was no outcry because the dive didn't end up working out like it did in Indy 09. What happened at the NASCAR was exactly the same thing as Indy 09, those 2 spots Logano gained by Bowyer and Vickers letting him pass him is what would have got their teammate into the playoffs if NASCAR didn't step up and penalize them. The only reason why there's backlash in NASCAR now is because the diving actually impacted the playoffs which is what happened with the Force Team.

Folks drag racing is a team sport now, like it or not. I'm all for multi car teams, anything that puts cars on the track. But the CD system, it invites "dives".

Nothing wrong with dives, no different than a QB taking a knee, or a pitcher throwing 4 way outside to skip this batter to face the next. It's called strategy. Like Mike, I don't care for the hypocrisy but NHRA forces that. The teams should be able to just say "pass". Let the team mate make a single.

How about the finals in 87 when Minor went in the tank for Lahaie in the 2nd round. That was not just for a "chase" spot, but for the entire championship. If not for that, my favorite TF driver at the time Joey Tomato would be a 6 time champ. I was about as mad as an 8 year old could ever be. :eek: :D

That's not the one remembered because those actions actually didn't rob someone a spot like what happened at Indy 09 (for the record I am against throwing any race). The round that Force threw was the 1 round that was actually NEEDED for Hight to get into the playoff. In 2007 Del needed that round and had to win the race to get in which didn't happen. There was no outcry because the dive didn't end up working out like it did in Indy 09. What happened at the NASCAR was exactly the same thing as Indy 09, those 2 spots Logano gained by Bowyer and Vickers letting him pass him is what would have got their teammate into the playoffs if NASCAR didn't step up and penalize them. The only reason why there's backlash in NASCAR now is because the diving actually impacted the playoffs which is what happened with the Force Team.

That's not what I asked. I'm not asking for a comparison, so I will ask the same question again. If you are so anti-diving as you claim to be, why is it the only team you condemn for their actions is JFR whenever the subject comes up?

Last edited:
My answer Mikey to that question is if I remember right Del flat out said it would go down that way...JFR cant come clean all the way back to TPed
JMO on those two situations

I'm just not a big fan of hypocrisy.

Yep, you're from the midwest alright. Not saying that other regions don't have people that don't like hypocrisy, I've just noted that of all the regions I lived in (and I've lived in a few), midwesterners don't have a tolerance for hypocrisy.

My answer Mikey to that question is if I remember right Del flat out said it would go down that way...JFR cant come clean all the way back to TPed
JMO on those two situations

So make up my mind here...is the problem the actual act of diving, or is it okay as long as you admit to it? You can't say that you are against any team diving and then say "Oh this one isn't as bad because they said it was going to happen." You can't have it both ways.....

So make up my mind here...is the problem the actual act of diving, or is it okay as long as you admit to it? You can't say that you are against any team diving and then say "Oh this one isn't as bad because they said it was going to happen." You can't have it both ways.....

OK Teach, myself I just want to admit it BTW I never said I was against one team or another just that Del admitted it and JFR never has.....just like Juice in sports I don't care if you use it but if you get caught admit it

Is that a better answer

OK Teach, myself I just want to admit it BTW I never said I was against one team or another just that Del admitted it and JFR never has.....just like Juice in sports I don't care if you use it but if you get caught admit it

Is that a better answer

My comment was not directed at you Sean, just more of a general statement. I'm pretty much of the same opinion you are. If I was John in '09 I might have just left my car in the pit area. Welcome to the big business of competitive professional auto racing. This is the environment that has been created over the evolution of the sport.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back