INDY, 2016 (1 Viewer)

DrRocket

Nitro Member
I ain't getting any younger. There's no doubt about that, so this year, I've decided to scratch another automotive event off of my bucket list. The missus has graciously agreed to join me in attending "The Big Go" this coming Labor Day weekend. I've been wanting to make this race since first reading about it in the pages of "Hot Rod" magazine back in the early 60s.

Since I know many of my fellow 'maters have been there many times, I figured I'd start this thread to seek some advice from Indy veterans and tap into that rich vein of experience.

This'll be my fourth trip to Indy, and I've gotten to know the town itself pretty well, so don't need any advice about things to do, places to eat, etc. Got that down pretty pat. In fact, I have already made the hotel reservations.

I'm talking about the track & event to which I've never been. Best way to get there. Where to park. Best place to sit. Best ticket packages. Racing team open houses. Any associated can't-miss car shows.

Any advice from you folks will be very much appreciated.

Park at the Farmers lot on the corner of County rd 1000 and 300. I think the current rate is $6 and you are closer to the entrance then parking in the main lots and it is much cheaper.

If going for at least 4 days, the 6 day super pass is a better deal.

There is a discount t-shirt tent, spectator side at the entrance from campground/parking lot about 1/2 way down. Sells previous race shirts for a good deal.

Force has on open house Thursday, Schumacher on Friday. I have yet to make the Force one but Schumacher puts on a nice event.

Not positive but I didn't think Force has not had his open house the past 2 years.
Sitting on the east side in the am and the west side in the pm will keep the sun out of your eyes and at your back. It's always hundreds of degrees hot in the stands!
Spend at least one round of fuel cars standing down by the finish line.
Prepare for miles of walking, the Indy pits are huge.

I've been a couple times and have done the Wed-Mon GA ticket for approx. $175. I think the weekend only tickets hit a little more so it seems to be the best bang for the buck if going GA. I like the top end where all the action goes down(except for all the times TJ Zizzo blew it up before the top end this past year :() The car corral on the west side is full of so much incredible stuff and you can keep looking at them day in and out and find more and more to see with each car. The west side also has the sportsman/pro mod/pro stock pits and it's huge. I like walking around there and checking out all the different types of rides. Ran up on Jerry Savoie's pit and talked to him a few minutes. They also do some type of theme it seems from what I've seen. This past year it was gassers doing 1/8 mile races and in 2011 they had nostalgia dragsters doing a cacklefest at the end of I think the final qualifying night.
Do get you a few cooling towels for your neck/head. I was surprised(maybe I shouldn't have been) that Indiana ended up having late Alabama Summer weather when I got up there this past year. The Toyota guys were handing out neck cooling wraps if you signed up for communication from them. I usually skip this but the heat won out. Also save up some money for food, it is all about the same price for drinks no matter what the booth and there are only two water fountains on the site from what I know, both on west side. There was also a BBQ booth doing a stellar brisket sandwich :DThey had a couple port-a-cool fans last year one on each side and were a God send. I don't know about other tracks but after the event they let you walk the track and just walking down that historic track makes the trip all worth it. Also it was cool while walking the track after the race seeing Force drive his grandson up and down the track on his scooter. I've also been to Zmax and it doesn't in the slightest measure up. It's just what I feel is a magical place full of history and I know it will sound weird but it's like this place has a soul of it's own.
I'm glad you're going to go this year. You will enjoy it. I'm sure of it. Enjoy!

Nothing weird bout it Mike, to me Indy absolutely has a soul. So much has happened there in 50+ years, and while it may not be as nice as some of the newer facilities, there's only one Indy.

I've been a couple times and have done the Wed-Mon GA ticket for approx. $175. I think the weekend only tickets hit a little more so it seems to be the best bang for the buck if going GA. I like the top end where all the action goes down(except for all the times TJ Zizzo blew it up before the top end this past year :()

Well sorry to disappoint you Mike, we'll try harder to blow it up further down track this year.

Thanks for the replies and suggestions everyone. We've decided to splurge and go with the Top Eliminator Clubs seats. It's a ways off, and I'm already stoked!

Thanks for the replies and suggestions everyone. We've decided to splurge and go with the Top Eliminator Clubs seats. It's a ways off, and I'm already stoked!

Ok, now be sure to give us a report after you get home. (not the performance) What you liked - what you didn't like - what impressed you - any let downs-
any surprises...ect. Now enjoy !!!

The Top Eliminator Club tickets have been purchased, the hotel room has been secured, we are good to go!!! Can't wait!

I know this one race is attended by quite a few Maters. Looking forward to the meet-ups, and being able to put a face and a voice to all the folks I've been conversing with all these years!

I was lucky enough to win the old Checker Shucks Kragen online fantasy league in its first season(2004) The prize was an all expenses paid trip to Indy for 4 in 2005. The tickets were Top Eliminator club seats, which has it's own parking area. And of course all the other club amenities. That experience has spoiled the wife and I for life. That was the first and only time we've been to Indy, and vow that we will return, and it'll be Top Eliminator all the way.

The Top Eliminator Club tickets have been purchased, the hotel room has been secured, we are good to go!!! Can't wait!

I know this one race is attended by quite a few Maters. Looking forward to the meet-ups, and being able to put a face and a voice to all the folks I've been conversing with all these years!

when it gets closer we'll put mater meeting times

watched from every conceivable location....shutdown turn-off, finish line, 1000', 660, 330, starting line, behind the starting line,
staging lanes, top of tower, in tower suite, 1st row of bleachers to 30th row. if another nhra track ever makes wholesale improvements
to a TEC type of experience, wouldn't it be cool if they do it like daytona rising where there would be a mezzanine level maybe somewhere around the 15-20th row of seats......this area, along with a certain block of bleacher seating, could be sold as a TEC experience;
the ticket holders sitting somewhere around half track with their exclusive vendor/bathroom/shaded/rain protected/mezzanine level;
kinda of like being at a base ball stadium vendor concourse.
why do all the TEC's sit at or behind the starting line?....do something at half track, IMO it would be a huge draw.

the new TEC bldg. @ indy sounds really good and undoubtedly they will be able to hold many events there, but i can't help thinking the
indy TEC experience puts you a long walk away from the pro pits, unlike denver or gainesville for example.

Last edited:
The walk isn't all that long if you use the old bridge. Seeing the entire pits, on both sides, is a LOT of walking. But what a car show...

The first time I went was in 1970, been too alot of other national events over the years but nothing else compares, I sure miss those 40+ top fuel cars trying to qualify way back then! I'll be there hobbling along this year too!

why do all the TEC's sit at or behind the starting line?....do something at half track, IMO it would be a huge draw.

I have also sat virtually everywhere down there, including TEC, and this is the only reason I haven't sat there again. I get that many love sitting in that area of the track, but many of us don't. And like you, I believe having some sort of TEC in multiple areas of the track has the potential for a huge draw.

Sean D

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back