Another Top Fuel Team is Parked (1 Viewer)

So . . . with less than 60 days before the start of the season, you're suggesting a rules change? Do we have a different ladder depending on how many cars show up? Fans would be really happy to see a bye into the final. Of course, it is probably covered in the Policy Manual - :rolleyes:

It wouldn't be a rule change. The ladders have always been set up to adjust for short fields.

So . . . with less than 60 days before the start of the season, you're suggesting a rules change? Do we have a different ladder depending on how many cars show up? Fans would be really happy to see a bye into the final. Of course, it is probably covered in the Policy Manual - :rolleyes:

No Jim, not suggesting a rule change. Just trying to show JC Mayes how a 9 car field could work, with 7 pair (2 car runs) and only 3 bye's to get a winner.

I just don't see nhra having 8 first rd bye's :confused:

Its not hard to understand , its just elliminator racing . It would just effect how many rounds of ellimination happen before you elliminate all the competition to have 2 cars meet for the final . More competitors you have then more elimination rounds , less competitors then less rounds . For example a 16 car field , you have 8 first round eliminators , then after that you will have 4 , then after that you have the 2 semi final rounds leading to the final race . Is that hard to understand?

AA/FC is dead. T/F is dead. Over the last 40+ years people have said one or the other or both over the course of those years. Panic never set in...opportunities did. Believe it or not the classes have survived wars, economies and nitro bans and will continue to.

Used to be a couple of guys with decent jobs could put a car together and be competitive. Many didn't do much travelling and only raced withing a few hundred or a thousand miles from home. Big money has changed all that, but now times are changing. Pulling back from the days of ungodly excess may actually be good for the sport.

Here's a post I put in another thread:

Teams parking it creating short fields will open up opportunities for new teams to compete. NHRA should stay with 16 car fields or the infux of new racers will dry up in my opinion. Some in the TAD and TA/FC ranks will view this as an opportunity to go pro, rather than looking at it as a playground for the rich. NHRA needs some new blood anyway. Heck, we even talked about unloading our stuff and trying FC on a limited basis if the fields remain short.

There are several IHRA FC racers looking for a new home and NHRA will provide the welcome mat.

The dedicated hard core racers will race even if on a limited basis like Bill Miller, Steve Chrisman and Mike Strausburg. They won't have the mega budget, but in time they may find help when the economy turns around and companies want to get back in. They won't be looking at who's been on the couch for the last few years in considering teams to sponsor. They will weigh in on who's out there.

RG

Randy your post certainly has Merit, when fields thin the Independents who rarely show up to run do come out. The only reason I think it might be different this go round is the new Chassis rules! Many of these low buck Fuel cars have 4-5 year old cars that are illegal in today's rules, and spending $30,000 (a guess...) to update a chassis might not be worth running 3-4 NHRA races IMO! Be interesting to see how this plays out!

Randy & Wes you made some good posts. There is a purging of sorts going on in drag racing right now just like every other business. The world isn't ending. Adversity certainly presents opportunity, and has been stated, this may be the time for NHRA to re-invent the fuel classes for the future. Re-think the schedule, re-think the tune-ups and create fuel classes that don't need 3M a year to run (since the 3mil isn't really there for too many anymore). Above all, DO NOT cut the fields, if it's all run for awhile, so what? Let's have a reason for new people to take a shot at qualifying for the fuel shows.

Money is not flowing anymore, hell HONDA just dumped its $500 Million dollar a year F1 budget. They stated that it was not getting a ROI that they could live with. I believe Randy is right. When others see failure some will always see opportunity. The feilds may not seam as grand as in the past but the small teams make up for lack of money with sweat and heart. Remember 38 drivers took a past last year in Top Fuel. I look forward to the future of our sport with hope and a smile because a racers spirit will always over come a problem. Isn't that what racing is all about. Problem solving. So, It will be sad to see some leave and they will, it will be good to see some new faces stepping up. SO, buy a ticket or two and support our sport and we will get past this. Happy Holidays to all.... and to a better 2009.

With all this lousy news the more I think about it Larry Dixon made an excellent career move.
Alan’s Al-Anabi team is funded for the next 5 years that makes Larry's move a no-brainer in my book!
Maybe these teams should look to the Middle East for sponsorship's nothings better than an eccentric Sheik! ;):p

With all this lousy news the more I think about it Larry Dixon made an excellent career move.
Alan’s Al-Anabi team is funded for the next 5 years that makes Larry's move a no-brainer in my book!
Maybe these teams should look to the Middle East for sponsorship's nothings better than an eccentric Sheik! ;):p

Speaks volumes about the problems with fuel racing when you have to have a wealthy Middle Eastern sheik for a sponsor to be able to afford to race.:(

Any reason to think that that funding really will last for 5 years?? :rolleyes:

Oil sheik?

Contract?

Handshake?

'Cause the Agent said so?? ;)

Any reason to think that that funding really will last for 5 years?? :rolleyes:

Oil sheik?

Contract?

Handshake?

'Cause the Agent said so?? ;)
maybe the check has already cleared? ;-)

maybe the conversation went something like this:
AJ- My Sheik...
SheikUrBooty- My partner...
AJ- I am going to need a little operating capital...
SYB- how much?
AJ- (in his best charles nelson Reilly voice) $25 million...
SYB- $25 MILLION...a drop in the well! I will give you $50 MILLION that way you have some petty cash:)

of course, i would also go with the .'cause the agent said so' defense:)

So did they actually have a contract with CAT, because I read that they had a year left. How can you claim no money to sponsor but you are starting a new one in nascar. Is it because the fuel car was sponsored by dealers not CAT corporate. Anyway you sum it up it sucks how they cars are dropping out like crazy.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back