Guidera Suspended From NHRA (1 Viewer)

I'm first to jump on the NHRA for their mistakes but I applaud this action as there is no place in professional sports - period for substance abuse.
It endangers other participants.
It endangers the participant himself
and
Like it or not (Sorry Charles Barkley) professionals ARE ROLE MODELS!

No clean participant should ever be afraid of proving his choice to be clean.

I'm clearly aware that liberals will disagree - in fact, I expect then to.

That is a shocker. The NHRA drug tester group sign off on what time they give you the notice and every time my guys have gotten one, they write it on the envelope.

While I still go with the "innocent until proven guilty" mantra, generally a person who refuses to take a test or misses a mandatory screening is not complying for a reason (read: something to hide).

Hopefully that's not the case and it's just a misunderstanding.

Either way....not the kind of news that the sport needs on its biggest weekend.

Sounds like some are saying guilty until proven innocent.

Welcome to today's general public and their penchant for immediately crucifying anyone involved in an alleged scandal...guilty or not. After all, if the media broke it, it must be true.

"Guilty first, then we'll sort out the bullsh*t".

Oh how some love to see the mighty fall before due process.

That being said, if he is found in violation, I hope that those who tend to find things like this worthy of a death sentence would find somehow a way to offer second chances. People make mistakes.

Good luck, Matt regardless of the outcome.

No clean participant should ever be afraid of proving his choice to be clean.

I'm clearly aware that liberals will disagree - in fact, I expect then to.

Not sure what liberal vs. conservative has to do with it, but here's one liberal who agrees. While I certainly understand the "guilty until proven innocent" cries, this rule set is really clear. And the only reason I can imagine why a test was not provided is concern about the result. The equivalent of a "no lo contendre" plea.

Too bad, sure, but a clear rule, and a clear fail -- or NHRA wouldn't have been so dramatic and so public about it.

Welcome to today's general public and their penchant for immediately crucifying anyone involved in an alleged scandal...guilty or not. After all, if the media broke it, it must be true.

"Guilty first, then we'll sort out the bullsh*t".

Oh how some love to see the mighty fall before due process.

That being said, if he is found in violation...

I'm sorry, Drew, he was found in violation. He didn't provide the sample, so the rule is clear - it's the equivalent of a failed test. There is a well defined appeals process, if he chooses to avail himself of that. And the media didn't break it, NHRA, the sanctioning body, did.

Sounds like some are saying guilty until proven innocent.

My remarks most certainly didn't call out a guilty plea for Matt. There could, very well be a misunderstanding, misinterpretation of the rule or simple detail undone that could easily be settled without issue with a proper appeal to the sanctioning body. I hope this is the case as much as anybody here.

My remarks called out anyone hiding from a drug test as more than a possible suspect and I openly congratulated a sanctioning body for acting quickly and responsibly. My wife and I raised a houseful of athletes. They all competed against substance abusers - many on their own teams openly using performance enhancing medications or otherwise. They have seen their heroes in professional sports time and again get a pass from the league then fall off the wagon again as if to say it doesn't mean anything to get busted a time or two. I disagree with this and any sanctioning body or league that does not control this problem promptly and immediately from within using a position of power. Without such, you open Pandora's box forever and I wouldn't like to see that in the NHRA.

There's something very wrong about professionals not exercising self control or acting responsibly in my opinion. The big disappointment is that the media loves these darlings.

I sincerely hope this situation plays out in Matt's favor with an open and clean bill of health for him. I would like nothing more for Matt and his fans.

Always unfortunate to hear these types of accounts by others. It seems this is just another body shot to a drag racing figure from the greater Sacramento/San Joaquin valley region.

It's my hope, it all gets worked out in a positive way.

Nothing else to add on this deal.

Thanks for the report Bob, good effort!

Last edited:
I'm sorry, Drew, he was found in violation. He didn't provide the sample, so the rule is clear - it's the equivalent of a failed test. There is a well defined appeals process, if he chooses to avail himself of that. And the media didn't break it, NHRA, the sanctioning body, did.

You're right and I didn't mean to imply that because he didn't supply a sample he shouldn't be penalized. You're correct, rules are rules and if one doesn't want to adhere to them then the choice is either go somewhere else or accept the punishment per the rules.

We're randomly tested where I work and refusal is grounds for immediate termination. That's the rules of our company and a condition of employment.

Without us knowing the full story, I was merely saying that we can't say he's definitively guilty. He's just in violation of a rule. He'll get his due process.

You're right and I didn't mean to imply that because he didn't supply a sample he shouldn't be penalized. You're correct, rules are rules and if one doesn't want to adhere to them then the choice is either go somewhere else or accept the punishment per the rules.

We're randomly tested where I work and refusal is grounds for immediate termination. That's the rules of our company and a condition of employment.

Without us knowing the full story, I was merely saying that we can't say he's definitively guilty. He's just in violation of a rule. He'll get his due process.

So how and why is this any different than the nitro debacle with DSR? Almost everyone is ready to hang this guy. Perhaps he should come on here and say a few words in his defense. If he does watch the opinions change and the mater go to war for him. You break a rule you deserve what you get I don't care what your name is.

According to the rule, they get 24 hours to submit everything involving the test? Hell, in most jobs out here in the non-racing (transportation) world, we get 2 hours. 2 hours to submit a sample of urine and an immediate on the spot breathalizer. After 2 hours and 1 minute, it's considered a failed test. Unless all the facts aren't in (come on, this IS the NHRA, ya know!), 24 hours is very, very liberal. Hope all this gets straightened out for him.

So he shows up with a few minutes to spare and then can't pee? Oh, come on. Why cut it so close? He had a whole day... And why not quickly slug down a bottle of water beforehand? I'm sorry, but this stinks.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back