Tommy Johnson Jr. (1 Viewer)

wow I wonder what it is. And what is the approved list of NHRA meds?

Prolly cold medicine but, I'm sure it'll serve as another example of an unintended consequence of a "Zero Tolerance" policy. Another example of "Zero tolerance" being substituted for good judgement

This was a prescription drug Tommy has taken for 18 years for a sleeping disorder. He listed it before he took the test. It is accepted in the NHRA but not on FIA's list which TJ found out the hard way.

What a crock! I hope they (FIA) get their BS together and clear Tommy ASAP.

with him not being able to race this weekend and as it seemed not able to run the finals at santa pod .. he has a 121 point lead with a max of 103 per event . so if no on catches him over the 2 races he could still be champ .. i wonder if he will keep the points he has up to now or will the be stripped ??

I am completely against drug testing for this very reason. it's like a one size fits all Government policy. Just about everyone takes legal prescription drugs and if you can't tell the difference you have no business conducting drug tests.

BTW I was a RAD member until we began to have to pay dues (I have enough bills to pay as it is).

I understand drug testing, but I mean he's been taking it for 18 years. NHRA Approved. It's a drug for a condition. It's not a drug to get high. Give him a break. The FIA does not really have any grounds to suspend him on, the drug may not be on the list due to him maybe being the first person in the FIA to ever take it. If he violated any policy it's stating it 2 weeks when they like a month. He should be dismissed and left alone.

Not only does this suck for TJ, but it sucks for the whole team. FIA got this one wrong big time.

This is a sad and unfortunate occurrence. TJ and the Andersens were having an outstanding season and I don't suppose anyone is happy at this outcome, not even the other drivers now back in with a shot at the championship.

However, love it or hate it, the FIA isn't some tinpot body that dreams up random rules on a whim or a fancy.

It's the official governing body of world motorsport.

It directly sanctions 28 international series, including F1 and the European Drag Racing Championship (count 'em on the website) and, indirectly through its affiliated national organisations around the world, doubtless hundreds more. Is it really going to override its internationally accepted legislation to suit one driver in one class in just one of those series who's made a mistake? Of course not.

I'm not aware that TJ and the Andersens are complaining of being hard done by, just disappointed that they hadn't fully appraised themselves of what's required.

FIA's national affiliate in the USA is ACCUS, of which NHRA is a member club. I'm faintly surprised to learn that NHRA's regs apparently don't accord with FIA's international standards, though I can't say I've ever given it a moment's thought till this blew up. It's one of those myriad things in life about which I know precisely zip-all.

BTW, despite all this, the Andersens' car, with Thomas Nataas in the seat and TJ in the crew, still made low qualifier at 4.839 (1320) for tomorrow's eliminations at Hockenheim.

I guess my question would be, if this is a banned substance in FIA, even though TJ has a prescription for it. Then when he wrote on the test form that he was taking it, why didn't they tell him that it would be an automatic failure, and let the team put another driver in the car. Instead of letting him compete, then punishing him? If you went to an NHRA drug test and said, I'm on Heroin, they wouldn't allow you to compete for three months, before deciding to suspend you.

And why the Hell would it take this long to figure it out?

Alan

However, love it or hate it, the FIA isn't some tinpot body that dreams up random rules on a whim or a fancy.

If a motorsports governing body has a rule in effect that will disqualify a driver for using a needed physician prescribed drug that is neither performance enhancing nor intoxicating, it is indeed a "tinpot body that dreams up random rules on a whim or fancy".

I guess my question would be, if this is a banned substance in FIA, even though TJ has a prescription for it. Then when he wrote on the test form that he was taking it, why didn't they tell him that it would be an automatic failure, and let the team put another driver in the car. Instead of letting him compete, then punishing him? If you went to an NHRA drug test and said, I'm on Heroin, they wouldn't allow you to compete for three months, before deciding to suspend you.

And why the Hell would it take this long to figure it out?

Alan

I have no idea.

I did say, re the FIA, "love it or hate it..."

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back