Why We Race (1 Viewer)

tomcat

Nitro Member
A friend of mine in Canada sent me an email the other day that explained why people play hockey. We both share a passion for the game, and when I read the essay, some of what was written made me think about Drag Racing, so I adapted it to fit our sport based on some of my fondest memories of bracket racing. I sure can’t take credit for the idea of the essay, just thought some of you might enjoy reading my version of some of the reasons why we race and why it’s all worth whatever it takes to get there. Not a day goes by that I don’t think about it and miss it. My goal now is not to get back for myself, but hopefully one day to get there with my son and watch him enjoy the things I had enjoyed once.

“Why We Race”

The roughest, hardest, most irresponsible group of men in the world will do anything to be able to repeat a great racing story to their buddies during a bench racing session. We will do anything to live the dream, and then when we can’t do it anymore, we will realize that we never really made it. As far as we are concerned, ladies love us, other men want to be us, and we are the soul of the universe. We will put on that fire suit in the middle of a 100 degree day, put on the gloves and neck brace, and strap on the helmet and get in the car and nothing else matters. It doesn’t matter if you failed a test that day, or if your girlfriend or wife is being mean. It doesn’t matter if you got a ticket on the way to the track, once you roll through those gates and hear the other cars and know that you are there, all of the world’s troubles will wash away and your stress will cease to exist. In this, one of the loudest and most intense places you can be, we will be calm and happy. All is perfect with the world for the next several hours. Here’s to long hours in the pits and staging lanes with friends, staging duels, double breakout win lights, “00” lights, dead on passes, the adrenaline rush before, during and after the pass, the joy of winning the round and preparing for the next, and the disappointment of the long slow drive back to the trailer when you don’t get the win. Here’s to spending all night at Denny’s with your friends talking for hours about a few passes that together total less than 1 minute of time. Here’s to the sport we love, Drag Racing.
Why?
Why do we work long hours all week to drive back and forth to the track weekend after weekend for our hobby? Staying up so late at night and working so hard that we think we can’t go on another minute. Late nights, early mornings, Friday nights, Saturday afternoons, bloody, skinned knuckles, and the smell of oil and gas on your clothes. Still we race through it all. Because we live off our adrenaline, because it frees our spirit, because we feel we are invincible when we strap ourselves into that car, because the party in the pits after a win is second to none, because one split second leaving the line first, or one split second getting to the finish line first can make you smile for the rest of the week. It’s the sound and smell of the cars in the burn-out box, the feel of the steering wheel in your hand, the looks from the spectators as they watch you strap in, and the knowledge that you know that they wish they were you for that instant. The feel of the car on the 2 step, the car leaving off the trans-brake, the air shifter hitting hard, the brief moment to catch your breath as you think about your light and wonder if you should take the stripe or dump your opponent. All of these things are a rhythm to live by, because it IS possible to drive fast enough to leave your worries behind. Sweat is the cologne of our accomplishment.
Why?
Why would someone push themselves so hard the uneducated would ask? Why would anyone focus so hard on one thing that they will ignore most other sports or hobbies. It’s never been for the money. It’s never been for the glory, it’s never been for the girls or even for the fame, or the hope of fame. We race because we are Racers and we LOVE it, and LIVE for it!! If you are a Racer and you are proud to be one, share this with pride and let everyone know the reasons why you love the sport so much!

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back