Another Top Fuel Team is Parked (1 Viewer)

Rich - suing a major corporation sounds like a good idea until reality sets in. This would probably be contested in a Federal Court and Powers would be paying lawyers to go up against a litigation department that I'll bet is already in place at CAT. A case like this could be dragged through the courts for years, with legal costs quickly eating up anything you have no guarantee of winning.
Unfortunately, it's the other Golden Rule - "those who have the gold make the rules". JMHO

Actually Jim, you are correct I have never been an advocate of suing as nobody wins and it hurts when it comes to attracting a future sponsor. I'm just a little pissed. :mad:

Last edited:
Sounds like the perfect time to go back to basics. Single mags, smaller fuel pumps, smaller blowers, all of the things people have brought up to slow the cars down. These will all make Nitro racing cheaper, as well as getting it back to 1/4 mile.

Help me understand how that helps.... so, we throw away all the stuff we have to buy that other stuff... but I guess fuel pumps and blowers are cheap... a dime a dozen....

but I guess fuel pumps and blowers are cheap... a dime a dozen....

Lol yeah right lol Some blowers are more expensive then engine blocks . And Fuel Pumps arent much better unless you know how to assemble one yourself because they seem to be alot cheaper if braught in bits . If nobody believes me well PSI blowers and Waterman fuel systems have very clear prices on their websites .

Lol yeah right lol Some blowers are more expensive then engine blocks . And Fuel Pumps arent much better unless you know how to assemble one yourself because they seem to be alot cheaper if braught in bits . If nobody believes me well PSI blowers and Waterman fuel systems have very clear prices on their websites .

I think Jim was being a BIT sarcastic there William.... It's racing- nothings cheap.

Drag racing will survive but I believe there will be substantial changes down the line and sooner than later. I've been hearing all the economic doom and gloom for two years now and the screams are not getting any quieter. To those who believe it will get much worse before it gets better, you're are dead right! Economically speaking, we could be headed into a depression rather than a recession. The big three alone could get us there if something isn't done really quickly. If they fall, there will be shock-waves sent throughout the world's economy like nothing ever felt before. If they receive any bailout from the US Government without a complete restructuring, it will be like giving lottery winnings to drug addicts as they will still fail without completely revamping their business model and pay scales and the nation's economy will be right behind it due to their size and impact. It's going to be a very bumpy ride ahead indeed.

Now, for the good news:
This is the USA and the spirit lives on. Such hard times make better people and far more stable investors. Ask anyone who lived through the great depression. They seemed cheap, saving like crazy and using things completely up before considering replacement. They purchased absolutely nothing they couldn't pay cash for and their stability was unquestionable. Our society could use some of this thinking today more than ever given yesterday's, today's and tomorrow's headlines and lead stories. Good old fashioned common sense might prevail once again above today's total-credit society. There will always be those who rise above the norm due to their willingness to venture into unfamiliar territory of business ownership and all businesses must market their products. Desperate times call for desperate measures and unique marketing opportunities are spawned from these very situations. There is also an undying passion for performance and speed which will all but insure drag racing will live on. It may just be a little bit different than the direction we've headed for the past three decades of prosperity.
Just my $ .02

Jim. ya think that $30 million would have paid a few salaries? There are very very few NASCAR fans that are going to buy a front end loader, dozer or pan.
If they were selling a consumer product, maybe I could see the logic, but not heavy equipment.

I would be willing to bet that when it comes to big contractor types that use this kind of equipment, there is a huge number of them that are NASCAR fans. Probably WAY more than drag racing fans.

Ask anyone who lived through the great depression. They seemed cheap, saving like crazy and using things completely up before considering replacement. They purchased absolutely nothing they couldn't pay cash for and their stability was unquestionable.

My granpa lived thru the great depression and lost everything, and he never had a bank account again. He paid cash for everything, which meant once a month he would drive to the phone company, electric company etc to pay his bills. He wrung every last cent out of every last dollar. He lived on a farm so he always grew his own food, and grandma would can/preserve everything she could for the winter. He always hunted and fished and traded hogs for beef. Had a couple layin hens and a dairy cow as well as goats, so there was always eggs, milk and butter and cheese. It would absolutely KILL him to go to a grocery store to spend 1 cent. And to the day day he died, 50 years after the great depression, he thought anybody who had mortgages or bank accounts were absolute suckers asking for some "slick talker" to steal your money or property.

I have thought about that A LOT lately. The credit crunch and devaluation of the dollar would have had ZERO impact on his life or lifestyle, even if the system completely fails. Then there is me, 1 generation removed from absolute self sufficiency, I would be absolutely useless without my AmEx or debit card, grocery stores and restaurants.

BACK ON TOPIC: Drag racing will survive ... guys like Joe Hartley, Mike Strasburg, Mitch King and TJ Zizzo have to be chomping at the bit for '09 ... there are some good cheap parts floating around and if they show up for most races they are pretty much guaranteed a spot in the show with a puncher's chance to go rounds. I think we can get 15 or 16 at each show.

Last edited:
I think Jim was being a BIT sarcastic there William.... It's racing- nothings cheap.

You are correct Martin - I'm glad the sarcasm showed through a little. But I was also trying to imply that changing out a bunch of parts to 'save' money wouldn't.

For many teams that are already involved and have made the investment on current fuel pumps and blowers ( as the example stated) would only increase the cost.

What if CAT let DP out of his contract?

maybe DP's Cat deal wasn't enough to run an entire season and DP was tired of spending his own money..:confused:

I probably don't get nascar. My point is, what ROI are they possibly getting. JimBob is going out Monday and buying a track hoe? I work in construction, and I will never rent anything from Cat again. That's their ROI from me.

I agree but, the suits use NASCAR like golf or tennis. It is just an event to do sales meeting and outings. Believe me they could care less about racing or racers until they sell thier products. We all have a choice on were we spend our money, that is the greatest power.

I probably don't get nascar. My point is, what ROI are they possibly getting. JimBob is going out Monday and buying a track hoe? I work in construction, and I will never rent anything from Cat again. That's their ROI from me.

I think people fail to see this the correct way. Corporations have advertising budgets. It's someone's job to spend that budget and decide where every dollar is going to go. It's why you often see advertising where it doesn't make sense. Someone is getting rid of the ad money like they're paid to do.

That's not the way I heard it but it's a big possibility since the housing market has dried up and he was forced to get rid of the other team. Maybe he looked at what CAT was paying him vs what his actual costs were vs what his losses are in his housing business and decided to pull the plug himself.

Which COULD fit with their performance (or lack of it) until the last of the year. At that point, the WTF attitude takes over and "poof" the car is competitive again???? just sayin................:confused:

starting to think this may have been a mutual agreement between
DPM and CAT.......if the CAT dealer/job recruiting sponsor was only paying
a portion of the tab, and DPM was pumping in a portion......

what happens if an established nationwide homebuilder is used to building
with bank credit and suddenly that credit evaporates? put all cash towards
saving/keeping the business afloat.

IMO drag racing is the luxury item that got the axe.....at least for now.

starting to think this may have been a mutual agreement between
DPM and CAT.......if the CAT dealer/job recruiting sponsor was only paying
a portion of the tab, and DPM was pumping in a portion......

what happens if an established nationwide homebuilder is used to building
with bank credit and suddenly that credit evaporates? put all cash towards
saving/keeping the business afloat.

IMO drag racing is the luxury item that got the axe.....at least for now.

If this is the case, DPM should be man enough to say thats what happened and quit making CAT look bad. The way things went down this seems like the most likely scenario. We all know times are tough and if DP needed to get out because he was spending too much money then I understand, he just needs to say so.

A tad OT, but since we're on home builders... did you see that the head of HR for KB Homes plead guilty to obstructing the investigation into the backdating of stock options? Not a good time in the whole home building world...

If this is the case, DPM should be man enough to say thats what happened and quit making CAT look bad. The way things went down this seems like the most likely scenario. We all know times are tough and if DP needed to get out because he was spending too much money then I understand, he just needs to say so.

DP owes us nothing - no explanation - it's HIS business. Personal and professional.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back