Best way to Spectate at Indy? (1 Viewer)

fueller42

Nitro Member
For all the times I've been at Indy as a crew member, I've never actually been as an actual spectator.
I've looked at the ticket options, an I see a couple options, but I'm kind of looking for the best way to
do this for the whole event, not just a couple days.
Option 1, the Top Eliminator club........obviously has some perks, but for me, the seats are just too far
away from the track. Would it still be the best way to get complete event tickets, ensuring a seat and
respite from the sun, while just watching the action from GA?

Option 2, get reserved seat for each day of the event, closer to the 330' area?

Option 3, (might not even be possible), buy a crew pass for the week, and hang out in GA?

I'm planning my time off work for next year, and decided I wanted to make Indy my destination of
choice, but want to get the most out of it as possible. Any advice/suggestions would be appreciated.

ps....by the way, I'd be willing to "donate" a small fee to a team if I could use the crew member option??

Ed, as a long time spectator, my advice is to get a top row seat around the 330' mark. You get a good view of the starting line. Plus, when people stand up in front of you, you'll still be able to see when you stand up. Usually seats in this area are reserved and you can buy on line. I think you'll see things from a different perspective as a spectator. You can watch classes you are interested in, walk around the sportsmen pits, etc. I always get to the track when the gates open, so have a chance to walk the pits before the crowds get there. Greatest car show in the world. Would recommend the first day of Q at Indy as the day to walk around and talk to racers, crew, etc. Hope you have a great time at Indy. Let your fellow Maters know how it goes.

Ed, as a long time spectator, my advice is to get a top row seat around the 330' mark. You get a good view of the starting line. Plus, when people stand up in front of you, you'll still be able to see when you stand up. Usually seats in this area are reserved and you can buy on line. I think you'll see things from a different perspective as a spectator. You can watch classes you are interested in, walk around the sportsmen pits, etc. I always get to the track when the gates open, so have a chance to walk the pits before the crowds get there. Greatest car show in the world. Would recommend the first day of Q at Indy as the day to walk around and talk to racers, crew, etc. Hope you have a great time at Indy. Let your fellow Maters know how it goes.
Consider getting seats on the west side of the track, so you aren't looking into the sun most of the day.

How many days are you planning on being at the track?
When I went to the 25th anniversary race in 1979, I was at the track Saturday, Sunday and Monday. Talk about drag racing overload.
My wife and I went to the 50 anniversary race in 2004. We went to the track on Saturday and Monday.
Both times I was able to get top row seats around the 600' mark on the west side.
If you don't plan on going to the track for the entire event, downtown Indianapolis has a lot of neat stuff to see. Monument Circle is a must visit.
The river walk is pretty neat. Plus, there is a Medal of Honor memorial made of large, lighted glass panels paying homage to American heroes who earned this nation's highest honor.
The NCAA Hall of Fame is in downtown Indy and worthy of visiting.

Thanks for the input.

I don't know if it's realistic or not, but I was considering being there for the duration. I've rekindled my love of class racing, so thought I'd like to see as much of it as possible. Since I was a top fuel guy in a past life, I enjoy it for it's wow moments, but the variety of the class stuff tends to interest me more now.

Ted, thanks for the recommendations. I would definitely work some off track visits into my trip. Also, any other "must go" recommendations ie. restaurants, museums etc., are appreciated. Depending on the weather predictions of the time, I may trailer my bike down with me as well, if anyone has any good day trip suggestions?

All input is welcome. I'm not a real stickler for schedules etc., but I figured I had better start planning now rather than just winging it completely. I suspect this will be a "once in a lifetime" holiday for me, and I'm still deciding just how much time I'm going to take. I'm toying with the idea of going to Sturgis then making my way to Indy on my way back home to Southern Ontario. It's all still very early in the planning stages. Keep the input coming! :)

Ed, as a long time spectator, my advice is to get a top row seat around the 330' mark. You get a good view of the starting line. Plus, when people stand up in front of you, you'll still be able to see when you stand up.

Depends how tall you are. If the guy in front is 6-4 and you are 5-7, not much chance. Stand on your seat? Doesn't help if the 6-4 guy is standing on his seat because the people in front are standing on theirs. I speak from experience.

Hence, I always buy TEC - best value in motorsport. Usually covers all days of the race and nothing to stop you wandering off to sit in GA whenever you want.

My favorite time is Q5, after the fuel cars run most spectators leave, the hardcore stick around (you can make some new friends) usually Pro Mod and Alcohol classes finish up the night and and there is a ton of activity in the pits to stay entertained for hours.
Also on Tuesday the Motor Speedway is a must, to visit the museum (closed for 2024), get a ride around the track or if you luck out watch some IndyCar testing

Depends how tall you are. If the guy in front is 6-4 and you are 5-7, not much chance. Stand on your seat? Doesn't help if the 6-4 guy is standing on his seat because the people in front are standing on theirs. I speak from experience.

Hence, I always buy TEC - best value in motorsport. Usually covers all days of the race and nothing to stop you wandering off to sit in GA whenever you want.
That is the reason I go with general admission when possible. If your around somebody that is taking the enjoyment out of it, you can easily move a few rows up or a section over if needed.

I did top eliminator a few times, it was nice but as I had more and more friends I'd meet up with at the track I wasn't able to sit with them. Now I do the all race pass, go Fri-Mon and sit in GA. It's a little further down track then I would normally sit but as long as I can see the track, there is no bad seat :)

i always sit it ga,just in case that guy is sitting in front of you. sit somewhere different each day,and then you will know where to sit on monday. hope you get to see all the other cool stuff around indy

Although it's been a long time, I've done TEC, and reserved on either side of the track. I preferred the main grandstands over TEC for viewing. I too like around 330' on elimination days, but if you're planning on being there the whole week (I've done Thursday through Monday before - it's a marathon!) you might want to mix it up and sit on both sides of the track at various times. There's really no bad seats at Indy.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back