Beckman's New Idea For The Countdown.... (1 Viewer)

I'm with PJ....Get rid of the countdown and if the forces that be say we need to keep it reset everyone who ran every race outside the top ten too. I am going to write a letter to them soon. Now are these letters actually sent to people who read them or to a giant trash compactor?

You might be surprised. I sent a nice long letter to the NHRA when I informed them that I wouldn't be renewing my membership for the first time in over 25 years. I actually received a response hoping I would return one day. I hope so too, because it would mean drastic changes have come about.

You might be surprised. I sent a nice long letter to the NHRA when I informed them that I wouldn't be renewing my membership for the first time in over 25 years. I actually received a response hoping I would return one day. I hope so too, because it would mean drastic changes have come about.

You got a letter because your name was attached to nothing but $$. That's all you were to them. I have no $$ attached to my name so I may just find the compactor

I'm with PJ....Get rid of the countdown and if the forces that be say we need to keep it reset everyone who ran every race outside the top ten too. I am going to write a letter to them soon. Now are these letters actually sent to people who read them or to a giant trash compactor?

NATIONAL HOT ROD ASSOCIATION
2035 Financial Way
Glendora, CA 91741

Good luck with that one, let me know how that one works out for you. While you are at it, go sign PJ's petition against the Countdown. You are wasting your time as the NHRA isn't doing away from the Countdown, mark my words on it. There's a better chance of the NHRA returning to 1/4 mile nitro racing than them getting rid of the Countdown and they aren't going 1/4 mile nitro racing anytime in the foreseeable future.

Actually I did get a response. Not from the people I was aiming for but a response is a response. It was lengthy back and forth conversation via emails.

Ssshhhh don't tell Paul that the masses can change things. He would've been the guy bashing the Boston Tea Party people as waisting their time :D

Paul even you have to agree that having all playoff people racing each other is better than the *******ize playoff format they currently use.

Ssshhhh don't tell Paul that the masses can change things. He would've been the guy bashing the Boston Tea Party people as waisting their time :D .

Not sure about that, but I am the guy who thinks the Occupy Wall St. gang are wasting their time. :D

Good luck with that one, let me know how that one works out for you. While you are at it, go sign PJ's petition against the Countdown. You are wasting your time as the NHRA isn't doing away from the Countdown, mark my words on it. There's a better chance of the NHRA returning to 1/4 mile nitro racing than them getting rid of the Countdown and they aren't going 1/4 mile nitro racing anytime in the foreseeable future.

If you read what I wrote 14 million times all I am looking for is for them to reset the teams outside the top ten who ran all the countdown qualifying races. I know they are never gonna ditch the countdown and don't get me started on the 1320 bs. We are stuck at 1000 because people have been brainwashed that it's better when it's really just asking for the same problems in a few seasons.

Not sure about that, but I am the guy who thinks the Occupy Wall St. gang are wasting their time. :D

I actually agree with you on that, yes we're all angry at America's issues right now, but I work in the city, all they have done is cost the city 4 million dollars a day in police protection, and the traffic they create. Same with occupy oakland, this is not the way to get through to them. Just like my plan with NHRA, it's to not just not like what they are doing, it's to offer up an alternative that could be better. All these occupy people wanna do is take heads, they have no plan.

On Countdown,

Ask the racers who are 7th thru 13th at the Countdown setting if they are happy with it. Even the drivers 11th thru 13th may tell ya we don't deserve to be in it. They had a goal and missed.

Contrary to what some people forecast in this country, there are ppl who fail to make their goals, and when they do they don't wish to be included in something they didn't rightly earn. The wish to go back to the drawing board and try harder the next time or season.

On Countdown,

Ask the racers who are 7th thru 13th at the Countdown setting if they are happy with it. Even the drivers 11th thru 13th may tell ya we don't deserve to be in it. They had a goal and missed.

Contrary to what some people forecast in this country, there are ppl who fail to make their goals, and when they do they don't wish to be included in something they didn't rightly earn. The wish to go back to the drawing board and try harder the next time or season.

I would accept it if there never was a countdown, The whole countdown idea was to end all season point dominance or big leads. My issue is they are resetting the top ten. There are about 11-14 cars a class that are good enough for top ten. The hardworking outside guys should get a chance in the same season to become 1 of the ten elite

I think all the rage and buzz would be if you only qualified 7. Talk about competition and nerves.

If I were to agree with you I'd say sure, just let everyone in since I feel 10 is too many. What's the harm in 3 more?

But if you're going to tell the point leader (or 2nd or 3rd) that his whole season he has worked to distance himself from others, I just don't like letting everyone back in the game.

In racing I guess the NHRA or NASCAR feels it has to give a little latitude to the shear numbers since unlike ball sports the competitors still show up to the track to compete. So including more makes it a more inclusive deal for the teams and the fans.

But if you're going to tell the point leader (or 2nd or 3rd) that his whole season he has worked to distance himself from others, I just don't like letting everyone back in the game.

I agree with you on that, but it then comes back to the same countdown opposing point most fans had in 2007. It comes back to guys like Capps, Wilkerson, having a gigantic title assuring lead just to have it cut down to 30 points. All I am saying is if the guy on top have to swallow every advantage down to 30 to 120 out, what's the harm in letting in more teams that ran ech race but fell one or three critical rounds short. This would only make the countdown more exciting. Yeah, it would piss alot of people off if a car in 12th ended up doing well enough to win the championship, but look at Johnny Gray, He would be 5th, 30 points out, that would be one hell of a story. 12th to 1st in 6 races!

this is one of the best thread we have had here in a long time!!! Well reasoned arguments on both sides of the issue. I hope nhra is reading it.
" artificially induced drama " is the phrase that stick out most in my mind after reading all the posts. My problem with the countdown is that it is a lie.

Neff couldn’t mask his disappoint for hitting a patch of misfortune at the most inopportune time. When the points reset, Neff surrendered 215 points, or ten rounds and 15 points.

“We usually don’t fumble around for more than a couple of races. This isn’t an easy game. It’s hard to make a car run good all year long without going through a turn of events where it’s just not working good for you.

“The fact of the matter is this car has run great for two years with a couple of hiccups here and there. It’s just timing. That’s what the Countdown is. It turns the season into six races. If it wasn’t for a Countdown, we’d be getting another ring.”

http://competitionplus.com/drag-rac...n-manufactures-funny-car-drama-for-last-event

Brad Littlefield claims he would be 5th with 35 points out, still You and Brad prove my point well

Driver Countdown since pts place

1. Mike Neff 1,297 272 1569 1st
2. Jack Beckman 1,082 336 1418 2nd
3. Robert Hight 1,076 275 1351 4th
4. Cruz Pedregon 1,017 330 1347 5th
5. Ron Capps 1,009 294 1303 6th
6. Matt Hagan 1,009 376 1385 3rd
7. John Force 891 170 1061 9th
8. Bob Tasca III 827 275 1102 8
9. Jeff Arend 812 260 1072 10
10. Tim Wilkerson 802 179 981 11
11. Johnny Gray 719 443 1162 7th

Last edited:
Driver Countdown since pts place

1. Mike Neff 1,297 272 1569 1st
2. Jack Beckman 1,082 336 1418 2nd
3. Robert Hight 1,076 275 1351 4th
4. Cruz Pedregon 1,017 330 1347 5th
5. Ron Capps 1,009 294 1303 6th
6. Matt Hagan 1,009 376 1385 3rd
7. John Force 891 170 1061 9th
8. Bob Tasca III 827 275 1102 8
9. Jeff Arend 812 260 1072 10
10. Tim Wilkerson 802 179 981 11
11. Johnny Gray 719 443 1162 7th

Then I don't know where Brad Littlefield gets off posting on NHRA.com that he's 5th. Either way thank you for that.

Like it or not, the Countdown program “works” in the sense that it definitely increases drag racing’s media coverage.

What you must understand here is that this is a marketing and promotional effort, not a move on the part of NHRA to deny anyone an opportunity to run for a championship.

The way some of you are whining about those who fail to make the Countdown demonstrates to me that you don’t understand the concept itself.

What you’re suggesting is the same as saying that NASCAR’s Chase program is also bogus because only 12 drivers are eligible for the championship. But, it’s EXACTLY that concept, the concept of first having to prove yourself by making the Chase, or in our case, making the Countdown, and THEN having to prove you’re good enough for the championship.

Steve Bullard’s defense of the Countdown is spot-on. Go back and read it again.

Brian Hirsch – baloney! It’s not the sponsor’s fault his guy didn’t make the Countdown. It’s the racer’s. If he or she wasn’t good enough, that’s the breaks of the game

What you guys are suggesting is akin to local youth sports programs that no longer “allow” winners and losers for fear of some poor kid getting his feelings hurt, or suffering from low self-esteem. Those are the very kids who are going to grow into adulthood unable to deal with the very real harsh realities of being adults. Disappointments are going to come your way, so learn to deal with it. If you can deal with a crushing loss on the soccer pitch when you’re 10, losing your first job at 26 is going to be easier to handle because you’ve successfully dealt with disappointments in the past.

There are going to come national events when you’re not going to qualify. Just ask multi-time, iconic Pro Stock driver Warren Johnson, who takes it like a man, and comes back fighting harder than ever.

There are going to come times when you don’t qualify for the Countdown. Just ask P/SM racer Steve Johnson how that feels. If he were truly unhinged by it he would have gone back to Alabama to whine, but he’s still out there trying.

Re-read Mr. Bullard’s second post: “If you go rounds, you’re on the tube.” What could be easier to understand?

Regarding interviews or the lack thereof, please don’t be so naïve as to think that it’s all about winning rounds. There’s a lot more to it, and like it or not, if the show’s director doesn’t like a certain driver, the only way he or she is going to get on camera is after winning the whole race. There are deserving and interesting drivers out there who ONLY get on screen when they win. It might not be “right,” but it’s reality.

Mr. Keenan, if Service Central is so thin-skinned as to be ready to bolt because Gray didn’t make the Countdown, then they either need to give Gray more resources to win, or go elsewhere. (Please. I know Mr. Gray has extremely deep pockets.)

The way you guys are placing so much emphasis on the sponsors, why don’t we just say, Anyone with a major sponsorship, even if it’s all flash and no real deal, makes the Countdown. Anyone who’s racing on their own, well, tough luck!

Mike Larson is also correct: “…the Countdown enhances sponsor exposure.” And before you say, “What about the sponsored car that doesn’t make the Countdown? Win races during the Countdown and you’ll get plenty of exposure.

Mr. Keech, no one needs to “declare” anything. You either earn enough points to make the Countdown of you don’t. What could be simpler?

Mike Miller, I also follow F-1 and know a lot of journalists worldwide who follow the whole tour, and strongly disagree with your analysis. Vettel’s domination has been a turnoff, not a positive. Secondly, one of F-1’s biggest problems is that, over the years, individual teams have sometimes been so dominant that it backfires.

Lance Peltier is also correct: The fight for the last spots in the Countdown produced lots of publicity for those teams, just like it was supposed to.

One more point: In my OPINION there is only one major flaw with the Countdown program, and here’s where NHRA and NASCAR are unfortunately different. The Chasers in NASCAR know that finishing 11th brings with it a million dollar bonus. Not only does drag racing lack ANY million dollar winners, thereby continuing to make us look like a third-rate endeavor, there’s absolutely NO bonus for fighting your way up to 11th from, say, 17th at the start of the Countdown races.

If there was a significant financial prize for finishing 11th it would provide the media with many more story lines. In Pro Stock (and I’m not going to bother figuring out who the drivers in this spot are – you do it!), with the championship decided, if there were a real battle between three other drivers for finishing 11th, that’s the aspect of Pro Stock that the media would be writing about.

Now, someone figure out where the money comes from to 1). Produce the million dollar winners, and 2). Come up with a really decent prize for finishing 11th, maybe something like $250,000. Yeah, that’s more than it currently pays to finish second, but that’s not the point here. The point is that there should be a significant bonus for 11th, and obviously, much bigger payouts for even making the Countdown and finishing in the Top 10.

Jon Asher
Senior Editor
CopetitionPlus.com

Like it or not, the Countdown program “works” in the sense that it definitely increases drag racing’s media coverage.

What you must understand here is that this is a marketing and promotional effort, not a move on the part of NHRA to deny anyone an opportunity to run for a championship.

The way some of you are whining about those who fail to make the Countdown demonstrates to me that you don’t understand the concept itself.

What you’re suggesting is the same as saying that NASCAR’s Chase program is also bogus because only 12 drivers are eligible for the championship. But, it’s EXACTLY that concept, the concept of first having to prove yourself by making the Chase, or in our case, making the Countdown, and THEN having to prove you’re good enough for the championship.

Steve Bullard’s defense of the Countdown is spot-on. Go back and read it again.

Brian Hirsch – baloney! It’s not the sponsor’s fault his guy didn’t make the Countdown. It’s the racer’s. If he or she wasn’t good enough, that’s the breaks of the game

What you guys are suggesting is akin to local youth sports programs that no longer “allow” winners and losers for fear of some poor kid getting his feelings hurt, or suffering from low self-esteem. Those are the very kids who are going to grow into adulthood unable to deal with the very real harsh realities of being adults. Disappointments are going to come your way, so learn to deal with it. If you can deal with a crushing loss on the soccer pitch when you’re 10, losing your first job at 26 is going to be easier to handle because you’ve successfully dealt with disappointments in the past.

There are going to come national events when you’re not going to qualify. Just ask multi-time, iconic Pro Stock driver Warren Johnson, who takes it like a man, and comes back fighting harder than ever.

There are going to come times when you don’t qualify for the Countdown. Just ask P/SM racer Steve Johnson how that feels. If he were truly unhinged by it he would have gone back to Alabama to whine, but he’s still out there trying.

Re-read Mr. Bullard’s second post: “If you go rounds, you’re on the tube.” What could be easier to understand?

Regarding interviews or the lack thereof, please don’t be so naïve as to think that it’s all about winning rounds. There’s a lot more to it, and like it or not, if the show’s director doesn’t like a certain driver, the only way he or she is going to get on camera is after winning the whole race. There are deserving and interesting drivers out there who ONLY get on screen when they win. It might not be “right,” but it’s reality.

Mr. Keenan, if Service Central is so thin-skinned as to be ready to bolt because Gray didn’t make the Countdown, then they either need to give Gray more resources to win, or go elsewhere. (Please. I know Mr. Gray has extremely deep pockets.)

The way you guys are placing so much emphasis on the sponsors, why don’t we just say, Anyone with a major sponsorship, even if it’s all flash and no real deal, makes the Countdown. Anyone who’s racing on their own, well, tough luck!

Mike Larson is also correct: “…the Countdown enhances sponsor exposure.” And before you say, “What about the sponsored car that doesn’t make the Countdown? Win races during the Countdown and you’ll get plenty of exposure.

Mr. Keech, no one needs to “declare” anything. You either earn enough points to make the Countdown of you don’t. What could be simpler?

Mike Miller, I also follow F-1 and know a lot of journalists worldwide who follow the whole tour, and strongly disagree with your analysis. Vettel’s domination has been a turnoff, not a positive. Secondly, one of F-1’s biggest problems is that, over the years, individual teams have sometimes been so dominant that it backfires.

Lance Peltier is also correct: The fight for the last spots in the Countdown produced lots of publicity for those teams, just like it was supposed to.

One more point: In my OPINION there is only one major flaw with the Countdown program, and here’s where NHRA and NASCAR are unfortunately different. The Chasers in NASCAR know that finishing 11th brings with it a million dollar bonus. Not only does drag racing lack ANY million dollar winners, thereby continuing to make us look like a third-rate endeavor, there’s absolutely NO bonus for fighting your way up to 11th from, say, 17th at the start of the Countdown races.

If there was a significant financial prize for finishing 11th it would provide the media with many more story lines. In Pro Stock (and I’m not going to bother figuring out who the drivers in this spot are – you do it!), with the championship decided, if there were a real battle between three other drivers for finishing 11th, that’s the aspect of Pro Stock that the media would be writing about.

Now, someone figure out where the money comes from to 1). Produce the million dollar winners, and 2). Come up with a really decent prize for finishing 11th, maybe something like $250,000. Yeah, that’s more than it currently pays to finish second, but that’s not the point here. The point is that there should be a significant bonus for 11th, and obviously, much bigger payouts for even making the Countdown and finishing in the Top 10.

Jon Asher
Senior Editor
CopetitionPlus.com

Well Wrtten Jon, Extremely well written. You have a point and my entire idea does not make much sense because I get it, the countdown foundation would make no sense. With you showing that to me it makes my plan useless, but Nascar's top 10 are in. 11th and 12th is decided on the number of wins a year. Nascar was wise in respect to perserving their chase and allowing 2 more spots by making these spots avaliable only to teams that delivered the most wins outside the top 10 to how ever many teams are in the points, that was wise.

Now I modify my idea cause It now seems like it's going to lose it's heartbeat. You are correct, keep the countdown foundation entacted, and for the hardworking team 11-15th outside the top ten, give them a chance to win something for 11th, let 11th be the championship for the non top ten teams to fight for. I support this 100%. My idea was good, yet too weak, I think you could tell all I was supporting was really to give the guys that finish outside the top ten at least something left to fight for.

We are the # 2 Motorsport in America, it is still alarming how little the event purses and season payouts are. You win the title you get 400,000. I bet almost all these teams that run for the title it's not a payday, it's small payback on what was spent. 400,000 could run a good tf team what? 4 to 6 races? I did not even get to taxes on that 400,000 yet.

Last edited:

Jon Asher
Senior Editor
CopetitionPlus.com

With all due respect, I see no "increase" in media coverage. Yes, they hype it up on the Q shows and finals show. But they are preaching to the chior. It's only us fans that watch. The CD hype does not reach any "NEW" potential fans or sponsors. I have never seen it (CD) mentioned on local, or natl. TV news or sports.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back