Change The Countdown To The Championship? (1 Viewer)

NitroRichFire

Nitro Member
I really think there should be a change in the "Countdown To The Championship" to let the cars outside the top ten at least have a slim chance of winning the championship and to make it more interesting. The NHRA should have a rule in there, stating that any car that wins the last 6 races of the season, wins the "Countdown To The Championship". Think about it, just how hard would that be? EXTREMELY! I don't think it's ever been done. Just a thought, to give the cars outside of the top ten something to shoot for and make it much more interesting.

Sorry but I had to have a little laugh here. Not at your post but the fact that the countdown was created to make things more interesting and now there is a discussion about making the countdown more interesting.

So... I have a DSR or AJR quality car (not saying that either of these teams would do this ;)), and I run match races and whatnot during the season for testing and to work on the driver's chops, then come out at Indy and only run the last six races with my Top Gun shoe, A-1 crewchief and top-notch crew, that have the incentive to make some BIG bucks for 3 months worth of work...

Yeah- that would really help those teams looking for an all-year sponsorship

"Yes, Mr. Big Business, I can offer you B-network channel television time at 3AM, if we aren't pre-empted by woman's knitting championship coverage"

"And you want to race how many races this year?"

"24"

"And how much do you need?"

"A Gazillion dollars"

"But I just had a former Champion offer me a 6 race deal package for half a gazillion dollars, and they have won the whole thing before. Thanks, but we'll pass"

When was the last time any fuel team has one the last 6 races of the season?

In the fuel classes? Never. Cruz Pedregon won 5 of 6 in 1992. Dave Schultz won the last 6 races of 1993 in Pro Stock Bike. In fact Dave won 14 of 15 from July 1993 to October 1994. Only John Myers winning Gainesville in March 1994 broke it up. That is likely one of the most impressive streaks in pro class history.

I really think there should be a change in the "Countdown To The Championship" to let the cars outside the top ten at least have a slim chance of winning the championship and to make it more interesting. The NHRA should have a rule in there, stating that any car that wins the last 6 races of the season, wins the "Countdown To The Championship". Think about it, just how hard would that be? EXTREMELY! I don't think it's ever been done. Just a thought, to give the cars outside of the top ten something to shoot for and make it much more interesting.

There would be no sense in such a ruling. With it being so unlikely to happen it would not even blip the radar. How many teams in the top 3 can rattle off 6 wins, let alone a team outside the top 10 that has likely struggled all season?

There would be no sense in such a ruling. With it being so unlikely to happen it would not even blip the radar. How many teams in the top 3 can rattle off 6 wins, let alone a team outside the top 10 that has likely struggled all season?

Agreed.

One thing I would like to see change, however, is the top-ten deal. I don't know any of the details of the money involved from a 10th place finish to 11th on down, but I would assume there's a difference. And for a team to be in a position to be able to lock-in 10th place money having potentially not run the full regular season, then not need to run one single race through the countdown just isn't right.

Sean D

How about doing away with the nascar-copying Countdown and let the driver who earns the most points throughout the entire season be declared the winner?

Since NHRA likes to follow NASCAR, I am interested to see how NASCAR handles a team taking a dive like JFR did in Indy 09 and the manipulated outcome of the race the impact it has on the playoff participants. NHRA did nothing, lets see what NASCAR does. Hopefully they will rule with the iron fist and the NHRA can take notes on how to handle the situation of a dive.

ya...because giving away a round in drag race is the same thing as deliberately spinning out on a race track with 42 other cars :rolleyes:

ya...because giving away a round in drag race is the same thing as deliberately spinning out on a race track with 42 other cars :rolleyes:

Same intent/result, got their driver in the playoffs. They went into the tank to get a teammate in the playoffs which is exactly what happened in Indy 09.

Since NHRA likes to follow NASCAR, I am interested to see how NASCAR handles a team taking a dive like JFR did in Indy 09 and the manipulated outcome of the race the impact it has on the playoff participants. NHRA did nothing, lets see what NASCAR does. Hopefully they will rule with the iron fist and the NHRA can take notes on how to handle the situation of a dive.
Clint Bowyer spun on purpose Saturday night and brought out the caution which allowed his teammate Truex to make the chase. No penalty from NASCAR.

Same intent/result, got their driver in the playoffs. They went into the tank to get a teammate in the playoffs which is exactly what happened in Indy 09.

JF blows off the tires because the clutch is out of sync- no one gets hurt

Boyer spins in traffic? Until they stop rolling, the outcome of everyone's safety is up in the air...

JF blows off the tires because the clutch is out of sync- no one gets hurt

Boyer spins in traffic? Until they stop rolling, the outcome of everyone's safety is up in the air...

Did you not watch it? He spun on exit of 4 and spun it down to the apron, out of traffic. He spun out in the one spot where he wouldn't be putting himself in danger. Regardless, after that they brought their other team car to pit road to let Logano pass them in the race in order to get Truex into the Chase. Bottom line is this, teams orders SUCK!

Clint Bowyer spun on purpose Saturday night and brought out the caution which allowed his teammate Truex to make the chase. No penalty from NASCAR.

That wasn't the only thing MWR did, penalty should be out by tomorrow if they hand one down.

Did you not watch it? He spun on exit of 4 and spun it down to the apron, out of traffic. He spun out in the one spot where he wouldn't be putting himself in danger. Regardless, after that they brought their other team car to pit road to let Logano pass them in the race in order to get Truex into the Chase. Bottom line is this, teams orders SUCK!

Nope- we were racing this weekend :p :)

Will never happen, you can't prove a dive.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back