Some awesome feats at Maple Grove (1 Viewer)

The whole weekend was awesome!!! :D

Fantastic weather, fantastic racing and fantastic crowds!

Since it was so great, I've decided to go to Vegas...well, I already had a vacation planned to LV but wasn't sure if I was going to the track...plans changed and I bought my tickets today!! :D

Kim Was Home all weekend with the kids... some kinda moto cross thing, I believe... and yes, she was texting people from home.

Well, that explains it then. And for what it's worth, she's not to blame for a thing. If I looked like that, and I knew the cameras were on me all the time, I'd priss around like she does. It's pretty understandable.

I believe it was the Charlotte event where the ESPN2 camera guy absolutely could NOT keep his lens off Kim. Over and over and over, there she was. Let's have a racers' wives special sometime. Just not during eliminations.

How'd you know where Kim was, anyway? :eek:

Well, that explains it then. And for what it's worth, she's not to blame for a thing. If I looked like that, and I knew the cameras were on me all the time, I'd priss around like she does. It's pretty understandable.

I believe it was the Charlotte event where the ESPN2 camera guy absolutely could NOT keep his lens off Kim. Over and over and over, there she was. Let's have a racers' wives special sometime. Just not during eliminations.

How'd you know where Kim was, anyway? :eek:

Try NHRA Interactive while Kim was posting from home over the weekend:rolleyes::eek::D

I gotta say-that was one of the best races overall in recent memory.
2 lane track
almost every run was worth a photo finish look.
#1 + #2 quailifers in T/F in the final.
#1 + #2 in points in T/F in the final.
#1+#2 in points in PS/B in the final.
More non-dives than dives.
Pedal fest final. (I watched it a few times -Cory had at least 5 hits on the throttle! )
.001 holeshot win in P/S
.002? holeshot win in PS/B
And I hate to say-but with all members or JFR going out early, the coverage took on a new light.
Dave Connolly? Winning in his 2nd race back in P/S with a new car ! Wow.
I think we saw one they will be talking if a future episode of "NHRAs greatest races".

How 'bout TAFC pilot Paul Gill, who whipped a double-oh 3 light on Frank Manzo in round 2 and outran him to boot? Don't see that happening very often.....

Before that race, the last time Manzo lost at Reading was in 1999, when he lost to ..... Paul Gill!

As for awesome feats, how about Ed Fernandez taking his T/SA Gremlin to the semis in Stock Eliminator?

Jim

I've got one ... how about Cruz Pedregon? Has won 2 of the 4 countdown races and has earned 356 points since the countdown started. He has qualified 4th, 1st, 6th, and 6th respectively at the 4 countdown races. If they had that performance during just the last 2 "regular season" races (Denver / Brainerd) he would likely have made the countdown and might even be challenging for another championship. He was only 121 points behind his brother going into Denver. But, as they say ... too little too late. Right?

Unbelievable performance nonetheless.

Thats a pretty awesome feat for that team Jim. How many other teams have you seen in the past 10 or so years actually take a season to learn a tuneup. I mean they have progressively gotten better at every race this year.

VERY happy for Paul Gill and Doug Palmer and the boys. I got to hang out with that team a lot when they did the Vegas National - Vegas Divisional - Pomona Finals triple last year. They are all good guys that love alcohol funny car racing ... especially D1 alcohol funny car racing.

Lastly, I think we have quite a collection of nit pickers on this board (at times, probably myself included). I think for every person that complains Kim Anderson celebrates too much, we would have at least one person who would complain if she didn't celebrate. For all the talk of entertainment and putting on a show, at it's core, this is a sporting endeavor. These teams put in a lot of time and energy into the "show", and whether you win a lot like Greg Anderson does, or only once (so far) like Bob Bode ... it is an acheivement worthy of celebration when you are the last one standing with the trophy. Besides, who doesn't like to see pretty women with pretty smiles on their faces at the end of the day? I say party on Kim ...

thank goodness this board wasn't around during bob glidden glory days.
rusty glidden would have garnered a few opinions i'm sure.

There was a board on AOL called the Drag Racers Forum in the glory days and yes...the brothers Glidden were often a topic of discussion. But, if I remember correctly, it was rather positive back then....constructive and well thought out responses and opinions.

ah.... the glory days...

Now this is GOOD. We need a thread like this after every event!!

Here's my submission - how about the Australian-born, former Montana Express Top Fuel Dragster driver, who is now employed by a Michigan-based company - who ran his season-best ET, AND even moved up in the top 10 points standings, still racing his ASS off and going rounds, here at the end of the season, when all eyes are focused on the illustrious "countdown"? I'm talking about David Grubnic!! And don't forget that 6 months ago, he wasn't even sure he'd be driving at this juncture of the season. A tip of the hat to the Kalitta Air crew! :D
Not to mention, there's no diving in that camp.............;)

Wait....a Toyota body for Bode? Is this a new body or from another team? Either way that is very cool.

Stan,

Eugene mentioned it a few months ago on here, from memory it was from the Kalitta's.

Regards,

Mike.

PS: Cool blog.

Last edited:
Stan,

Eugene mentioned it a few months ago on here, from memory it was from the Kalitta's.

Regards,

Mike.

PS: Cool blog.
Sorry it took so long to respond, but I have been at the hot rod reunion. The toyota body is the one that Jeff Arend was using at the four wide race when Robert Hight bumped in to him. Bob bought the shell and the wing. He had to repair the shell then tin it and mount it and get all the graphics done before I pick the race hauler up later this week. Alice called me yesterday and said she didn't think it was going to be ready so we might just start running it at the winternationals.

don't care what anyone says - the toyota bodies are cool.
they've changed a lot since the original 'white cap' toyota.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back