Tommy Johnson Jr. (1 Viewer)

However, love it or hate it, the FIA isn't some tinpot body that dreams up random rules on a whim or a fancy.
It's a touchy subject for a lot of reasons but suffice it to say that some aspects of how things are run at large and small sanctioning bodies across the globe are not always according to the image they manage to project to the public.

It's the official governing body of world motorsport.
How do you define "official" in this context? Yes, no doubt, the FIA has been doing real good over 106 years but it's still just a non-profit governing body. AFAIK, there is no national or international law that says that we have to abide by anything the FIA says.

Of course, if your choice is to race under a given sanction then you need to follow their rules, but that's like in any of a myriad of locally sanctioned series around the whole world of motor sports. Meself have been part of a project or two where we are looking not to run with anything connected to FIA or UEM (UEM is the European "branch" of FIM, i.e. bikes). It works because legally we can do whatever we want without the involvement of FIA/UEM, we can even run national championships here without the need to involve any "member clubs" (that's the phrase FIA uses for the local national sanctiong bodies in different countries) of either FIA or UEM. The biggest problem we face is a perception among the racing community, racers as well as track owners etc., that all motorsports are somewhat legally bound to go by FIA/UEM sanctioning, i.e. that FIA/UEM are somehow "official". Which, again, is not the case. The debate about the future of Formula 1 is interesting in the respect.

On another tack, please post a link to where on FIA.com you can find the current FIA drag racing records for ET and speed.

Hehe, could be that there's a load more to Alans post than he figured when he wrote it ;) <- smiley

Regards
PiPPi
http://HarleyDrags.com

Last edited:
I'm not tub-thumping on the FIA's behalf here, simply trying to make the point that a large international organisation with a large set of rules is unlikely to change them to suit one driver on a single occasion.

On another tack, please post a link to where on FIA.com you can find the current FIA drag racing records for ET and speed.

Regards
PiPPi

Good point. Speedgroup has a records page (Speedgroup) and Andy Marrs seems to be the generally-accepted "keeper of records", but I can't see anything apart from land speed records on FIA's website.

I'm not tub-thumping on the FIA's behalf here, simply trying to make the point that a large international organisation with a large set of rules is unlikely to change them to suit one driver on a single occasion.
Yes, and my apologies if I come across as a FIA/UEM-basher or starter-of-internet-quarrels :) But... As I alluded to earlier, I, personally, see a lot more than meets the eye in Alans points up here.

Good point. Speedgroup has a records page (Speedgroup) and Andy Marrs seems to be the generally-accepted "keeper of records", but I can't see anything apart from land speed records on FIA's website.
No, and if you ask some of the powers that be they will tell you that, apart from the land speeds, there are no official FIA records.

There are famous drag racers like Priddle, La Haie, Bob Glidden, Eddie Hill, Gene Snow and more in the FIA land speed records lists but they are deemed land speed records and not drag racing records.

UEM keeps ET and speed records of their European Dragbike Championships. Their latest list is dated June 6, 2010.

'Mater Meeting at the Finals?

Regards
PiPPi

As I alluded to earlier, I, personally, see a lot more than meets the eye in Alans points up here.

Could be right. I'm only going by what I've read (cursorily) on Eurodragster. I formed the impression that it was largely a question of paperwork, and that the medication could have been cleared if (some other) right form had been filled in at (some other) right time. But that impression could be wrong. I'd have to re-read everything to see for slightly surer and, just now, there are other things to do.

On an other note; after q3 Kenni Neergaard seems to be suddenly removed from qualifing. Makes you wonder if it this was because of an protest of one of his fellow competitors or because the race director woke up.
He would have been no. 8 and quess who would have been bumped??

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back