Why we care about Barbaro (1 Viewer)

ProStockJunkie

Nitro Member
I've never been this 'involved' with the welfare of a horse I never met.
I hope this magnificent colt beats all the odds.

Why we care about Barbaro
by rob charry
Boston.metro.us
JUL 17

Someone asked me this past week why we care so much about a horse and why we are so drawn to the daily updates about his gallant fight for life. Aside from the fact that Barbaro won the biggest race of the year, the Kentucky Derby, by the widest margin of victory in a Derby in 60 years, let me explain why it seems so natural for this city to love a horse who won the equivalent of a Super Bowl, Word Series, Stanley Cup and NBA championship in his sport.

A horse doesn’t get accused of assaulting his wife, take the mound two days later and then take a few weeks to iron out his problems, and then get back on the mound again yesterday.

A horse doesn’t complain he’s a scapegoat when he’s criticized for not playing and/or not acknowledging the paying customers on Fan Appreciation Night.

A horse doesn’t say that talk show callers are crazy and lament that negative fans are in part responsible for his team’s woes — for the past 13 years.

A horse doesn’t tell you his franchise is the “gold standard” and act like he’s won a Super Bowl, before he actually has won a Super Bowl.

A horse doesn’t tell us he’s improved his hockey team, which again got knocked out in the first round of the playoffs, by signing several no-name free agents.

A horse doesn’t promise to change the culture of his playoff-challenged team and then proceed to watch for a couple of weeks while nearly every other team changes players and the “culture” of their franchises.

A horse doesn’t tell us his wide receivers are good enough to win a championship, when they’re clearly not even good enough to win a division.

A horse doesn’t tell you they’re still in the wild card race when they are six games out, with seven teams sitting in front of them.

A horse wouldn’t dare ask for your patience for a few more years so they can rebuild a baseball team for the 10,000th time, just in case they’re not in the wild card race.

A horse doesn’t feign surprise when history continues to repeat itself and his hockey team’s deficiencies are exposed in the playoffs year after year.

A horse doesn’t get tired in the Super Bowl or write about the fact that he’s not the one who got tired in the Super Bowl. Or that he wasn’t referring to a certain quarterback who may or may not have gotten sick in the huddle but we’ll never really know because it’s none of our business. There are certain things mere mortals like fans can’t fathom and aren’t entitled to have knowledge of, even though we live and die with the team every single day of every single week of every single year.

A horse would never ask us to pray for his sorry team. Sorry, Charlie, if I’m praying for anything or anybody this week or any week, it’s for Barbaro to live a long, peaceful life and hopefully sire champion race horses. It’s the best we can hope for at this moment and time.

A horse doesn't choose to get ridden by a person having to run full out while the rider whips his ass.

I hate Horse Racing.

A horse doesn't choose to get ridden by a person having to run full out while the rider whips his ass.

I hate Horse Racing.

Me too, but I happen to love horses. I'm heart broken over this colt. And this only strengthens my opposition to the 'sport'.

The only thing worse is Steeplechase racing. Running Full out AND jumping fences

Great post Jackee,
Besides, any human without a place in their heart for animals is probably missing a very important gene, don't you think?
This is one very special horse and I'm glad I got to see him perform.
I sincerely hope he beats this infection and is able to recover to live a pastured life and I really hope he is able to produce offspring.

I started riding (ponies) when I was about 2 years old. Went on to show & train hunters & jumpers and to teach horseback riding before I ever got involved with drag racing. Horses have always been in my life and I am 'cautiously optimistic' about Barbaro's hopes for survival. Every day I check the internet for the latest update.

Foundering is a very serious condition for any horse, and especially for this youngster, as they have already taken away 80% of his left hoof. Infection can show up at any time. They have him on heavy dosages of antibiotics in addition to the heavy pain killers. Infection can still come. He can also founder in one of his front feet, in which case the Doctors tending to him and his owners, have said they will humanely euthanize him. I believe they will be changing the cast on both legs shortly.

He's proven he's a fighter, and God knows he's in the fight of his life. The odds are stacked against him. This is a day by day wait and see situation for this colt, his doctors, his owners and his many fans. Every day baskets of carrots, apples and other treats are delivered to this magnificent animal. (Roses too) If he should survive, it will be many, many months of treatment, thearapy and care. Even then, there is no guarantee that he will be able to sire other race horses. The Thoroughbred Association requires that stud horses and mares actually mate and Barbaro may not be able to do this because both of his back legs/feet have been severely damaged. They do not use artificial insemination as is allowed in other breeds.

Last edited:
One more good thing: Horses, (nor their owners) demand that the taxpayers spend 250 million dollars on a new facility!

They're finally starting to 'get it'.

For about 40 years, I've been saying that 2 years old is too early for a thoroughbred (or any horse) to be racing.

Also, I believe the only reason Barbaro has drawn attention to the state of thoroughbred racing, is because so far, he's survived. If he'd been put down right after the injury, he'd just be another one added to the 'humanly euthanized' list mentioned.

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=110880

Now that he's gotten the attention of so many people in the industry, let's see what they're going to do about it. Not holding MY breath. :mad:

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back