stupid lawsuit threatens Maskin (1 Viewer)

CrewGuy

Nitro Member
After reading the story , I am just in awe. How can you confuse "Big O" with "Big M" ? I think Dick Maskin is getting a raw deal here!

What the F is wrong with people???

Well I guess McDonalds can go after Big O. I could mistake a Big Mac with my tires and try to order a P235/70/R16 in the drive thru.

Come on Big O........

Well sorry Baca and there other racing effort Big O supports. But you won't EVER get a penny from me.

I hope there is enough brains left in our judicial system to throw this one out.

After reading the story , I am just in awe. How can you confuse "Big O" with "Big M" ? I think Dick Maskin is getting a raw deal here!
"O" MY!! What a "BIG" bunch of B.S. Sounds like our "BIG" DADDY better watch out... He may be next...
I'll find another tire store from now on... Sorry David, you know I love ya... Baca that is... America, wake up!!

I feel bad for Maskin, in the article he states he fought it a few years ago, and now he has to fight it again. Usually, you would have to hire 2 attorneys, 1 patent attorney and 1 litigator to handle the courtroom proceedings. Having 2 attorneys is not cheap. At some point he will reach the saturation point where legal fees will offset or exceed any profit to be gleaned from the product. My guess is this is what Big O is counting on, and that's why they keep the case open. It's crappy, but not uncommon in patent/copyright/trademark proceedings.

Just the information I needed. Do they think we're all stupid. I meant to go to Big O tires but headed up buying a set of aluminum heads by accident. Big O loses all my tire business. And by the way Big O i've got 9 cars and trucks and counting.

http://www.bigotires.com/default.aspx?Page=ContactUs&Category=Company
If it bothers you as it did me, tell Big "O" how you feel! I did:

Your lawsuit filed by Matthew Cuccias against Richard Maskin regarding Big M racing components has about the same merit as O.J. Simpson's ongoing search to find his wife's real murderer. It has come to light on message boards across the internet into our homes.
I read the contents of the suit and have determined your company is willing to sacrifice it's good name in an effort to make some fruitless point.
The result, in effect has convinced me to make a choice based on my moral convictions. My entire family and I have been customers of both Big "O" and Richard Maskin's Big "M" products but we'll discontinue any further dealings with Big "O" without reservation. Of course, I'll continue to purchase Mr. Maskin's products without reservations as long as they maintain their superior quality and as long as Mr. Maskin doesn't stoop to such levels as your company has over this silly unrelated name infringement. Attempting to drag Mr. Maskin into the mire has only soiled your company, your reputation and your good name.
Bobby Miller
Former Big "O" customer
Longterm Big "M" customer

This is 100% bs, this should be thrown out and O should hvae to pay M legal fees

Dose anybody remember when "SPIKE TV" network came out?

Spike Lee tried doing something simular to this.

Of course Spkie TV's pockets were probably al ittle deeper and won out.

This is absolutely ridiculous! Who the hell does Big O Tires think they are? They are not similiar in no way, shape or form. I don't even know how this could be a valid lawsuit, it's totally ludicrous!!!!

Any patent and trademark lawyer will tell you that, as a company, you must go after any other company you see that may be infringing on your copyright. It doesn't matter a whit what they sell, because if you land in court, and the other company can prove you made an exception in another case, you may have a decision go against you. So you go after every single instance you see. Regardless of what the other product may be.

"Big O" is owned by TBC Corporation. And TBC is now owned by Sumitomo Corporation of America, an even bigger fish. Look at their website company index page, and you'll see they're into aerospace, automotive and construction, chemicals and plastics, foodstuffs and fertilizer media and electronics, power, minerals, and the list goes on and on. They're huge. My guess is, when SCOA acquired TBC back in November '05, the new corporate sharks looked all of TBC's legal stuff over, and decided to refile this.

Yeah, sometimes it sucks for the little guy. I feel bad for Maskin, and sure hope he prevails in this mess.

Welcome to the business world.

The first thing I thought when I read about "Big O" was that I'm surprised they haven't sued the real "O"

Then I read the article and found out they did that too.

What a crock.

Dose anybody remember when "SPIKE TV" network came out?

Spike Lee tried doing something simular to this.

Of course Spkie TV's pockets were probably al ittle deeper and won out.

I may be wrong, but I don't remember them winning.

They actually operated under the name for a short time before Lee sued them for an injunction. As I remember, the network had so much money invested in station breaks, branding, commercials, etc. that they settled with Lee for a considerable amount of money.

Yes, it was a total crock. I only have this memory because at the time I thought how unjust the whole thing was.

A variant of what Big O is trying here is not unknown in the tech world. There are actually companies whose entire income is derived from patent and trademark lawsuits. They produce nothing but court briefs, and sue on the most flimsy case.

It's not like Richard is on the same financial level of Joe's Local Speed shop, but when compared to Sumitomon he's just an ant to be squashed after his pockets are emptied.

Do ants even have pockets?

Regardless, as all the others have mentioned this is a travesty.

Sent an email to "Big O" and reminded them that there are thousands of NHRA members and fans who might not be using their products if this lawsuit continues.

I urge everybody on the Mater to do the same......never hurts to be heard.

Owned by a large Japanese Corp... Also off my shopping list of vendors and or suppliers, business and personal, NTB, Merchants Tires, any metal supplier related to the parent corp... never piss off a purchacing agent:mad:

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back