Strasburg suspended from nhra competition (1 Viewer)

3) So, first they give you a breathalyzer to test for alcohol. Assuming you pass that they give you ONE (1) little plastic cup to pee in and you only have to fill it up about an inch or so. To give you an example if you would wait until you have to go normally, you could fill the whole cup up easily and then some. After you fill up the cup to the line that they have on there, then the Dr. transfers it into 2 (two) small vials that get labeled and initialed. And that's about it. Now, don't get me wrong, I have been there before after drinking lots of water and couldn't produce a proper sample, especially if you go after a run and are dehydrated. The difference is, I don't go at the last minute!

I guess reading isn't a strong point for some of you! ;)

I guess I should have used the word cup instead of vial. One cup, and the doctor splits it into 2 vials. It's a good thing I can type better than I can read!

Failure to produce is non-compliance. It's that simple. Showing up and not leaving enough to test isn't their problem. Passing a drug test is like you are guilty until proven innocent.

fair enough and a punishment is acceptable, but how is failure to pee enough worse than someone who does fail?

fair enough and a punishment is acceptable, but how is failure to pee enough worse than someone who does fail?

Low profile vs. high profile. This way they can claim they are tough on drugs without losing anr stars.

Anyone that believes these tests are random is very naive. I have pulled 65 straight quarters of tests for a company 15,000+ employs. Almost always urine and breath both. I complained and was told "we know you will pass".

Funny how we haven't heard from the biggest defender of the NHRA on this. Must think they are wrong on this one.

Please remember the rule book means nothing. The ink is never dry policy manuel is changed to fit any situation and trumps the rule book.

This would never happen to the Kalitta, Schumacker, Lucas, or Force camps.

Last edited:
I definitely see both sides arguing points. But heres a thought nobody's addressed........... What prevents a person being tested from carrying a hidden "clean" sample in their underwear and pouring it into the cup in private? I was tested in 2008 by NHRA and all went just fine. Breathalyzer and UA. BUT...........What amazed me was the fact they just handed me a cup and said go in this room and pee. A guy did stand outside the door but seriously.....what could that really accomplish?

They did ask me to empty all my pockets which I did, but beyond that, anything hidden a little better could've been used for sample's sake. After I was done testing, I mentioned to one of my peers in T/F about what a joke that process was and he laughed and said....." Oh yeah, its a joke.
I know " whats his name" (name omitted for obvious reasons) actually takes synthetic urine inside his undies if his sample is questionable and just pours it in the cup. Passes every time too! "

I was shocked at first but then given the process in which they monitored my test, I understood how easy it could be to pull this off. Now obviously I have no personal evidence of this ever occurring, I'm just repeating a story told to me. So please dont shoot the messenger. Even if his story was BS, its a matter to consider.

Maybe NHRA and their drug/alcohol testers need to consider this and make appropriate adjustments. I'm certain there will be a host of you "tee off" on this idea but if its all about "making sure" everything is PERFECTLY carried out to the letter of the law, then this closer observation should be addressed. For Gods sake, if a man or woman has courage enough to strap on a Fueler and go 300+ plus in 4 seconds, I'd like to think they could pee in front of a like type gender official.

I hope a sensible penalty can be established for Mike. I know his whole team and family are really Good People, but I respect the NHRA for having rules out there to keep all of us safe in the midst of our competitors, as well.

May justice with a lil bit of common sense and rationality prevail. AB

UPDATE: Admittedly, eventhough Ive been in healthcare (Chiropractic) for almost 20 yrs, I had never heard of synthetic urine being out there until the story I mentioned above. So........... just for the sake of this article, I googled it just now and in less than 5 seconds, I found this website. Ck it out........Quick Fix Urine.

It appears for less than 30 bucks you too, can have a good "clean" urine sample should you ever have the need. The sad part is, with this new revelation on how you can beat the system being readily available, so is the chance of an impaired driver going down the track, courtesy of companies like these along with my post. So...... I guess its a good time for NHRA to recognize this risk and address it now.

Last edited:
Low profile vs. high profile. This way they can claim they are tough on drugs without losing anr stars.

Anyone that believes these tests are random is very naive. I have pulled 65 straight quarters of tests for a company 15,000+ employs. Almost always urine and breath both. I complained and was told "we know you will pass".

Funny how we haven't heard from the biggest defender of the NHRA on this. Must think they are wrong on this one.

Please remember the rule book means nothing. The ink is never dry policy manuel is changed to fit any situation and trumps the rule book.

This would never happen to the Kalitta, Schumacker, Lucas, or Force camps.

tell that to Allen Johnson

I assume you're refering to me. I have stayed away from this because there is nothing to discuss. But since you called me out. Here it is.

The rule is black and white. Mike knows he made a mistake. He can appeal the penalty if he wishes. Go back and read Jeff's posts. They hand you the information and explain very clearly what you MUST do and what will happen if you don't.

I don't know anybody that thinks Mike was trying to break the rule, or that he was trying to hide something. That doesn't change the fact that he didn't comply with what was required of him. The penalty for non compliance is also spelled out in black and white. And does anyone remember that this has happened before? Matt Guidera did almost exactly the same thing a couple of years ago, the penalty? Suspended for a year.

As far as A.J. that is also spelled out very clearly, he failed the breath test and was punished according to the rule book. He then was back on track only after complying with what was required of him as is also spelled out in back and white.

When I was in the construction industry and also when I was a CDL driver, testing was a fact of life. They would serve you the paperwork in the morning and tell you the test center closes at 4:30. If you fail the test you had treatment options and a counceling plan that you were required to complete before returning to work. But, if you don't get in for the test by 4:30, you are fired. Show up 5 minutes late and guess what? You don't have a job anymore. I saw that happen once. Only once, after that everybody I know planned to be there by noon, so that if they got delayed they still had a cushion in case of a flat tire or traffic jam.

I hate it for Mike and his team, they are true racers in every sense of the word, and have also never been anything but nice to me. That doesn't change the facts.

Drug policies leave no wiggle room. Don't blame NHRA for that.

As far as the notion that the rule wouldn't apply to the big teams, you must be new here if you don't think NHRA has ever disiplined DSR or JFR. for a rule infraction.

Alan

Last edited:

As far as the notion that the rule wouldn't apply to the big teams, you must be new here if you don't think NHRA has ever disiplined DSR or JFR. for a rule infraction.

Alan

Fines mean nothing to the big four. Suspensions and points do.

All drug testing I have been involved with, you can't leave or be out of sight of the tester once you show up.

A Pro Stock bike rider is expendable, just like a part time Top Fuel driver. Suspending a driver for one of the big four in nitro is not going to happen.

I definitely see both sides arguing points. But heres a thought nobody's addressed........... What prevents a person being tested from carrying a hidden "clean" sample in their underwear and pouring it into the cup in private? I was tested in 2008 by NHRA and all went just fine. Breathalyzer and UA. BUT...........What amazed me was the fact they just handed me a cup and said go in this room and pee. A guy did stand outside the door but seriously.....what could that really accomplish?

They did ask me to empty all my pockets which I did, but beyond that, anything hidden a little better could've been used for sample's sake. After I was done testing, I mentioned to one of my peers in T/F about what a joke that process was and he laughed and said....." Oh yeah, its a joke.
I know " whats his name" (name omitted for obvious reasons) actually takes synthetic urine inside his undies if his sample is questionable and just pours it in the cup. Passes every time too! "

I was shocked at first but then given the process in which they monitored my test, I understood how easy it could be to pull this off. Now obviously I have no personal evidence of this ever occurring, I'm just repeating a story told to me. So please dont shoot the messenger. Even if his story was BS, its a matter to consider.

Maybe NHRA and their drug/alcohol testers need to consider this and make appropriate adjustments. I'm certain there will be a host of you "tee off" on this idea but if its all about "making sure" everything is PERFECTLY carried out to the letter of the law, then this closer observation should be addressed. For Gods sake, if a man or woman has courage enough to strap on a Fueler and go 300+ plus in 4 seconds, I'd like to think they could pee in front of a like type gender official.

I hope a sensible penalty can be established for Mike. I know his whole team and family are really Good People, but I respect the NHRA for having rules out there to keep all of us safe in the midst of our competitors, as well.

May justice with a lil bit of common sense and rationality prevail. AB

UPDATE: Admittedly, eventhough Ive been in healthcare (Chiropractic) for almost 20 yrs, I had never heard of synthetic urine being out there until the story I mentioned above. So........... just for the sake of this article, I googled it just now and in less than 5 seconds, I found this website. Ck it out........Quick Fix Urine.

It appears for less than 30 bucks you too, can have a good "clean" urine sample should you ever have the need. The sad part is, with this new revelation on how you can beat the system being readily available, so is the chance of an impaired driver going down the track, courtesy of companies like these along with my post. So...... I guess its a good time for NHRA to recognize this risk and address it now.

Its been around awhile. An NFL player I think from the vikings got busted a few years ago for having a "whizinator". Which can be used to beat test.

I assume you're refering to me. I have stayed away from this because there is nothing to discuss. But since you called me out. Here it is.

The rule is black and white. Mike knows he made a mistake. He can appeal the penalty if he wishes. Go back and read Jeff's posts. They hand you the information and explain very clearly what you MUST do and what will happen if you don't.

I don't know anybody that thinks Mike was trying to break the rule, or that he was trying to hide something. That doesn't change the fact that he didn't comply with what was required of him. The penalty for non compliance is also spelled out in black and white. And does anyone remember that this has happened before? Matt Guidera did almost exactly the same thing a couple of years ago, the penalty? Suspended for a year.

As far as A.J. that is also spelled out very clearly, he failed the breath test and was punished according to the rule book. He then was back on track only after complying with what was required of him as is also spelled out in back and white.

When I was in the construction industry and also when I was a CDL driver, testing was a fact of life. They would serve you the paperwork in the morning and tell you the test center closes at 4:30. If you fail the test you had treatment options and a counceling plan that you were required to complete before returning to work. But, if you don't get in for the test by 4:30, you are fired. Show up 5 minutes late and guess what? You don't have a job anymore. I saw that happen once. Only once, after that everybody I know planned to be there by noon, so that if they got delayed they still had a cushion in case of a flat tire or traffic jam.

I hate it for Mike and his team, they are true recers in every sense of the word, and have also never been anything but nice to me. That doesn't change the facts.

Drug policies leave no wiggle room. Don't blame NHRA for that.

Alan

Mike messed up and it stinks for him, but that is 100% on him. The penalty is where the issue is. I do hope that NHRA does look over their plan though. Suspending someone who has there, peed (it seems enough for an initial test even) but didn't pee enough, shouldn't get a year. Especially when someone who fails a test only gets one race. I can see if he never showed up at all throwing the book at him. But common sense should prevail. It looks like its better to go in there lit up then it is to miss the test and that seems backwards.

On another topic, I have never read, thought of or debated another person pee this much before and never thought I would. Ahhh the joys of the internet lol

John,

If I am employeed as a driver by one of the Super Teams, and I get picked for a drug test I will assume that if I don't do it I will be fired and replaced. I would be there early, and if there was an issue I would leave myself time to drink water, or come back later, and still be within the window. Do you think if Jeff Arend had not made it within the 24 hrs, he would still be driving that car? He knows that answer, so he goes early.

Did you know that AJ went first thing in the morning and when he failed the breath test he had such a small number that he would NOT have gotten a ticket if he was testing for a state trooper? But the rule is zero tolerence so he was punished. Exactly as outlined by the rules. Did you also know that if he had waited until afternoon it would have been out of his system and he most likely would have passed? He still had plenty of time on the 24 hr clock so should he have been allowed to leave and try again later? It doesn't work like that.

Every drug policy I know of is very strict, that's why they personally deliver the package and explain it to you so that the consequences are understood. Once you sign off that you understand the rules and the penalties, then it's up to you to comply, or pay the penalty.

Again, I HATE this for Mike, but he is the one who made the mistake.

Alan

You make good sense, Alan. You really do. But something is fundamentally wrong when theoretical Racer "A" blows 3 times over the legal limit or submits a sample that is more methamphetamine than urine and receives a 'first time violation' as per the NHRA rules - suspended for the remainder of that particular race - and Racer 'B', who pees a clean vial but lacks the pee to fill a second vial because he showed up too close to closing - and receives a one-year suspension, a major-league fine and a black eye on his record that will never come off or be forgotten.

Too bad Strasburg can't come one here and detail exactly what happened. Not in his best interests, since NHRA has allowed him to be present at the track and his appeal (or decision not to appeal) hasn't been decided yet. For now, there's some facts but a whole lot of guessing and speculation. Ya, I'm guilty too. :(

I don't know Mr. Strasburg but there is also "the older guy factor". Most men in their 50s begin to experience enlarged prostrate which can limit the volume of urine that can be expelled. Just a thought.

Its been around awhile. An NFL player I think from the vikings got busted a few years ago for having a "whizinator". Which can be used to beat test.

Back in the late 80's and early 90's i had ALL my drivers take the required drug screen before a witness,up thats right,it was witnessed by a same gendered nurse or doctor.I NEVER had anyone refuse it,and i employ 100's of drivers and office staff.In todays testing i no longer reqiure it to be witnessed but i make sure the testing facility put a temp stip on the container that holds the urine before it is split into 2 vials.You may have a urine sample on you but if it doesnt come out of you the temp will throw you under the truck as it will show it being to cold.I have had a few of those and its kind of funny when i tell the driver he flunked because his pee was to cold.You see as soon as the urine hits the container it records the highest temp....so it could sit in the lab for awhile and its still ok.....i love it.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back