NHRA's Greatest Races Season 2 (1 Viewer)

I LOVE Discovery HD Theater. Same day coverage of WRC, Mecum Auctions, What's My Car Worth, Chasing Classic Cars (Wayne Carini RULES), all kinds of historic races from Goodwood to Monterrey, Great one-off shows that are like mini-documentaries about historic cars or collections, and now NHRA Greatest Races. I am sure I forgot about 10 other shows too ...

If you love cars, HD Theater is rapidly becoming the hot spot on the TV.

I too love all the automotive stuff currently on HDTheatre and "Chasing Classic Cars" with Wayne Carini is one of my faves. Can't wait to see drag racing on this channel now too. Wow, my Friday night just got really great this week, or at least my DVR will get a workout. Thanks Bill for alerting us to this.

I have Cox Digital Cable here in Vegas ... and the descriptions in the on-screen guide are hilarious. Both half-hours are listed as "NHRA Mile High Nationals" and the more info descriptions of the shows are "Funny Cars race for money" for the first half hour and "Tony Schumacher tries to win a drag race" for the second half hour. Don't get me wrong, I can't wait for the shows, but that just cracked me up.

Just to clear up any confusion, the first episode of the series is the 1999 No Bull Showdown and the second is the 2006 World Finals featuring Tony Schumacher's miraculous final round victory to win the championship. The first show airs at 8PM Eastern and the second show follows at 8:30.

HD Theater will be running two episodes per week with 13 shows comprising the series. You would be wise to add HD programming to your cable lineup if you haven't already. Lots of new automotive and drag racing programming is being planned at HD for 2011.

Last edited:
Bill,
I have DirecTV, and looked it up in the schedule (channel 281) on there website. At 5:00pm pacific, it has Mile-High nationals for both half hour slots. I went ahead and selected it to be recorded in case the schedule is wrong.

I'm going to check with the network and see why they have the Mile-High Nationals listed. So far, none of the shows which have been produced have been a Denver race. The two events listed previously are the ones scheduled for the premier: The 1999 No Bull Showdown and the 2006 World Finals.

I'm going to check with the network and see why they have the Mile-High Nationals listed. So far, none of the shows which have been produced have been a Denver race. The two events listed previously are the ones scheduled for the premier: The 1999 No Bull Showdown and the 2006 World Finals.

The show title is Mile-High Nationals, if you select the info on the show it states it is the No Bull Showdown and the 2006 Finals. The show title for next week's show also states Mile-High Nationals.

I have both of these set up to record on the DVR tonight. I watched a few other shows on the HD Theater channel this week too. The American Icon: Hot Rod show was pretty cool too.
It is on Comcast channel 205 for me.
My wife had never been around drag racing before we got together, in 2008. I think she will really enjoy both of these shows and any new ones.
Thanks for getting these out for us, Bill. Looking forward to it.

Bill & NHRA, thanks for the cool shows. They did show the correct shows tonight even though our cable provider, Bright House Cable, had the 2nd show as the Denver Mile High Nationals. Awesome shows! Almost too short, but the pace was fast and the action was great. I loved seeing the old stars (not that old) such as Al Hoffman whacking the throttle to stage the in the 2nd beam to try and thow off Bob Vandergriff in the No Bull Showdown. And we even got a Skuza sighting! And the really cool thing was Scotty Cannon's Oakly NitroMater funny car! Did anyone else spot the top of his windshield like I did? I had to rewind the DVR to watch it again. Way cool! And I never knew Dick Lahaie was crew chief for Doug Herbert back in 1999. He must have moved on to Don Prudhomme soon after that. It also looked like Johhny West was crew chief for Bob Vandergriff back then. Wow, that was so nostalgic. I can't wait to see the next set of shows.

I believe Lahaie and Herbert won a few of those No Bull 100k bonuses too at some races. (They used to have a drawing from the top fuel/funny car drivers and pro stock/pro stock bike drivers and award bonuses for a win.) Doug was in contention all year for the title too. 1999 was the year that I believe all top 10 drivers were within a race or 2 points wise going into indy. There was no countdown, just worked out that way. What does it say for our sport though when races within the last 12-4 years are considered some of the greatest and nostalgic? Bonuses within a race? Still ran 1/4 mile? A race for cash only? No points resets? Top fuel vs funny car? I'm 27 years old and look back to those as some of the best times! Great shows though.. beats digging thru the VHS tapes to find them, and shows some new fans more recent but very different history.

bill, great show - nice to open series with two back 2 back.

definitely would be nice if shows were listed on cable guide as
'nhra greatest races', not 'mile high nationals' as others noted and were
also shown that way on my dish schedule.

really liked the recent interviews commenting on those races, especially
the '99 race, although they sure show aging of personalities;
whether good or bad :eek:

during 'bristol' show, the script commented that kalitta was still
in show as 'fastest loser'; thought to myself, 'have to really be knowledgeable
to understand not only that comment but also the special format of that race;
nevertheless IMO the show's format and script was easy to follow
for non-drag racing fans.

i have only kept a few nat. dragsters from yesteryear, but the bristol race
was one of them - looking back cruz was released a few weeks
earlier from joe gibbs, this being his first race back solo buying randy
anderson's 'parts america' fc and teaming with ron swearingen,
recently released from skuza's team.........who knew.

thank you bill, looking forward to future episodes.

As awesome a feat it was for Alan Johnson to tune that ARMY car to the title in 2006 at the Pomona Finals (I was there to see it live), it still makes me sick to my stomach to see Kalitta lose that title in the fashion that he did.

Alan Johnson is definitely Superman!

For some reason, my DVR failed to record the shows. For those that missed it or had a technological failure like I did, the shows are replayed tonight at Midnight. Don't miss it this time!!!

I accidentally came across this show this weekend (I never read into this thread) - seeing as the title was Mile High Nationals, I had avoided it the first several times I saw it. Until nothing else was on I tuned it in just in time to see the Hofmann throttle blib staging on Vandergriff. The rest of the show was great.

I remember that race like it was yesterday... damn time flies - it was nearly 10 years ago. Something about those cars even at the turn of the century were cooler then those of today. Maybe its the littlest thing such as the fact that back then there were very few if any set back blowers and no air intakes 4 feet high... something about that short, squat, fat looking motor and the sound it makes... much of it still exposed and not covered by shrowds. And the still shapley cars, JF's mustang looked awesome.

Ahh, but anway, I skipped the Schumacher win race... it was an awesome moment, but because it happened in very recent memory so I was turned off to it. Hope one of those races from 95 - 98 make the show, that was my favorite segment time - when I first REALLY got into it bigtime -.

Now back to your regularly scheduled greatest races thread.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back