Guidera Suspended From NHRA (1 Viewer)

I hope we find that Guidera's stupidity in this matter was limited to failing to meet the 24 hour requirement and not actual illegal drug use. While I would be the first to say that he should not be convicted in the court of public opinion without conclusive evidence, I would hope that Guidera would submit to a drug test immediately in order to erase all doubts. In the end the harm done to Guidera's reputation could be far greater than any penalty handed down by the NHRA.

I'm watching this thread AND future broadcasts with great interest. And, yes, Bobby, I'm a liberal (blue dog, fascist, whatever the Rushian term in vogue for us is now) and I agree totally with Christopher that I have no idea what the good ol' liberal vs conservative rap has to do with this issue. But for what it's worth, here are my thoughts. I agree with those who posted that Matt seemed very uneasy in his interview on tv during the first qual segment (which is not necessarily indicative of guilt, but will often be perceived as such, sometimes correctly). But I am confused with what I have heard, read, etc. Did Matt make it to take the test before the 24 hr limit? In his interview he made it sound like he presented himself before the end of the 24 hr period but in his words "was timed out" and not allowed to wait to deliver the "specimen".

So now to the questions...yep, he should have gotten there sooner, but IF he did get there in time, that becomes moot. If you file your income tax at 11:59 April 14, that's good enough. If he didn't get there on time, or was summoned, warned, etc. at the last minute to "get up there" and didn't make it, then all bets are off and he is guilty of not appearing, which in most drug testing scenarios is the same as an admission of guilt.

But if he WAS there of his own volition slightly before the time limit but still within the time limit, he is guilty of only poor judgment on his part.

Now, as I understand it, he did NOT take (thus did not fail) a drug screening right? Then my question is--if he was there for the test and was unable to "deliver" was he given the opportunity to wait a bit and try again and chose not to or was he told that he had "timed out" and was not given an opportunity to wait and deliver a specimen while he was on the premises.

I'm really confused on this one, and I want to think the best about Matt, so I'm trying to hold off judgment until I know more of the facts (If I ever do...) details at 11!

Now, as I understand it, he did NOT take (thus did not fail) a drug screening right? Then my question is--if he was there for the test and was unable to "deliver" was he given the opportunity to wait a bit and try again and chose not to or was he told that he had "timed out" and was not given an opportunity to wait and deliver a specimen while he was on the premises.

It appears that he did show up on time, but couldn't produce. We don't know how much time he was allowed, but, just for argument how long is too long? An hour? Three? One has to assume they weren't standing there with a stopwatch...

The rules do not specifically call out the timing, but say the testing authority has the right to set the rules. 24 hours is very, very generous. I've been in HR at the highest levels, and I can tell you that 4-6 hours is common, and 2 is generally the minimum. I've never seen 24.

Finally, the NHRA rules, and most places consider a no-show or no-pee the same as a fail. If it was any other way, guilty people would just decline to take the test, and demand a re-do -- when they were clean. That's why some kind of re-test today or tomorrow misses the whole point. He was called to take a test. He didn't.

It appears that he did show up on time, but couldn't produce. We don't know how much time he was allowed, but, just for argument how long is too long? An hour? Three? One has to assume they weren't standing there with a stopwatch...

The rules do not specifically call out the timing, but say the testing authority has the right to set the rules. 24 hours is very, very generous. I've been in HR at the highest levels, and I can tell you that 4-6 hours is common, and 2 is generally the minimum. I've never seen 24.

Finally, the NHRA rules, and most places consider a no-show or no-pee the same as a fail. If it was any other way, guilty people would just decline to take the test, and demand a re-do -- when they were clean. That's why some kind of re-test today or tomorrow misses the whole point. He was called to take a test. He didn't.

Agreed, Chris--I do believe we're on the same page, just saying it differently. What I was trying to say (and not doing a very good job of it) was as long as he got there on time, being toward the latter end of the 24 hr window shouldn't make any difference. Otherwise I am in total agreement with you about 24 hrs being very generous (last time I got tested NHRA style, at Topeka, they pulled my number, someone came to my pit and told me to go get tested before I could run my next time trial) and that a no show or no-produce should be a failure. I'm just trying to keep myself from condemning Matt cause he seemed so damn guilty during his interview on tv...ya know what I mean?

cant they just take hair and have a test done or is it only dna they can do that with?

Urine is very well proven and doesn't need much of a lab, just add a few chemicals, read the colors, etc. Can be done just about anywhere. Hair (and other) testing requires much more sophisticated equipment.

Urine is very well proven and doesn't need much of a lab, just add a few chemicals, read the colors, etc. Can be done just about anywhere. Hair (and other) testing requires much more sophisticated equipment.
Yea but hair will show what you done in the past year or farther..LOL

Urine will cover it. Chemicals like cocaine, crack, etc will leave the system within 48 hrs. But the test itself checks for benzoylecgonine..which is a byproduct which hangs around for a month. Pot will go for 28 days. I honestly don't understand the whole controversy. He knew when he was supposed to be there..and he wasn't. Then he mentioned a quantity? Huh..like you couldn't pee enough? I don't believe NHRA would sacrifice you if you were there to give a sample..but then all this other garbage shows up. "I'm trying to pee man?" I've never had an issue providing a sample...ever. And that's after peeing 1/2 hour before.

He got the notice. Knew when he was supposed to have it done. There are no excuses for what happened.

This is ashame, I hope its really just a misunderstanding for everyones sake. Does the nhra test for like steriods hgh and other p.e.s like baseball and football or is it just "bad" drugs like weed coke and meth etc?

I wonder what percentage of drivers/crewmembers have been tested?
Do they even test crewmembers?
high profile drivers-how many have been tested?
And to beat a dead horse what about the NHRA exe who got busted for DUI. He still has his job. A little one sided justice?
Whats good for the goose should be good for the gander.
sure I smoked pot, but didn't inhale -- yea right lol
sex, no I didn't have sex with that women but it sure felt good. oups you need a kleenex ---lol
all guilty by association

Must you "give" a sample inside 24 hrs, or "report" to give a sample inside 24 hrs ? If it's report then he should have stayed until the sample was sufficient. Makes me wonder if the rule was not made CRYSTAL CLEAR to everyone by NHRA.

Time for Matt to retroactively transfer to Force Racing for that favorable interpretation. :D

Seriously, 24 hours? Where I work after you are notified you have 1/2 hour to report to the medical center. Miss that window and you better have iron clad proof you were incapacitated, or you are non-complaint.

Once at the med center if you can't fill the cup within 20 minutes the questions begin and pressure to produce ratchets up. If you don't produce by the end of an hour you are non-compliant with the policy. Non-complaint is treated the same as testing positive.

Personally, I've been tested randomly 3 times in 3 months. Violation of privacy? Yes, but a condition of employment. Don't like it, go work somewhere else.

I do hope things work out for the best for Matt. This is one of those defining moments in one's life.

Having a CDL/DOT card in my pocket I have been thru this in the past w/ employers.

There are different levels on testing. If you are being tested for CDL standards than the panel test is deeper. If the test is for pre-employment in most capacities it is not that deep. The labs go off of: urine, blood, folical w/ folical giving the best results.

The amount of time drugs stay in your system is determined by your health and the amount of fatty cells you have in your body. An overweight person will not rid of drugs in his/her body as quick as say an athlete.

The stronger the drug---the faster it leaves your system w/ THC staying in your system the longest.

In most cases it is nearly impossible to test negative in 24 hours later after consuming. And urine is tested for temp and additives/tampering by most reputable agencies after the sample is collected.

Pretty hard to beat the system...

My question would be if given 24 hours per the rule book what was so important the he couldn't comply with the rules? It's like any other rule in the rule book - you break it you pay.

My .02 24 hours is way to big of a time frame or window. In corporate America you get literally minutes. Some places management actually walks you to the collection site on premises others let you drive yourself to the nearest hospital, medical center, acute care or physician that they use.

I think the act of showing up before the deadline should count.
He was there that should count for something.
Bust him 10 points and lets race !
1 year is wayyy overboard ! He was there just couldn't perform ! Jeez !

I think the act of showing up before the deadline should count.
He was there that should count for something.
Bust him 10 points and lets race !
1 year is wayyy overboard ! He was there just couldn't perform ! Jeez !

The act of showing up at the starting line doesn't count when you have 7 seconds to stage.

I'm just sayin...

My question would be if given 24 hours per the rule book what was so important the he couldn't comply with the rules? It's like any other rule in the rule book - you break it you pay.

My .02 24 hours is way to big of a time frame or window. In corporate America you get literally minutes. Some places management actually walks you to the collection site on premises others let you drive yourself to the nearest hospital, medical center, acute care or physician that they use.

I agree. Do you suppose if he was told he had a qualifying session 18 hours later at say 6:30 he would miss it? One of the drivers where my wife works was fired recently simply because his urine specimen was too cold and he could not or would not provide another sample to re-test. Even the teamsters union couldn't protect his job.

Well, I just read a story on this deal over at Bobby's site where he interviewed Hines. It sounds like he and just about the entire PSM class was summonsed this weekend to produce a sample, so Guidera's comments about there being circumstances that kept him from getting the job done are bunk. The whole damn class managed to get there, and if you read the story, some without even getting the actual paperwork!

Time to take you lumps. ;)

Sean D

I can only compare Guidera's situation to what happens when we test where I work. Its exactly the same. 24 hours to submit a sample at a specified nearby clinic.

I have never thought its unreasonable to report within 24 hours and if I don't comply, its an immediate 1 week suspension from employment. I know guys who have a dozen ways to cheat the test and in the last 6 months they have almost to a man been suspended and found themselves "in the system". You can't cheat the new tests with the freeze dried urine or whatever it is you get out of the back of high times magazine. The testing places have identified it and now it will come up as diluted.

Its my gut feeling Mr. Guidera has something to hide. I have no proof, its just a gut feeling. It happens all the time in my line of work. If he would have tested positive, he could have benefited from some kind of help. Since he chose the other route, he will now be out of racing for a year. Not a wise choice on his part.

Others may see it differently. Its a real simple process actually and i get 50 bucks from the employer for every clean test I take. Sweet, free gas!!!

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back