Jerry Tolivers Body In Denver (1 Viewer)

The roof and supports can be put back on the body, and the body can still be repaired. WJ should pay to what it cost to repair the roof and put the supports back in, and that's all he should be responsible for paying for. The rest of the story is just BS. It happened, it could have been avoided by both parties, but it did happen. Get over it, have it repaired and just move on in life.

Maybe NHRA will let them run a Toyota convertible.

I always suspected that WJ was an old fuel altered fan.

Hey Rapid, you may have just found a new body style for the "Nitro Madness"

"That will be changing VERY soon, RooMan... for entirely different issues..

And I'd rather have the nose fly off in front of me than have the lid come off around my noggin.. don't you agree?? "

Martin,
actually having the nose fly off was a little bit ugly in Tony's case as a chunk of the body got wedged in the butterflies and stuck them wide open resulting in a banged blower when Tony shut the motor off. In Tommy's case the body was well behind him when it imploded and all he suffered was "instant roadster" syndrome.

Roo

Umm, I think if I had a bag with $60,000 sitting in the pits (since JT thinks that pile of crap is worth that much) I would have someone sit with it. Especially if "the guys simply went to rent a truck and take a shower."

If anyone should be having their pay docked, the guys that were responsible for transporting the body to Roush would be at the top of my short list. If it was mine, a note would not even be good enough, that thing would have it's own personal body guard, pardon the pun.

I have no sympathy for someone that does not look after their own possessions. At the very LEAST, that body should have been moved out of ANYONE's way, and definitely not left in someone's path. Grab a brain. It's really too bad because I know JT's team is scraping along, but that was a very costly mistake by a team that can't afford it.

Umm, I think if I had a bag with $60,000 sitting in the pits (since JT thinks that pile of crap is worth that much) I would have someone sit with it. Especially if "the guys simply went to rent a truck and take a shower."

If anyone should be having their pay docked, the guys that were responsible for transporting the body to Roush would be at the top of my short list. If it was mine, a note would not even be good enough, that thing would have it's own personal body guard, pardon the pun.

I have no sympathy for someone that does not look after their own possessions. At the very LEAST, that body should have been moved out of ANYONE's way, and definitely not left in someone's path. Grab a brain. It's really too bad because I know JT's team is scraping along, but that was a very costly mistake by a team that can't afford it.

Body was delivered new April 5th, 2007- had just had tin and trees installed before arrival.

ToliverTnTday215.jpg

April 5, 2007

Run on average 4 times over 9 weekends (a total of 36 passes; no more than 45 passes including testing).

How could a body that is 4 months old be considered a dilapidated piece of junk ( or as Ginger so eloquently put it, "that pile of crap is worth that much"), when its only true damage was to its nosepiece due to the accident? What is the average lifespan of a $50,000 Carbon Fibre Nitro Funny Car body? And what consideration scale of devaluation should be established on this particular car, and for all cars, for that matter?

Do drag cars devaluate as rapidly (or more so) than your average, high end automobile, such as Porsche or Ferrari? If so, why? Could it be said that if this incident had happened to another team- one more successful like Force, or a different fan base, like Densham, that the attitude would be considerably different. And what of the team members of the guilty party? Are they less guilty of their actions because they belong to such a revered team in drag racing? Would the attitudes be different had the guilty party been a members of the Mopar team? Gordie Rivera’s team? Larry Nance’s team?

Look at the race car in your garage/shop, if you even have one… Is it devalued as much as the percentage that this body is being judged by? Do you feel that that is a fair assessment of your investment? And as far as sitting in the pits and have to "have someone sit with it"- please remember- this is the NHRA PRO pits... WHY should you have to worry about a bunch of people coming along and trashing your personal property??? :confused:

Yes, I guess that someone should have sat in the pits and protected their team's personal property from the buzzards in Warren's crew.. their bad. Maybe they just thought everyone there was not looking to pick over a carcass of a car that was not that badly damaged :rolleyes:...At that level of "professionalism", you would think they would not be over picking at the remains..

By the way Ginger, your post makes you sound like an ass... I can only hope that one day you don't suffer the same consequences of your own personal ride, because, as you so intelligently put it, "I have no sympathy for someone that does not look after their own possessions".. You would be pretty pissed at yourself for just assuming that everyone is at the same greed level as you..

Last edited:
GO Martin GO Martin GO
I agree 100% put these keyboard racers in there place. Until you have been there as a car owner or crewmember then keep your mouth shut. Some people think that as spectators they know all!!!

Umm, I think if I had a bag with $60,000 sitting in the pits (since JT thinks that pile of crap is worth that much) I would have someone sit with it.

So, do you park your car when you go shopping, or leave it home and take a ride? If you left your car in a parking lot, wouldn't you expect it to be there when you return... Since you left it there, by your resoning, anyone would be entitled to take it and it would be your own fault.

A pit is basically "home" for the duration and it doesn't matter if it is a pair of pliers, if it is not in yours you leave it alone or ask permission.

Although the body did cost $50K plus when JT took delivery of it it was definitely in an abused state following the trip into the sand trap. It was in fact unuseable following the incident so that further devalues it.
If in fact all of the parts removed from the shell by WJ's guys were returned intact the offer of $9000 by the Prof is probably pretty much in line with what it would take to repair the body and if JT played his cards right he could probably get the frontal damage fixed in the same package so he would actually be ahead money wise. A complete Impala front clip (from the windshield forward is $8K so the smaller portion that would be needed to fix the Toyota should be less than half that much. The rest of the body also suffered in the tip over if the photo that has been posted is any indication so JT would have been paying for that anyway so I would respectfully suggest that he take the money that WJ is offering and move on. Any other course of action is only going to benefit the lawyers.

Roo

Some of you need to get over it,you're acting like the WJ guys are common theives. Sure they might have been wrong but I don't see the big deal,it will get worked out. Like Roo Man said,the $9K WJ offered is plenty considering the previous damage to the body. This deal like most about WJ comes from the point if you like him or not,so let the powers that be handle it.

When I park my car somewhere, my racecar or my streetcar, it is SECURED! This would not happen to bigger race teams, because the body would not have been left laying around like trash if they had a use for it.

I really don't care if I come across as an ass on this topic because, I'm entitled to an opinion. I have had things stolen from me, even a car from the mall oddly enough, but it was our fault for driving a vehicle with a soft top on it. Had I used someother means to secure the vehicle it would have been much more difficult to steal. I've learned my lessons. What do you think happened to the guy who stole our Jeep? A slap on the wrist, and that was for a $26,000 vehicle. Now he did get in a little more trouble for some Federal property he lifted.:D

When I leave my car in the parking lot, I expect it to be there when I return. Now, If I was ready to leave the mall, and pulled off the dented front fenders of my car, and left them in front of the guys car that I parked next to . . . No, I wouldn't expect them to be there when I returned, especially if there were valuable accessories attached to those fenders . . . In fact I would expect to get a ticket for dumping if someone found out I was the one who left them there.

By the way, leaving something in the PRO pits is all the more reason to make sure it isn't left unattended.

I'm not a bad or insensitive person, but if you have something of value in this country, you need to take care of it! Or someone else will take care of it for you!

Last edited:
A pit is basically "home" for the duration and it doesn't matter if it is a pair of pliers, if it is not in yours you leave it alone or ask permission.

The problem is the "duration" had lapsed. The pit was clean and no sign of crew, transporter, etc. As WJ said, there weren't even any clutch discs or floaters left laying around. . . They were Gone.

On a side note, I heard that WJ instructed his crew to pull all the titanium off the body, I don't see that in any of the reports online, but that was one rumor floating around the pits last weekend in Seattle.

As being a keyboard racer/spectator I must apologize. I didn't know I had to be a current car owner/driver to be able to tell right from wrong or have an opinion. I also didn't know that was a qualification for the office of God/judge or jury. I have been a racer and have probably worn out more steering wheels that most of the so called experts have tires. With the attitudes some have I hope they never have to go sponsor hunting because the lowly spectators are the reason the sponsors spend the money. I could never imagine Force or the DON making such a statement. But they are the Pros.

I think that they can sell the remaining shell to a super gas racer-they love topless roadsters for the visions they provide.

I always suspected that WJ was an old fuel altered fan.

Hey Rapid, you may have just found a new body style for the "Nitro Madness"

Jeremy,

I was looking at that picture of the body and thinking,,,,YA KNOW<<<:D

WJ a AA/FA fan, lets see:

He is from the Midwest, likes door slammers, and now owns a fiberglass roadster ;)

Rapid is from the Midwest, came from Pro Mod's and Outlaw Pro-Street cars, and I own a fiberglass roadster, ;)

Maybe WJ is taking after me after all! :p

Rapid

The problem is the "duration" had lapsed.

I am not going to apologize for having a rigid set of ethics. Regardless of where something is "laying about" if it is not yours, you leave it. If it is something that may be of value, you try to find it's owner to return it.

Just because others feel they have a right to take whatever they want and when ever does not put them in the right. This applies to all possessions. I understand and accept that if I lose something it is my fault for being careless and that I may not get it back, but it doesn't mean that the person(s) who found or took it is justified in their deed. Have I had things taken or stolen from me in the past? yes. Is that important to this discussion? no. Does it change my point of view? no. Does it mean that you cannot have a point of view? no. Ultimately, does all of this matter? not really.

Oh, and if the duration had lapsed, there would have been no racing teams left at the track. imo

Georginna you make great points. I think you do know... ultimately all of this stuff does matter. Ethical and trustworthy behavior make a huge difference in the quality of life in a society and in preserving the integrity of the sport.

Ginger you maybe making an apples and orange comparison, of course it makes very real and practical sense to protect your own stuff but you are not ethically bound to do so--as that is not an issue of your honesty, but taking somebody else's stuff is. If we follow that train of thought getting caught is the only thing that keeps us honest, otherwise it's finders keepers with no plain responsibility to not take what isn't yours. I don't see it that way and you can trust me on that.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back