Strasburg suspended from nhra competition (1 Viewer)

if you call coming to the test tent(or what ever they are in) in the last 20 minutes on time.he had 24 hours.

don't forget he did come the day before, but the tent was closed. At least that shows effort on his part. Not something one would do if they had something to hide.
But you are correct, he did have 24 hours.

NHRA, in turn, did what the rule book says to do.

I have my rule book right here. All they followed with what's listed in the rulebook is the penalty process. The rule book says NOTHING on what procedures need to be passed in reguards to what exactly is needed. It should be clear and in the book.

Well, I was bored today and read this thread from start to finish. I need to get a life …..right?? :D
Anyway, I think everyone is missing the point. What is the intent of the rule? Is it to see if you can pea a certain amount in a certain time?? I don’t think so. I think the intent is to keep people under the influence from participating in this activity. If he passed the breathalyzer (sp?), test the one good specimen he turned in. If he passes …………move on. If he does not pass, then penalize him.
People get hung up on rules rather than justice. It is not that hard to do the right thing.

Registered member said:
that's correct it should be.
I also like to hear NHRA's explanation of how one driver tests dirty – gets one race suspension.
Strasburg does not test dirty – gets 22 race suspension...:confused::confused:

well, i was bored today and read this thread from start to finish. I need to get a life …..right?? :d
anyway, i think everyone is missing the point. What is the intent of the rule? Is it to see if you can pea a certain amount in a certain time?? I don’t think so. I think the intent is to keep people under the influence from participating in this activity. If he passed the breathalyzer (sp?), test the one good specimen he turned in. If he passes …………move on. If he does not pass, then penalize him.
People get hung up on rules rather than justice. It is not that hard to do the right thing.

yes, yes, yes!!!!! Common sense.

Hmmmmmm. I cannot help but wonder if this would have had the same outcome if the name would have been different. Say like John Force, Tony Schumacher or Morgan Lucas. These racers bring big money sponsers to the sport and are huge names. I would venture to say that if it were one of these fellas, that maybe they would have given a little more time or taken a blood test or hair sample. Just a thought..........

don't forget he did come the day before, but the tent was closed. At least that shows effort on his part. Not something one would do if they had something to hide.
But you are correct, he did have 24 hours.

what about the other 8 hours in that day?He said he was there???? was there anybody there to atest to that fact?All I am saying is he had ample time to give a sample.he didn`t.It`s his own fault not NHRa.

what about the other 8 hours in that day?He said he was there???? was there anybody there to atest to that fact?All I am saying is he had ample time to give a sample.he didn`t.It`s his own fault not NHRa.

okay I'll give you that, he did fail to comply with all the requirements.
But please explain why such as severe punishment. Seems like he was deemed guilty until proven innocent.
I could see a one race suspension based on his failure to comply, but 22???
Like mentioned earlier a driver that tested dirty for alcohol Park for one race.
Mike did NOT test dirty, he just did not test , and they parked him for a full year.

Paul, I'm not sure if it got into this thread or not, but from what I have read about Mike Strasburg, he is a very busy person when at the races. He is tending to customers of his transmission products as well as everything else that goes along with running a limited budget Top Fuel team. Most of his team are volunteers doing this for the love of the sport as does Mike. This just seems very punitive, especially in light of the one race suspension that Allen Johnson received last year when he tested POSITIVE. And as you may have heard, it was HOT in Vegas and the dry heat is different from some other climate zones and your body can retain more water. Having to provide two samples of whatever size they needed and both vials having to be given at the same time is just ridiculous. If that was his only violation, then I think this can be appealed and WON. This issue should be overturned by NHRA without a doubt and not make an example of Mike Strasburg. Good luck MIKE!

Last edited:
You guys want a rule bent when it suits ya ???? That shouldn't happen and won't. All the excuses and conspiracy theories don't change one fact:
That Mr. Strausburg is a GOOD person who made a BAD decision to put off the test.
It's also obvious that all the above who want a rule bent don't have to submit to drug testing where they work, otherwise it wouldn't be 9 pages deep here .
I for one think they should be testing the whole team, from the tire changer to the Crew Chief, since they have just as much responsibility to a safe run and race car.

There, flame away !!!!

okay I'll give you that, he did fail to comply with all the requirements.
But please explain why such as severe punishment. Seems like he was deemed guilty until proven innocent.
I could see a one race suspension based on his failure to comply, but 22???
Like mentioned earlier a driver that tested dirty for alcohol Park for one race.
Mike did NOT test dirty, he just did not test , and they parked him for a full year.

Paul, I whole heartedly agree with your thought. The suspension for a year should only be for blatant disregard of the rules. As someone already mentioned, if this had been John Force, would we even be having this discussion? How many on this board think that NHRA would ban John Force for a year on such a ridiculous violation?

Well I hate to speculate on "what ifs". While I have been very disappointed in the decisions NHRA has made over the past several years, I'm not sure I could accuse them of favoritism.
After all don't forget they did fine him (JF) something like $5000 for just arguing with Tony Pedrigon.....

Hmmmmmm. I cannot help but wonder if this would have had the same outcome if the name would have been different. Say like John Force, Tony Schumacher or Morgan Lucas. These racers bring big money sponsers to the sport and are huge names. I would venture to say that if it were one of these fellas, that maybe they would have given a little more time or taken a blood test or hair sample. Just a thought..........
Have they ever missed a test? Until they do this is purely hypothetical.

Well I hate to speculate on "what ifs". While I have been very disappointed in the decisions NHRA has made over the past several years, I'm not sure I could accuse them of favoritism.
After all don't forget they did fine him (JF) something like $5000 for just arguing with Tony Pedrigon.....

A fine to John Force is nothing, bet they would not sit him out of 22 races!!

A lot of people are saying:

He is under funded, give him a break.
He doesnt drink or do drugs, give him a break.
He traveled a long way, give him a break.

Riddle me this. If a 8.90 racer shows up, under funded, 4000 miles away from home, and never broke out in his life, should he get a courtesy win with a 8.89999?

Sorry man, you won with a 8.93, but this guy........

No. It won't happen.

that's correct it should be.
I also like to hear NHRA's explanation of how one driver tests dirty – gets one race suspension.
Strasburg does not test dirty – gets 22 race suspension...:confused::confused:

Let's assume that Strasburg did, in fact, miss the call... even though he showed up, pee'd the cup (one of two vials) and made an attempt. He still didn't follow the rules that everyone else is subject to. There is no excuse for being late off the line either. Doing a burnout doesn't get you the win light.

However... testing positive did result in a one race suspension for another driver last year. That was a serious penalty that arguably cost him more than one purse and Wally. Somehow the relative punishment for Strasburg in this case doesn't match the crime. Not even close. And a guy on a budget going through the appeals process with attorneys?

One race cost a driver a chance to run for the Championship. One season may cost a driver his career.

The NHRA stuck to the letter of the law on this one... I just wonder if someone doesn't need to take a better look at every letter in the law.

Jim

A lot of people are saying:

He is under funded, give him a break.
He doesnt drink or do drugs, give him a break.
He traveled a long way, give him a break.

Riddle me this. If a 8.90 racer shows up, under funded, 4000 miles away from home, and never broke out in his life, should he get a courtesy win with a 8.89999?

Sorry man, you won with a 8.93, but this guy........

No. It won't happen.

Nope, the 8.89999 doesn't deserve to win. And I am not asking for Mike "to win" in this scenario either. Mike is culpable to complete the test in the given time, and he will tell you the same. What I am saying is let's burn some calories to develop a punishment that fits the crime. He passed the breathalyzer, he completed the primary sample but not the backup sample, he went to the tent at the end of his race day and they weren't there. Mike offered hair and blood, they refused. This is not a man trying to job the system. If it is a 5 race ban, and/or a $10K fine ... I think that is plenty of deturrent for the rest of the clean guys in the sport to make sure they can fill 2 cups when they walk into the tent.

I am all for rules, but I am MUCH more for common sense.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back