• Yes its Exciting, and lets keep it.

Votes: 32 16.8%
  • Its being FORCED FED down our throat by NHRA

Votes: 70 36.8%
  • Give it back to NASCAR

Votes: 88 46.3%

• Total voters
Now THAT is funny....

I think the first one is ok, the second one is pretty stupid.

I'll keep it at that.

My thoughts exactly. One cut to get rid of runaways(sorry guys, they cause a loss of interest) then..........the playoffs where everything is magnified.

I voted that I like it. But I don't think the execution is correct. It definitely needs tweaking and only 1 cut makes sense to me. I think there are now too many races in a year for the old year long points to provide the drama they want (need?). Arguably, they might have been able to get the drama by just tweaking the points somehow.

I like the concept of playoffs and even making the Finals the championship event, but what they are doing now is not the answer.

........Arguably, they might have been able to get the drama by just tweaking the points somehow.........

didn't the nationals used to pay more points? as in double points?
why not showcase a few nat. events that perhaps would be more
money and more points; as in "before the cut", for instance, now
with gainesville getting a facelift, why not give the race itself a
facelift? make it the first "big" race of the year.
make your showcase tracks showcase races.
........payouts for 17-23 non-qualifiers
........larger than average nat. event payouts
........bonus points (not sure how to formulate)
........bikini girl to back up every nitro car from burnout
hey, it's a special race:rolleyes:

It couldnt SUCK worse! I havent met anyone who likes it.

I've said it before, in years past, especially in this decade, the Championships have all gone to the few teams with the most $$$, period. Gone are the days when a guy like Eddie Hill could come on the tour with a limited budget and win a title. The sport has swayed to Team Force, Team Shumacher, and Ken Black, etc., those that can throw the biggest checkbook at it. The Countdown has at least brought some of the excitement of competition back into it, instead of who can outspend their competitors.

Lance, it also takes considerable mechanical knowledge to make the "biggest checkbook" effective. One doesn't work without the other. I don't begrudge the high-dollar teams at all. Whoever's the best-running and most consistent operation, over an entire season, regardless of amount of backing, deserves the championship, IMO.

lets take Tpeds as an example-- IF he goes on to win the "championship" how can he feel the elation and satisfaction that comes with EARNING something that in the past was oh so hard to do???? Will he feel that he honestly won?? NO I DON'T THINK HE WILL. This countdown is the height of hypocrisy. In essence your telling a driver-- work hard ,be the best you can amass as many points as you can---THEN we're gonna penalize you for doing that. In the end even if your performance was the best we might reward somebody else. If you asked the people who came up with this idea if they raise their children in this manner they would all say NO!!!!

If you had 40 cars in each class it wouldn't be bad to narrow it down to 16 for the championship but going to 8 or 4 is crazy. Instead of being the 2007 NHRA champion it's now the September-November of 2007 champion.

I'm going to hold my opinion until the season's over. I can't say I care for the new points system as it stands. However, if it generates more fan interest in terms of more paid admissions to the races and higher TV ratings, I'll suck it up and accept it. Hopefully that will translate into some more sponsors and more money for the race teams. If it attendance and ratings are flat, I'd just as soon pull the plug on this deal. Wonder when the ratings and attendance figures from the 'chase' races will be made public?

Last edited:
I'm going to hold my opinion until the season's over. I can't say I care for the new points system as it stands. However, if it generates more fan interest in terms of more paid admissions to the races and higher TV ratings, I'll suck it and accept it. Hopefully that will translate into some more sponsors and more money for the race teams. If it attendance and ratings are flat, I'd just as soon pull the plug on this deal. Wonder when the ratings and attendance figures from the 'chase' races will be made public?

I hear you Charles, but just how is a convoluted, manufactured, confusing "new" points chase going to appeal to the general public that never understood drag racing without such a system? And, don't forget from where the attendance & ratings will be coming. The same people who pushed the 'Countdown' on the racers. Do you think they will say it failed?

I don't See any more Coverage... nothing on TV sports during the news...

Looking at the crowd at Richmond... maybe it's because we're too close to NASCAR country... but... I have never seen more Drunk, Obnousiuos, unkempt, Inbreed, discourious... If you're looking for NASCAR's Market... You found them... Now, Give them back and RUN, SCREAMING, from this abortive IDEA

SORRY, just FED-UP with A$$Holes... But, then again, maybe VMP shouldn't have 13 year olds checking tickets for the reserved section... 4 fricking reserved stands... everything else is general... All stands on the right hand side general, everything from the 330 blocks on down the left side general...

and get this, I was asked for my autograph 3 times today... I $*it you not...

Be carefull what you hope for, You just might get it... Reminded me of one of Doner's Fox Hunts, at OCIR ...

Been a long day... Getting up in 7 Hours... going to thr RFC at Powers in the Morning...

I voted that I like it. But I don't think the execution is correct. It definitely needs tweaking and only 1 cut makes sense to me. I think there are now too many races in a year for the old year long points to provide the drama they want (need?). Arguably, they might have been able to get the drama by just tweaking the points somehow.

I like the concept of playoffs and even making the Finals the championship event, but what they are doing now is not the answer.

Hey Scott, maybe instead of one cut they could have 16. Drop one car each event for the last 16 events and the one left standing in Pomona is the champ. :D

Boy, now that would keep everyone on the edge of their seats for 16 weeks. ;)

I don't See any more Coverage... nothing on TV sports during the news...

Looking at the crowd at Richmond... maybe it's because we're too close to NASCAR country... but... I have never seen more Drunk, Obnousiuos, unkempt, Inbreed, discourious... If you're looking for NASCAR's Market... You found them... Now, Give them back and RUN, SCREAMING, from this abortive IDEA

SORRY, just FED-UP with A$$Holes... But, then again, maybe VMP shouldn't have 13 year olds checking tickets for the reserved section... 4 fricking reserved stands... everything else is general... All stands on the right hand side general, everything from the 330 blocks on down the left side general...

and get this, I was asked for my autograph 3 times today... I $*it you not...

Be carefull what you hope for, You just might get it... Reminded me of one of Doner's Fox Hunts, at OCIR ...

Been a long day... Getting up in 7 Hours... going to the RFC at Powers in the Morning...
Did you answer the countdown question, anywhere in here??

Glad to see you had a great day Karl, sounded fun- :eek:

Be sure and take this post with ya to the meetin in the morning- :D

They may take questions first- :eek:

3, Really?? :)

LMAO- poor Karl

I hear you Charles, but just how is a convoluted, manufactured, confusing "new" points chase going to appeal to the general public that never understood drag racing without such a system? And, don't forget from where the attendance & ratings will be coming. The same people who pushed the 'Countdown' on the racers. Do you think they will say it failed?

Spot on, Jackee.

It seems that NHRA has the last and only word. The Championship once went to the Driver and team that won the most races. Now you can run a bit back in the pack , and with a bit of luck, steal the Big Walley. Sort of takes away from the past Champions glory. But if your a fan of someone who is in 8th place toward the end of the year, you still have a shot. The final prize will just have a bit less meaning.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back