MAPLE GROVE INFO..... (1 Viewer)

Never been to this track, is it nice?? how about the area?? Thinkin about puttin together a quick trip
for Friday qualifying. Need one more Nitro shot before winter. Any advice...??

I'm thinkin' about goin' to Maple grove (my first race in 8 years). One of my favorite tracks, fast, great view, and only an hour and a half drive. love seeing the amish people hanging around also ! The down side is, it almost always rains at some point, so have a back up plan ready

I have only been to Maple Grove once (2012). Dress Warm. Be prepared to lose at least 1 session to rain, maybe even a whole day. 2 lane road in and out, be prepared for traffic. I stayed in a hotel in downtown Reading (old and dumpy town) and it was at least 30 minutes each way with no traffic. The facility is nothing special, they had people hustling for tips at the porta potties, I have never seen that before or since. Not a very compact pit area, the pros are packed in nicely and it's easy to see most of them, but if you are going to the sportsman pits it is a long walk and will likely be in grass and mud. They have Yuengling on draft! The area surrounding the track is gorgeous, and the fall leaves should be in full change. Go early, stay late, bring a good jacket and you should be fine.

With all of that said, the only real reason to go to Maple Grove is because the track is FLAT OUT FAST. When I was there in 2012, Top Fuel was throwing out low 3.70s like they were nothing, Funny Car was in the 3.90s and Pro Stock in the high 6.40s ... all of them with BIG MPH (over 330 in top fuel!) It was A LOT of fun as a spectator to sit there and watch the performance show they put on. Cruz Pedregon ran like a 4.02 or .03 and in his top end interview said he was disappointed in that run, that they left a lot on the table LOL. I would absolutely go back even though Reading is dumpy and the track is no where near as nice as Vegas or Norwalk.

Before I moved closer to this track, I would drive out Sunday and go home same day. But in 1990, the rains and oildowns (and lightning) forced them to run the finals at 10pm. I stayed and saw Force, Ormsby and Alderman win (yes!) so it was worth the long tired ride home to NJ.
Skip to 35:29 for the finals-

The next year I started staying at a nice motel on Rt 30 in Paradise, PA and drove up Rt10 to the track. All of the closer hotels were booked or traffic was bad. I was able to get a real early start on the road and beat most of the traffic. I think the exit on the PA Turnpike was Morganville.

It's my favorite track now....

I really dig the feel of Maple Grove. It's carved out of the woods and as mentioned, it's neat seeing Amish buggies on the road as you're heading to the track to watch 300mph fire breathers. Wild contrast.

Never been to this track, is it nice?? how about the area?? Thinkin about puttin together a quick trip
for Friday qualifying. Need one more Nitro shot before winter. Any advice...??
It is really nice there if it does not rain and you take your own food. If it rains everyone on the staff takes off and you are on your own to get out of the mud. The food is the worst on the circuit.

I go each year and this year is no different. Other than this is one of the tracks I grew up going to and I like to go back home to visit with family, you are always guaranteed to see record performances. In October the angle of the sun is so low in the sky that it doesn't allow the track temp to get too out of hand. Last year on Friday they had record high temps and Force set the FC speed record. Like Chris said, the facility leaves a lot to be desired, but the racing is fantastic. As far as traffic, you need to know the side streets out of the track and you will be in no traffic. My flight leaves 2 weeks from today. :D

It's nothing fancy but the cars put up the numbers and the fans come out in droves. I've been working as an usher for about 8-9 years so be sure to stop by and say HI (Sec. L/M). You can get out rather quickly if you know the back roads out of there. Head towards Rt 10 :) you can always circle back towards Reading. Avoid the city of Reading at all costs. You would be better off staying at the Comfort Inn in Pottstown. It's usually cool in the mornings and then warms up during the day only to cool back down in the early evenings.

another thing....ignore all those locals holding signs saying "only parking left $___"- mostly charging $20 to $30 to park on their lawns. There is always plenty of parking on the hill on the pit side and it's easier to get out over there. It still costs to park there (I think $10), but those locals are too far from the track and walking with all your stuff 2 miles to the race is not fun

Great info gang, thanks. Will be sure to say hi Cheryl. Hope to keep the streak goin.
One more question, how close are we to the 9/11 memorial where the plane went down??
Is it north, south, or west of Redding???
The memorialis south west about 3hrs by way of the pa. pike

Here's the map

flight93.JPG

I've been to every national event held at Maple Grove since the first one in 1985. Plans are to keep the streak going. This year is special as I'm going for the first time as a reporter for my Finish Line column in The Journal-News of Martinsburg, WV. Got my media credentials, get to park in the media lot, and have access to media center all 4 days, although I'm only probably going for two.

If you like Sprint Car racing, the World of Outlaws will be running the Williams Grove National Open the same weekend. It's just about an hour away. I'll be doing double duty!

Great info gang thanks. That 76 out of Maple Grove that crosses PA, is it a Toll Road???
Also, to set the Garmin, I've got the memorial at 6424 Lincoln Hwy. but is the town Somerset Pa.??

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back