Strasburg suspended from nhra competition (5 Viewers)

Nope, the 8.89999 doesn't deserve to win. And I am not asking for Mike "to win" in this scenario either. Mike is culpable to complete the test in the given time, and he will tell you the same. What I am saying is let's burn some calories to develop a punishment that fits the crime. He passed the breathalyzer, he completed the primary sample but not the backup sample, he went to the tent at the end of his race day and they weren't there. Mike offered hair and blood, they refused. This is not a man trying to job the system. If it is a 5 race ban, and/or a $10K fine ... I think that is plenty of deturrent for the rest of the clean guys in the sport to make sure they can fill 2 cups when they walk into the tent.

I am all for rules, but I am MUCH more for common sense.
Black and white, written down. You want to "bend" some rules but not others.

Why not take the test at say 9am instead of when your car is in the lanes, next up to run?

This isn't about his failure to produce a sample, its about how serious he took the timing to take the sample.

And before anyone thinks or says I dislike the Strasburg team, I do like them, but they have to abide by the same rules as everyone else.

Last edited:
Mike offered hair and blood, they refused/QUOTE]

finally, some positive feedback, thank you Chris. Maybe this is a remedy we need for the test problem... Use hair, or a blood sample. It would eliminate the problem of not being able to produce a certain amount of urine.

What you think guys, would hair – blood – and the breathalyzer be sufficient??

Mike offered hair and blood, they refused/QUOTE]

finally, some positive feedback, thank you Chris. Maybe this is a remedy we need for the test problem... Use hair, or a blood sample. It would eliminate the problem of not being able to produce a certain amount of urine.

What you think guys, would hair – blood – and the breathalyzer be sufficient??
Depends. Would you show up with moments to spare and ask them to pull hair? Or would you do it in a timely fashion?

Greg, that's the beauty of this. No need for 24-hour time period. When you go to the persons pit to inform them of the random tests – you go ahead and take your samples. No need for privacy – and it would take no more time than a couple of autographs. Problem solved!!!

its about how serious he took the timing to take the sample.

You're pretty big on asking people to back up what they're saying, Greg, so I'll ask the same of you. How would/could you possibly know how serious Strasburg was about the timing? Have you never hurried to a store to get there before closing, to purchase or pick up something really important? Never lost track of time because your mind was preoccupied with something else? Myself, if the lab closed at 6, I wouldn't be worried if I stepped through the door at 5:40....he figured he showed up within the allotted 24 hours, right?

This whole affair is no different than the poor soul who shows up at his local dealership with 35,998 miles on his car, complaining of a slipping transmission, only to have the service tech test-drive the car, put four miles on it and upon returning to the service department, stand there and tell the customer he's out $2500 because his car is now out of warranty. Is the guy SOL, because he waited until the last mile? :eek:

OK, so maybe Mike deserves a spanking and the rules should be black and white with no exceptions. I'm for common sense but the majority seem to be in favor of "Mike should have known". That being said, he deserved a lick, not the beatdown he wound up with. I think even you would agree with that.

I always thought the testing was done to determine if someone was under the influence of alcohol and/or drugs.
In this case it seems to be a matter of enforcing rules.
This has nothing to do with the test itself and for that matter seems rather stupid on NHRA's side.

The Bottom line is NHRA gave him 24 hours to comply (24 hours)and everybody on here wants them to give him more time.It was his own fault for not taking just 15 minutes out of 24 hours to give piss.I am sorry if I sound harsh, but thems the facts.

Paul, i couldnt agree more. 100% spot on.
I have a fleet of drivers who work for me and they are all in a pool to do random drug testing. I have heard every excuse in the world on why they couldnt make it in time to test. I would be shocked to see my best drivers not completing this procedure and guess what,after 37 years of being in business its NEVER happened....amazing?? lucky??? Helll no these guys understand priorities,wow if i dont get to the clinic in the alloted time and produce a complete urine sample....im lookiing for a new job,really simple..not rocket science.
Oh ya, better mention i do have a office in Phoenix. I think it still gets as hot there as it does in Vegas...no problems drug testing...complete samples.
One question to the Mater members(of which i have been a memeber since '06)Why is this the first time we have ever heard about this type of problem???? Did i miss a post or two in the past years??? Or is this a first?? There have been 1000's of drug tests done in the NHRA is this the only case like this??

I was T totally incorrect in making a statement that rulebook does not address this situation. For those who would like to read the information its at:

NHRA Rulebook 2010

Section 1 pg 15

Sub Paragraph 10, 1-5

Sub Paragraph 11

Sub Paragraph 12

Sub Paragraph 13

There are no specific's which would clearly define this situation in the rulebook, but it does simply state that non compliance with anything included in the Substance Abuse Policy will be treated as if you had been tested positive for a prohibited substance. The policy is not included in the rulebook. The policy it given upon request. So, if we are to make a factual response to this situation I believe it would be very important to review the policy. My question is this: Is the policy provided to all participants?

A lot of people are saying:

He doesnt drink or do drugs, give him a break.

I believe that you are saying even if he is not or has not been under the influence while participating, he should be punished. There is the problem I have with this incident. The whole reason they test is to make sure nobody is under the influence and participating in any capacity in this event. Everyone is more hung up on procedure than goal or mission.............
That is like saying DNA has now proven John Doe innocent but we cannot use it because he was given a fair trial and a jury of his peers found him guilty. Wait, that does happen sometimes...........never mind :rolleyes:

A lot of people are saying:

He is under funded, give him a break.
He doesnt drink or do drugs, give him a break.
He traveled a long way, give him a break.

Riddle me this. If a 8.90 racer shows up, under funded, 4000 miles away from home, and never broke out in his life, should he get a courtesy win with a 8.89999?

Sorry man, you won with a 8.93, but this guy........

No. It won't happen.

100% unrelatable.

Ok let's end this thread lol. Is he innocent? Yes he passed the breath test he tried to work with the system. Perhaps bad judgement in timing, as he may have a busy busy day, the facts are that there was no excuse to put it off.
Is he guiity? Yes he was not able to provide what was asked in quantity and in the amount of time.

Summary? He worked with the system, yet there are small signs of the system not working with him, but 100% there is fault on his behalf for waiting to long thus not being able to complete the process.

He should be penalized, but not the season. He passed the breath test but pee and hair are thc and other tests and breath alone was not enough. They refused another form other than pee. Pee, Hair or blood should be an option in addition to the breath. His passing of the breath test is not a full negative on the test yet. It should be appealed. Suspend him 2 qualifying sessions or something. Keep the fine, but he should not be allowed to get away untouched cause there is fault on his side.

Wow, I don't think I have ever seen a thread with 12000 hits on here... Here's the way I look at it for one last time... I have known the whole Strasburg family for many years.. Mike and brother Jeff drive the truck and haul their own show everywhere it goes, when they get to the track the 2 of them set up and start servicing both their own stuff and transmissions for everyone else.. Then their 2 sisters, brother Lindsey and Mikes wife drive the van in and also get to work, then the all volunteer crew starts either driving in or flying in and they get to work as soon as they hit the pits. This operation is how drag racing was when it was fun, everyone works hard and have hardly any time to do anything but race, fix things, and eat.. They have a complete "cookshack", with cooks, that goes everywhere they go and no one (including bystanders, friends, and NHRA crewmembers) goes hungry.. They don't have one part in that trailer they wouldn't GIVE anyone who needed it, and probably go install it for them.. I know all of this for a fact because I have witnessed it first hand.. These people are the most "down to earth", honest, hard working group I have ever been around. I think the effort was made to comply, and the penalty was way to harsh for the crime.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

I believe that you are saying even if he is not or has not been under the influence while participating, he should be punished. There is the problem I have with this incident. The whole reason they test is to make sure nobody is under the influence and participating in any capacity in this event. Everyone is more hung up on procedure than goal or mission.............
That is like saying DNA has now proven John Doe innocent but we cannot use it because he was given a fair trial and a jury of his peers found him guilty. Wait, that does happen sometimes...........never mind :rolleyes:
He is not being suspended for the idea that he did or did not use, or abuse, alcohol or drugs. He was suspended because he did not give the required amount of sample within the required window. I really don't know why everyone thinks he should get a break, when it is clear he did not meet the requirments.

Who else should get the break that you are suggesting?

Do I think it is too harsh, yes. But, the rule was in place before he showed up that weekend, he knows the rules since he has been tested before, and quite frankly he had from the time he was notified on Friday till 6pm, and then from 8am till the final round of qualifiying on Saturday to go take care of business.

Last edited:
Has anybody read, seen, or been given the a copy the Substance Abuse Policy. Now if Mr. Strasburg is being punished for violating of the Substance Abuse Policy for being in non compliance with said policy then

1) Was a copy of the policy given to him.

2) Does the policy give specific's in regards to the conducting of the test required to maintain your license to drive.

3) Are the methods, standards, and specific's to the testing of participants outlined in the policy.

The reason that this thread lives is because of generalities. No specific information as to which part of the Substance Abuse Policy did Mr. Strasburg violate. For those who think this a dead horse issue are wrong. NHRA made the public announcement of his suspension and added no further details (i.e. chapter and verse of what policy/rule he violated). I think it would edifying for the participants to know exactly what is required to maintain your license to participate in drag racing competition. The other thing that''s problematic with me is that if they can get DNA off a smoked cigarette butt. How hard is it to find out if your using drugs out of 1 oz of urine.

Has anybody read, seen, or been given the a copy the Substance Abuse Policy. Now if Mr. Strasburg is being punished for violating of the Substance Abuse Policy for being in non compliance with said policy then

1) Was a copy of the policy given to him.

2) Does the policy give specific's in regards to the conducting of the test required to maintain your license to drive.

3) Are the methods, standards, and specific's to the testing of participants outlined in the policy.

The reason that this thread lives is because of generalities. No specific information as to which part of the Substance Abuse Policy did Mr. Strasburg violate. For those who think this a dead horse issue are wrong. NHRA made the public announcement of his suspension and added no further details (i.e. chapter and verse of what policy/rule he violated). I think it would edifying for the participants to know exactly what is required to maintain your license to participate in drag racing competition. The other thing that''s problematic with me is that if they can get DNA off a smoked cigarette butt. How hard is it to find out if your using drugs out of 1 oz of urine.

I disagree that this thread lives because of generalities. Jeff Arend's posts very early in this thread answer all of the questions above VERY SPECIFICALLY. The reason this thread lives is because there are 2 camps:

Camp 1: Rules are Rules, they are the same for everybody, tough luck Mr. Strasburg but you are out.

Camp 2: Given the extenuating circumstances of the several attempts by Mr. Strasburg to comply with the rules of this test, the punishment does not fit the crime and surely there is a compromise where all parties can be satisfied. (I belong to this camp)

I disagree that this thread lives because of generalities. Jeff Arend's posts very early in this thread answer all of the questions above VERY SPECIFICALLY. The reason this thread lives is because there are 2 camps:

Camp 1: Rules are Rules, they are the same for everybody, tough luck Mr. Strasburg but you are out.

Camp 2: Given the extenuating circumstances of the several attempts by Mr. Strasburg to comply with the rules of this test, the punishment does not fit the crime and surely there is a compromise where all parties can be satisfied. (I belong to this camp)

For the record, ditto me in Camp # 2.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back