Another Top Fuel Team is Parked (1 Viewer)

You of all people understand that a bye is part of out sport. We run two at a time. So from time to time, an "odd" number of cars, will force a bye. No big thing.

Do you realize that if only 8 cars show up to run and qualify, that there would be 8 bye runs the first round? #1 qualifier runs #16, bye. #2 qualifier runs #15, bye. etc, etc.

Now that would be an exciting first round. Not!

Do you realize that if only 8 cars show up to run and qualify, that there would be 8 bye runs the first round? #1 qualifier runs #16, bye. #2 qualifier runs #15, bye. etc, etc.

Now that would be an exciting first round. Not!

I for a minute don't think there will only be just 8 cars showing up. I see your point J.C. . However look back to 83/84 there were some lean times with some spoilers showing up making a mark.

And do you realize there are people right this very moment licking thier chops and burning the midnight oil digging out inventory and looking at opportunity? I am willing to bet you a big lunch that one person is wreaking havoc in his shop and ripping the couch apart for spare change right now salivating at the qualifying money.

Short fields of 10-12 cars makes for the one shot wonders the possibility of being in the big show on Sunday. Making a name or mark to leverage forward on. Won't always be pretty races or runs but new/old blood comes into the sport again. And it (racing) survives.

Yes the economy is bad. Yes sponsors are leaving. But I can tell you people are talking right now about trying to do 4-6-8-12-16 whatever they can race deals. Some are looking regionally again with some non-household names you may or may not remember.

Maybe the gate keepers will finally look at overhead costs and slow em down a little. Work with PRO (hey I can dream) to figure out how to go back to 32 car fields someday. Forward vision.

Plain and simple this is a drug with serious addictive complications. Very few just walk away forever never to sniff the fumes again and those who can't are starting to jones back up again. They see opportunity.

Yer SO right Jim. So many here complain about the "SAME" winners week end and week out. What do they expect with the "SAME" cars week in and week out??

Now we have the possibility of "new" faces and cars able to qualify, then have a chance to up-set the "BIG DOGS", and some sitll complain...

Don't get me wrong, I hate to see sponsors leave and teams park as much as anyone. I'm just saying that this could be the brake that some have waited for. No one says you have to run for the title. Just to WIN a natl. event is enough for some.

And do you realize there are people right this very moment licking thier chops and burning the midnight oil digging out inventory and looking at opportunity? I am willing to bet you a big lunch that one person is wreaking havoc in his shop and ripping the couch apart for spare change right now salivating at the qualifying money.

Yep, and they might be able to come by parts for less money because of the teams that have to liquidate some of their assets.

I don't think people can appreciate a bye run until it's either been given to them, or until they've had to race 3 or 8 tough races with out one ;)

Jenn - you're correct. People who have never raced do not appreciate a bye run. And Paul, you're right, an occasional bye run is part of racing.
However . . . the people in the stands, many of whom can only afford to make it to only one race a year, are not paying to watch bye runs in T/F.
There are only a few independent teams out there who have the equipment and knowledge to even try to compete and the payout schedule just doesn't allow them to pull coast to coast to compete at more than an occasional race.
There will be a huge amount of very nice current equipment available at fire sale prices and lots of experienced crew people (and drivers) who are out of work. That being said, I just can't see why a TAD team would spend hundreds of thousands to endure a huge learning curve with very little hope of winning a race. We'll have to wait to see what happens to attendance if there are 2, 3, 4 or more bye runs in TF round one. JMHO

Jenn - you're correct. People who have never raced do not appreciate a bye run. And Paul, you're right, an occasional bye run is part of racing.
However . . . the people in the stands, many of whom can only afford to make it to only one race a year, are not paying to watch bye runs in T/F.

The way the ladders are structured now is that the higher qualifiers EARN that bye run if it's available, by either low E.T. or closest to index.

Only the first round in the sportsman ladder is the bye left to 'chance' where the lane master pulls aside a car in the event of an odd number. So if you started the field with 89 cars, they pull you for the bye, and another car does not make the call to first round, you are put back in the field against the last person to run. Likewise, if there are 88 cars, and you get pulled for a bye even theoretically you should have a pair, if a car breaks in the pits and can't make it to the line...you've get the bye.

NHRA could go back to a sportsman style ladder similar to what you see in complicated eliminator.

Here's one to ponder.... What will happen to the Countdown if there really are only 9 active cars in any of the Pro catagories? :rolleyes: :D

We run on a two car at a time system. So if there is a "ODD number of cars, there would only be 1 bye per round. there would never be 2-3-4 bye's in one round.

A bye is just part of our sport gang. Just like a QB taking a knee, to buy time to talk to coach. Or a pitcher throwing 4 way outside to walk a batter.
Fans don't like to see that either, but it's part of the strategy of the game.

no big thing...imo

No-No, Mayes, if 9 show we would have 1 bye, first round only.

One more time... On a pro ladder, 1 runs 16, 2 runs 15, on down. If 9 cars qualify, first round would consist of #1 through #7 getting byes and #8 and #9 would run against each other.

Now I give up. The pro ladder is what it is.

One more time... On a pro ladder, 1 runs 16, 2 runs 15, on down. If 9 cars qualify, first round would consist of #1 through #7 getting byes and #8 and #9 would run against each other.

They can reconfigure a ladder, make it a sportsman ladder.

Don't get stuck on one idea here.

If 9 cars showed up there would be 1 bye in rd1.
That leaves an even 8 to run each other, producing 5 winners to go to rd2.

Again 1 bye, in rd 2 the other 4 run each other, producing 3 winners.

Rd3 - 1 bye, the two run each other, producing 2 winners.

The final rd - no bye's, the two left run each other.

Maybe I'm not explaining this clear....help me gang.

If only 8 cars showed, then I'm sure they would run an 8 car ladder. Not 8 byes. I don't think glendora is THAT dumb.

So . . . with less than 60 days before the start of the season, you're suggesting a rules change? Do we have a different ladder depending on how many cars show up? Fans would be really happy to see a bye into the final. Of course, it is probably covered in the Policy Manual - :rolleyes:

So . . . with less than 60 days before the start of the season, you're suggesting a rules change? Do we have a different ladder depending on how many cars show up? Fans would be really happy to see a bye into the final. Of course, it is probably covered in the Policy Manual - :rolleyes:

There's new rules issued all the time, some just take effect quicker than others.

I still say sportsman ladder might be the best bet for this season.

Maybe this will clear it up for you:

Professional / Pro Sportsman Pairings (9) First round ladder
Top Half
Bye

Bye
Bye

Bottom Half

Bye
Bye

Bye
Bye
Note: In 9 Car Ladder-To award progressive Bye runs, No. 1 and No.2 spots meet in semi final.
The winner of the 2-9 race would get a bye in the second round.
The second round winner in the bottom half would have a bye in the third round.

You can go to nhra.com and generate any ladder combination.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back