Countdown :-( (1 Viewer)

Leebone

Nitro Member
I'm sorry if this has been posted before but I absolutely HATE the countdown. Ron Capps, Antron Brown, Jason Line and Eddie EARNED those points, and now they have them taken away and given a measly 30 points ahead of their competitors. That's BS. Is this drag racing's version of outcome based racing? If you earn it, you should keep it. Just my opinion.

I'm sorry if this has been posted before but I absolutely HATE the countdown. Ron Capps, Antron Brown, Jason Line and Eddie EARNED those points, and now they have them taken away and given a measly 30 points ahead of their competitors. That's BS. Is this drag racing's version of outcome based racing? If you earn it, you should keep it. Just my opinion.
This ship sailed about 10 years ago, but sure, lets beat the dead horse again. Where's PJ? lol

You sir, are absolutely, 100%, dead on, correct. Unfortunately, NHRA does not agree with us, and it is their playground.

Actually Andrew Hines is the PSM points leader.

They all know how the game is played though. So we'll see how it goes, and as always, I'll still track the "real points" chase to Pomona. Not that it means anything in the grand scheme of things, I just enjoy it.

Actually Andrew Hines is the PSM points leader.

They all know how the game is played though. So we'll see how it goes, and as always, I'll still track the "real points" chase to Pomona. Not that it means anything in the grand scheme of things, I just enjoy it.

Oh on the contrary sir, I am very much interested in how the point system would be if NHRA didn't alter the points to their own discretion. I appreciate you keeping track.

Where is that beating a dead horse icon?

flogging-dead-horse.gif

the countdown has kinda grown on me over the years, however I roll my eyes when the main storyline of the past few races is the battle between the 10th and 11th place cars

Oh on the contrary sir, I am very much interested in how the point system would be if NHRA didn't alter the points to their own discretion. I appreciate you keeping track.
Those real points don't mean much, so many teams go in to test mode or skip a race or two once they're close to the Countdown.

Yeah, I know. Just like the 1000' vs. 1320' thing, I realize I'm beating a dead horse. It is what it is. It's the Capps thing. I'm a big fan and bummed out his points lead will be dwindled down to 30. A few years ago Wilkerson would have been the champion if not for the clown down. That bums me out too.

Only cuz Paul wants me here :)

I've tried, still hate it. If they were hell bent on the countdown there is a way to fix it, of course option A is to drop it but even in keeping it, there is a fixable solution. If it weren't for running pick the winners I wouldn't even pay attention to the rest of the season. As it is I usually don't watch the last few races of the season anymore.

I get the thought behind it, but it hasn't delivered the numbers they thought it would. It's even worse now in that we only have 11 or 12 full time pros in the nitro classes. Yawn, you knock off 2 of them.

You knock off two, (but the thing that most people hate the most) is you position 8 or more others for a possible title chase. Don't complain about knocking the obvious losers off, complain about setting others up to win .... under the old system people stopped watching much earlier (well they switched to football).

But if a team like Elite, gets their act together with their Hemi cars, they could have a chance.
Not sure where it stands right now but if a team has already clinched based on the old system, it gets boring too.......

Well I wonder if Ken is telling us everything he knows about Elite and Mopars for countdown ??? :rolleyes:

You knock off two, (but the thing that most people hate the most) is you position 8 or more others for a possible title chase. Don't complain about knocking the obvious losers off, complain about setting others up to win .... under the old system people stopped watching much earlier (well they switched to football).
look at the numbers, people still turn off, often in bigger numbers.

Football will always be a bigger draw. The only way to avoid that is to have the season end at Indy (They could start earlier then) Teams would have a longer off season, more teams could use sept/oct to make money and spread exposure by match racing.

Just curious?
So an NFL team goes undefeated in the regular season, then loses their first playoff game, are they also getting shafted?

Just curious?
So an NFL team goes undefeated in the regular season, then loses their first playoff game, are they also getting shafted?

They would actually lose to a playoff team then. Here we have a playoff that really isn't a playoff. One year a champion was crowned and only beat 2 "playoff" drivers through the countdown. My Lions would have a chance at the Super Bowl if once the playoff started they got to play the 49ers and Browns instead of the Packers and Patriots.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back