My take/suggestion on the Countdown (1 Viewer)

lmhb oyf

Nitro Member
Having sat back and observed the "Countdown" from a fan's perspective over the past two seasons, I reserved judgement and opinion despite my initial resistance to it. I figured I'd give it a fair shake.

Naturally, with Tim Wilkerson being in the position he was in this season, I REALLY scrutinized it with some admitted bias.

That being said, I have always tended to agree with PJ's position that it's unnecessary and ultimately not indicative of the season champion.

While I understand the NHRA's decision to implement it and their hopes that it would bring new fans and new excitement to the sport, I just don't see where the numbers have supported their marketing plan. Sure, it made for some number crunching over the last few races but has it REALLY drawn in new fans?

Furthermore, the system as it is currently set up has basically diminished the determined effort it takes to win a single race while awarding mediocracy. There simply isn't enough of a separation between winning and just going a couple of rounds.

Therefore, my suggestion to tweak the Countdown (conceding that it's not going away) is to award bonus points for wins achieved prior to resetting the points. In other words, reset the points for the top 10 as the current countdown sits but award an extra 20 points per win earned leading up to the countdown for each driver.

That way the season leading up to the countdown has more meaning and at the same time rewards drivers for their hard earned wins.

I admit to having the same bias, Drew. Watching it slip away from Wilk was painful.

For what it's worth, I think your idea is a good one.

Sean D

Drew,

I really like your idea! I would actually be happy with that one.

Regards,

Michael

The one thing I would add to that would be to let everyone keep their oildown freebies after the points are reset.

What you suggest would probably be an improvement; NASCAR did much the same for the 2008 season.

However, I think sometimes we lose sight of the goal.

Say you decided to come up with a better way to balance your checkbook other than using a pencil and paper. You spend some time learning to use an abacus, and decide to automate it. It takes a while to devise the correct motors to move the beads, along with finding out that hand carving them out of aluminum billet makes for better response. You add a small microprocessor so that you can attach a keyboard for faster entry. It's not perfect, but now you have a faster way to make sure your accounts are correct.

Or you could buy a 99 cent calculator at the dollar store.

It's all about changes just for the sake of change. The two major enhancements of the chase were supposed to be increased fan interest and additional major media coverage.

Glendora would be hard pressed to provide data on the fan interest, though according to the methodology they could probably make some sort of case.

As for the major media, it ain't happened. Nothing to speak of in Sports Ilustrated, ESPN Sports Center (and they have broadcast rights!), Newsweek, any major TV network, and barely a mention in even the dying major-market newspapers desperate for ready-to-print coverage.

I commend the NHRA for trying to do something, but there comes a time to admit the plan isn't working. However, admitting mistakes has never been something you see very often on Financial Way.

I don't want to throw rocks at your plan, Drew, since it probably is an improvement. But, I suppose, so is putting lipstick on a pig.

Drew:

I also like your idea as a “Fix” to the countdown to the championship that NHRA is bound and determined to keep. It would reward the teams that have worked hard during the season to EARN those event victories. I think that is a great start, however, doesn’t NASCAR do the same thing? To me, it would be just putting a band-aid on a cut that needs stitches. The biggest problem I have with “the Countdown” is the lack of creative thinking. Surely there would be a better system that not only would peak the interest of new fans, but also bring back some excitement for those diehards. The other night, I had a conversation with a guy who knows more about the history of our sport than any other single person I’ve ever met….(I have not met “Ma” Green, but may have when I used to hang out at “the county” when I was just a little kid!) This current NHRA driver suggested that they would like to see the old points system come back. They did not argue about who was “The Real Champion”, as everyone played by the same rules. They thought that in funny car, WILK “deserved” to be the champion for being the most “CONSISTANT” car during the year, but so did Cruz for playing by the rules and coming up HUGE when they needed to. So, we talked and I asked them about the history of the points system. They told me that the point system as we knew it did not begin until the 1974 season, (Ironically the year after I was born). Prior to this from 1964-1973 the “world champion” was the winner of the World Finals (the first year of the finals was 1964 and as Karl stated in another thread, you had to QUALIFY to race at this event.) As the conversation continued, we started to talk about the Nostalgia racing scene, and the great races we remembered growing up. Some of our fondest memories were “MATCH RACES” between Snake vs. Goose, Shirley vs. Big Daddy, Stone, Woods and Cook vs. KS Pittman and so on. We also remembered that these Match Races drew (no pun intended) great attendance, and even were marketed well on Radio and sometimes TV adds. It was like a heavy weight fight! So, we finished up our conversation and then I went to bed, and I had this “Dream”….

What if… The NHRA went back to the original Point system for the first 22 races of the 24 FULL THROTTLE NHRA DRAG RACING SERIES. Once Virginia or whatever race is number 22 was completed the points were tabulated and the following “Playoff” system was created.

- This Playoff would include positions 2 through 9 in the season long standing and consist of a “single day, single elimination tournament” (very similar to the Bud Shootout, Skoal Shootout races) and occur on Saturday of the Las Vegas National Event, (event 23). The #1 car would not be included in this tournament.

- The qualifying for the “National Event” would occur on Thursday and Friday for pro cars, (two sessions on each day) so that this tourney would truly be independent of the national event, (meaning runs completed during this tourney would not be applicable to qualifying for Sunday’s event.)

- The winner of this event would be given the right to challenge the #1 car from the season long point’s championship, (who would receive $100,000 for their efforts during the year as a Bonus) at a (BEST 3 out of 5) Match race to be completed at the World Finals. The draw back to this is that these two teams would not be eligible to compete in the final national event; however, WINNER of the Match Race is your world champion. The runner up is your Number 2. They would be able to make “Test Runs” during the regular qualifying sessions, Thursday, Friday and the first session Saturday. The first round of the Match Race would be Saturday AFTER the final pro session of the day. Lane choice goes to the #1 car. From Pro Bike to Top Fuel, when conditions were PRIME! The remaining races would begin Sunday morning, (the last cars after round 1 was completed).

I see many advantages to this:

- It rewards the season long point’s leader by giving them the right to challenge the winner of the tourney in a TRUE PLAYOFF format, (best of series) and lane choice in the first round.

- It gives the winner of the Tourney a chance to win the championship if they “BEAT THE BEST” HEADS UP!

- It creates “Rivalry” and a “Buzz”. It does not copy any other motorsport, and is UNIQUE to our sport, brings back some of the most successful and exciting moments of our sport, however follows the pattern of other “SUCESSFUL” sporting playoff series.

- It validates the importance of finishing #1 during the season, and finishing in the top 9 as well. (Let’s face it; anyone in the top 9 in all the pro classes could win a race on any given Sunday!)

- It provides EXPOSURE and Incentive to sponsors for this MATCH RACE, and the Tourney, but we don’t have that “ONLY FOCUS ON THE COUNTDOWN CARS” marketing from Indy to the Finals.

- And so many more…

The positions 3-9 would be based on the position you finished in the PLAYOFF RACE. Example:

3rd place is the runner up

4th and 5th Semi Finals (highest position to the best losing ET…if a Tie…SPEED….if another tie...RT…if another tie..Season long points….if another tie...head to head competition…Yeah I have thought this out)

6 thru 9 first round loss…. (See above)

Lastly we get rid of the buzz word, “COUNTDOWN TO THE CHAMPIONSHIP” and call it what it is, the Full Throttle NHRA Drag Racing Series. No need to hype it up with a Cleaver name. We get back to basics, but spice it up a bit.

….Thoughts?

Timmah!

What should you do with a new fan? Explain to them how the Countdown works, how bracket racing works, or how comp works? :D

With anything other than "The driver that accumulates the most points in a season is the champion" I have zero interest in "championships."

Last edited:
I think their initial thinking that nobody can run away with the championship was proved otherwise by Tony this season. Instead of running away with 800+ points, it was only like 200 and some. Either way...it ruined it for me because I kept saying the leaders, with the exception of one, didn't deserve to be in the position they were.

What should you do with a new fan? Explain to them how the Countdown works, how bracket racing works, or how comp works? :D

With anything other than "The driver that accumulates the most points in a season is the champion" I have zero interest in "championships."

Well first you would have to find the "new fans" that the countdown brings in then explain why 2/3 of the way through the season all the leaders get penalized.

Sure that make sense..........just ask Wilk.

Drew, Tim, while I still hate the CD system cause it doesn't work. IF nhra insiste on keeping it, then you BOTH have some great ideas.

Also Kevan is absolutely right, DO NOT take away oil down freebies earned thru the year.

I actually found the 2007 countdown more exciting. I think they should tweak that version, adding 3 events for the last phase instead of 2, but I thought the idea of cutting it 8 to 4 was unique to drag racing and our love of doubling from four on (4-8-16-32-64-128-car fields)

If you are going to have a playoff, then make it a playoff! Earn points all the way up to Indy, then take your top 6 and every race from there until Pomona bottom person drops from the points battle. When you get to Pomona the last 2 standing will be the ones that race for the title. Put some excitement in the thing:):p

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back