Neff: debut at Indy?? (1 Viewer)

Mike

Nitro Member
What are the chances Mr. Neff will debut at Indy for JFR?

My line of reasoning is:

1) no longer any contractual oblication to Schumacher
2) Force headquarters just a couple miles away from ORP
3) There is usually a pro test session lasting 2-3 days during the time in the 2 weeks between the event before Indy and the US Natl's. This would seem to be an ideal time for licensing.
4) Equipment and staff- JFR has the people from the Medlin crew and the car/parts.
5) This would be a great opporunity to do a tribute to Eric Medlin at the sports biggest event.

I can see it now- it's getting dark on Friday night. Bob Frey asks the audience to look at the video screens for a tribute to Eric, then the JFR car and Medlin crew come out from under the tower to huge applause (ok, maybe a moment of silence, then applause for Neff).

Then, (my daydream so I can do what I want, lol), it's unseasonably cool, a perfect night for speed. Neff debuts with a 4.69, 330 mph. Not a dry eye in the house....

Anyway, is this a realistic scenario (aside from the daydream)?

IMHO it was be a silly thing to do... He has no driving experience (except for the occasional 5 MPH over on the highway), and the last thing you want to do is throw him in the biggest race of the year and say "good luck!"... I don't think he will race this year unless they can get him testing in between races...

CJ Curtsinger

Interesting scenario . . . BUT!

1. JFR has to get through two races in the next two weeks, keeping John in the top eight and somehow having Ashley gain seven rounds on her competition.
2. They would have to fit a car for Mike, teach him how to drive a Funny Car and get his license. All in the 25 days before Indy starts.

Probably more than even JFR can deal with in this time frame. Don't get me wrong, I would love to see anyone acheive a dream. The first time Zippy pulls that JFR car to the line to qualify at a national event, my check will be off to DRAW - Jim

Also, if I am not mistaken didn't Force say he didn't want to pull anyone away from an active team?

CJ Curtsinger

I do not see this happening. I can assure you that JFR and particullary John Medlen are in no "rush" and will do things correctly. Maybe (big maybe if the new designed chassis is ready ) as a test car effort later this year but not by Indy.

I agree with everyone else Michael, it isn't going to happen. Don't get me wrong, your "daydream" as you refer to it, would be the stuff of, well, dreams, but it just isn't realistic to think they're going to rush this deal. If Zippy had previous experience in anything... maybe. But given the circumstances at JFR this year, John Force, John Medlen & the rest of the team will take their time to make sure Mike's ready before he competes at a National Event.

I'll go out on a limb and say that John is far smarter then he let's on. I still believe his primary motivation to put Zippy in the seat was to remove one of his toughest competitors (who's already stolen a championship away from JFR) from competition. That's a done deal so he's accomplished his greatest goal. Now he has the rest of the season to gear up for his forth team entering competition the right way. Besides, he saves an average of $5K per pass until they enter a race?

I saw give Zippy a shot if they can get everything ready without it being a rush / panic thing. I always hate getting ready for a race like that. Go out for the test session and see how it goes.

BTW, this is a bit off topic but I did have an idea; I'm not sure if this has been discussed already. How about renaming the "Automobile Club of Southern California Road to the Future" award the "Eric Medlen Memorial Road to the Future Award presented by the Automobile Club of Southern California". Yeah I know it's a bit long but I thought very fitting. Thoughts anyone?

Dave

Dave, I like the Eric Medlin Memorial......:)

IMHO...........Neff starts the process during Indy testing.(Having heard about "the bet" and wanting DRAW to benefit sooner rather than later):D

isnt there a rule going into effect next year that only allows 3 cars per class unless the 4th was run the previous year(this year)???...this would mean that the 4th jfr fc WILL be in competition sometime this year...

isnt there a rule going into effect next year that only allows 3 cars per class unless the 4th was run the previous year(this year)???...this would mean that the 4th jfr fc WILL be in competition sometime this year...

I don't think that is the case - it would amount to a "Grandfather" rule.
Of course John and Shoe are both Grandfathers, so who knows? Sorry, just couldn't resist -:D
Anyway, it would speed up the process of contributing to DRAW. If the Players in the "Bet" would like, I'll send the money to DRAW and collect from the four of you if something goes wrong (I know where to find you!) - :eek:

Neff will get in a fuel car and rip....IMO he will not need 18 months of training to be competitive....He knows the mechanics of the car which I think is the biggest deal steering a fuel coupe.....
I heard they approached someone else and JFR was turned down by this driver who is currently in the top ten...

He knows the mechanics of the car which I think is the biggest deal steering a fuel coupe.....

Dude, you have sniffed too much California smog. You better go back inside and shelter in place. :rolleyes:

Starting to contradict yourself, Terry? According to some of your earlier statements a while back, people like Neff shouldn't even be driving in this class.. (Rookies not allowed) Make up yout f#$%ing mind will ya!!!

I think with Force as a teacher, Zippy will do OK.

Last edited:
Zippy will absolutely not debut in Indy, maybe later in the season, depending on John and the points, If he doesn't make the final four, which he hates anyway, then maybe Neff runs the last two of the season. I know for a fact that my boss hasn't said anything about getting a chassis ready for Zippy as of yet, so who knows??? Building a chassis for Neff would require driver fitting then building would begin and that doesn't happen overnight, which is what every other team thinks...

Neff will get in a fuel car and rip....IMO he will not need 18 months of training to be competitive....He knows the mechanics of the car which I think is the biggest deal steering a fuel coupe.....
I heard they approached someone else and JFR was turned down by this driver who is currently in the top ten...
But Ashley F. is a danger to everyone out there because of her inexperience.

Did you get along with your Mom, Terry?

David and others.....IMO I feel you should know something about the car you are driving and pay your dues w/ sweat equity.....
JFR will not need to spend 16-18 months of training for him to debut...or have him in an A-fuel car for two seasons...
Ashley had been steering a S/C car, an A-Fuel dragster for how many seasons...then a year and half making 'fun' laps for her debut...
Neff, like Medlen and Hight know every inch of the car so they understand it...When those two (Medlen/Hight) made their debuts' they were not slapping the walls and/or going over centerline in their first year...and those two never drove anything else in NHRA competition....I never said a rookie should not compete but I think after you receive your license you are just like everyone else in your class...And not too many 'rookies' get to make 200 passes in practice and then be declared a 'rookie' @ the Winternats..
BTW...I am very happy to see Ashley Force running well as the pressure is tough...
Neff is a hard worker who will not need anyone to 'teach' him to drive a fuel coupe...it's in his heart...
Look @ Wilkerson jr....he knew the mechanics of the car and it comes natural to him w/out all the hype and drama...

I never said a rookie should not compete but I think after you receive your license you are just like everyone else in your class.....

Well read what you said on another thread.

Some of you keep posting that Ashley is a 'ROOKIE'....wrong...she has had more laps in a fuel car than any rookie I heard of....And when we did the fans start 'allowing' rookie mistakes in a fuel car...I have never heard of more fans supporting a 'rookie' than before this deal...This class has no room for 'rookies'...you need to be in control @ all times...That wreck was a carnival ride that looked like my ten year old was steering while I controlled the throttle remotely...She whacked the throttle way too many times....I am sure she will not wreck 'another' car in the same fashion but I am sure her skills will come up w/ something unique again this season....
I have never heard of a first year driver having this much sketchy/negative attention....
Glad she was not hurt...For the fans that sat during that clean up.....THANKS

Why do you have to Guess at this.. Remember History repeats it self..........................................

Aka Whit.... says done next year.. ok Mr got sucker punched by loser Crapps.. You can go Home and watch TV for the rest of the year...

If you think for ONE Second the THE Don, is going to let go of HIS Championship winning crew Chief. Your all nuts and need a shrink. You do not EVER allow your self to get beat by Yourself.. lol Duh ya like hey man why don't you ZIPP on over to the Compeitition, over there before the end of the year. Just take all our info and you go give it to them and beat us.. I DARE YOU.. LMAO

oh second Option no young man.. I am sure you mean well to get a pay raise with a 401k and throw in medical and Dentist bills.. But since you are a bad boy and make this all public, so it hurts me getting more $$$ from Mopar and who ever else will put money into the Team.. I think it would a good time for Vacation.. Ask Whit what his Vacation was like. Enjoy life your check is in the mail Unless you break our deal. and show up at any NHRA event, and have any such antic with another team..

Have a wonderful day.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back