This Weekend's "NHRA's Greatest Races" (1 Viewer)

I love the series, great reliving races from when I was a kid. I'd love to see a full hour and to just see some of the other classes too.

Imagine that. Somebody taking a dive way back in '82! :D Where is Jeb Allen nowadays anyway? Also, didn't remember there being an all woman TF final or Lucille Lee winning a national event. RIP.

They did a pretty good job with the 1/2 hour time frame.

Gary Beck accidently pulled his parachute on his loss to Lee. He thought that he had his hand on the high speed lean out lever, and pulled it, but his hand was actually on the parachute lever. Out it came, and Lee went by.

Also, there was a pretty good interview with Shirley when they wheeled Jeb Allens car into Lees pits to take the engine out for Lucille to use in the final. Right after they told everyone it was broken. :D

Can't wait for the next one.

Bill, one time -- put in the awesome Diamond P intro. The one with Ace exploding the engine on the starting line.

Yeh, that's a cool shot. The blower gets tossed at the hit and just before the edit you can see Buster flinch. I don't know how I can work it in because we're tight on these shows trying to get as much of the racing in as we can.

Great show Bill. I thought yesterday's show was interesting. First, all the parts attrition experienced by the TF cars some 28 years ago. Second, all the controversy about "blocking" between teams, I had forgotten about the events surrounding that race, it's been awhile. About Jeb Allen, I think he went on to be a high-end home builder somewhere in California, not positive though.

AWESOME show Bill, I remember all of these races very well, it sure is nice to relive them again. Thanks again for producing this show, it's a gift to all of us diehards.

Great show this weekend Bill and thanks again for this series! That half hour show is too short!:) For you mid and south central Texas DishNetwork peps channel 416, 11:30am Sunday, cst.

Great show Bill. I thought yesterday's show was interesting. First, all the parts attrition experienced by the TF cars some 28 years ago. Second, all the controversy about "blocking" between teams, I had forgotten about the events surrounding that race, it's been awhile.

I would seem some things change, some things stay the same.

About Jeb Allen, I think he went on to be a high-end home builder somewhere in California, not positive though.

I think you're right. I remember reading that in one of the"Where are they now?" ND articles. I also remember that he said he pretty much stays away from any racing scenes these days, as the couple of times he's attended, old demons came back that he wanted to avoid. Hope he's doing well.

That was a great show, much fun to watch.

Bill, one time -- put in the awesome Diamond P intro. The one with Ace exploding the engine on the starting line.

As luck would have it, Ace tossed that blower at the 1976 Finals. That's Show #7. You'll see it then. You can also see it on the Facebook Fanpage for the series.

I really love the show, Bill. Keep up the good work.

Something happened to me this past Sunday morning that really struck me strangely. Even though I have seen the '82 Springnationals 100's of times, (I have it on tape) I found myself eagerly awaiting the show to come on the air. I noticed that I was more excited about seeing a 28 year old race that I knew the results of, than I am about seeing the upcomming 2010 Winternationals. Those old races had character, drama, but most - personality - and so did the sport. I don't know where it went but I sure miss Drag Racing - if you get my drift.

Can't wait for next week, Bill.

Dave

Something happened to me this past Sunday morning that really struck me strangely. Even though I have seen the '82 Springnationals 100's of times, (I have it on tape) I found myself eagerly awaiting the show to come on the air. I noticed that I was more excited about seeing a 28 year old race that I knew the results of, than I am about seeing the upcomming 2010 Winternationals. Those old races had character, drama, but most - personality - and so did the sport. I don't know where it went but I sure miss Drag Racing - if you get my drift.

Dave

I was the associate producer of "NHRA Today" on TNN in 1994. Everyone at Diamond P who worked on the NHRA shows at the time: Tom Gee, Mark Kuchan, Cindy Harmon, Bill Sheppard, Bob Frey, Mike Kilbane, and of course Mac and Steve Evans, along with many other talented people, all had a passion for the sport--I repeat--a passion for the sport and what you're seeing on the old Diamond P shows is nothing more than that passion being expressed in the way the sport is showcased. You can't fake it, manufacture it, or replace it with anything that works better.

Dave

Dave I think the answer to your question is "We got Older" Everything seemed better when we were 18-24! In 1982 I was 22 and I have memories from then whether it's the Movies I watched, the Music I was listening too, or the gal I was dating! I'm willing to bet if in 15-20 years they show races from 2000 to now, the Kids today will be saying the same thing!

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back