This Weekend's "NHRA's Greatest Races" (1 Viewer)

Joe, I was thinking the exact same thing. Everything seems better when you look back on it. I've been involved in the sport one way or another all my life, and I remember, for example, the '70s very well, an era that many call the "Golden Age" of drag racing. And it was an awesome time, the FCs had recognizable bodies, cars did dry hops, we had Pro Comp, etc. But, I remember even back then how the skyrocketing costs parked many racers. Then we had the energy crisis. How many times over the course of the sport's history did the NHRA consider banning nitro, or shortening the tracks? More than many may remember. My point is, I really enjoy watching the old shows, but I have a feeling 20 years from now it's going to be fun to watch some of the races we've had in the past decade or two.

The DVD's are listed at www.nhraDVD.com but haven't been released yet. I would expect that to happen soon. Just keep checking that web address.

I saw a release date of March 1st, 2010....

Registered member said:
Take a step down memory lane as NHRA with long-time announcer, television commentator and author, Bill Stephens, relive the great history of NHRA’s most memorable events in a 13-week series entitled “NHRA’s Greatest Races” presented by ProCare Rx. The 30-minute shows will highlight key stories from NHRA national event television coverage from 1972 to 1999, featuring the original race call and commentary of the legendary broadcast team of Dave McClelland and Steve Evans. The shows also feature recent interviews with many of the drivers spotlighted in the races, who reflect on their memorable performances, along with historical commentary and personal observations from long-time NHRA announcer Bob Frey. DVDs will be available for sale March 1, 2010

I'm really enjoying these episodes. I've only been heavily into NHRA the last 13 years or so so I never got to see racers like Jeb Allen, Raymond Beadle race and didn't see Shirley, Snake, Garlits in their prime.

One of the things I noticed from the broadcast and some of the pictures posted on the Snake retirement thread was how small the trailers were. The big names back then had trailers the size of the little guys today!

Comcast Sports Net in the Bay Area apparently is not covering these so I called Directv to order the sports pack so I could get some of the Fox Sports affiliates. I ended up getting the Sports Pack for free for six months and then $10 a month after that plus an additional discount on some other stuff I have. And I didn't even whine! Might be worth a try for those of you with Directv (or Dish) in areas that don't get the broadcast on local channels.

Bill, you did a great job on these. Hope they renew it for another 13 episodes.

Either the cars were smaller or the lanes were wider back then. Also very scary to see cars going 250+ with no guardwalls at the big end ... lots of potential for high speed lawn mowing with less than favorable results.

I too am struck by how much different the sport is now as compared to then. But, I am also struck by how much things have stayed the same. People manipulating the outcome of races, complaining about the high cost of racing, cars taking off some races to save money, some short fields in Top Fuel ... could have been 2009 not 1982.

PS in 1982 I was 8. Just thought I would throw that out there :D Keep up the good work Mr. Stephens for those of us who are not old enough to remember these races.

PSS it was a veritable Bill Stephens-a-palooza on TV Sunday, with the NHRA show and the Mecum (?) Auctions on Discovery HD, and that is a good thing.

Last edited:
Also very scary to see cars going 250+ with no guardwalls at the big end ... lots of potential for high speed lawn mowing with less than favorable results.

Yup.. Just ask Shirley. A guardrail at Saniar would have been nice.

Shirley2.jpg

Thanks for getting the show together, loving it so far. I remember when cable TV came to my small town, we found out that TNN had the NHRA on it....like Christmas! About that same time we got our first VHS tape deck and recorded the diamond P shows every time they came on (manual of course since the clock always blinked "12:00"). I would sneak out of bed at midnight and my dad would be sitting in his chair watching TV winding down from work, he would allow me to stay up and we would pop in a tape. This would have been around '86 or '87 (maybe a bit later, Amato and Dick L were in a bitter title fight). When HPT opened up in '88 it was never the same (after seeing it in person) but I still miss the way the show was done and of coarse Steve Evens and Dave M. It did suck with most the races never making TV and the long delays between the race and the show.

Thanks for getting the show together, loving it so far. I remember when cable TV came to my small town, we found out that TNN had the NHRA on it....like Christmas! About that same time we got our first VHS tape deck and recorded the diamond P shows every time they came on (manual of course since the clock always blinked "12:00"). I would sneak out of bed at midnight and my dad would be sitting in his chair watching TV winding down from work, he would allow me to stay up and we would pop in a tape. This would have been around '86 or '87 (maybe a bit later, Amato and Dick L were in a bitter title fight). When HPT opened up in '88 it was never the same (after seeing it in person) but I still miss the way the show was done and of coarse Steve Evens and Dave M. It did suck with most the races never making TV and the long delays between the race and the show.

And THAT is why I decided to bring back some of those old races for the series. Somewhere in my basement, there is a box filled with old VHS tapes which are moldy, covered with mildew, and long past the point they can still be played. They are all the Diamond P shows I taped 20 years ago and each one represents a small piece of the past that we all miss.

And THAT is why I decided to bring back some of those old races for the series. Somewhere in my basement, there is a box filled with old VHS tapes which are moldy, covered with mildew, and long past the point they can still be played. They are all the Diamond P shows I taped 20 years ago and each one represents a small piece of the past that we all miss.

As luck would have it a buddy and I drove from Hamilton Ontario Canada that weekend.There were no VCR's then and little Tv coverage.I still live in Canada and do not and cannot recieve Fox Sports Network but would appreciate someone to record this episode to DVD and send it to me at my expence.

I've longed to relive that weekend for thirty years! ....... [email protected]

As luck would have it a buddy and I drove from Hamilton Ontario Canada that weekend.There were no VCR's then and little Tv coverage.I still live in Canada and do not and cannot recieve Fox Sports Network but would appreciate someone to record this episode to DVD and send it to me at my expence.

I've longed to relive that weekend for thirty years! ....... [email protected]

Hi Clarence,

I do know that episodes will be available at www.nhradvd.com as we complete more episodes.

Also checkout the public facebook fanpage at FACEBOOK FANPAGE NHRAs Greatest Races

Thanks!

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back