Pomona attendance (1 Viewer)

Dragracer

Nitro Member
Watching Pomona on NHRA.TV today I have never seen the attendance so poor. During the fuel qualifying the stands looked like they normally do during sportsman qualifying on a thursday.

I think NHRA should either drop Friday qualifying and add a 3rd session to Saturday or drop Pomona altogether and make Vegas the starting and ending races. Socal was once big market for drag racing but not no more.

Watching Pomona on NHRA.TV today I have never seen the attendance so poor. During the fuel qualifying the stands looked like they normally do during sportsman qualifying on a thursday.
That's because everyone was at the beer stand directly in front of our trailer. It looked like everyone was having a a great time. I think tomorrow will be a lot more crowded so they had better order some more beer. You had better worry more about tuning up your slot cars because Cory Lee and I are coming to kick your azzz on Wed or Fri night.:) :D

Last edited:
Friday is always low in attendance, tomorrow will be the peak attendance.

My wife and I were there Friday and the crowd was pretty damn good considering it is SoCal and the local media has been pretty silent about the event. NHRA has to be pretty happy about the crowd.
My wife really wanted the AAA tote bag, considering she is a super loyal AAA customer, but the failed sideshow act and its operators only gave her a lame credential holder which looked lovely in the nearest trash can we could find.
BTW-3 Hot dogs on a stick and two small lemonades, $24. :oops:

Some people do have to work. And being it the end of the year, many may be out of paid off time.
If you have to figure in no pay for the day that really bumps the price of a day at the races.

BTW-3 Hot dogs on a stick and two small lemonades, $24.
Not to derail the thread but the wife and I went to the Buccaneers vs Seahawks and paid $35 for 2 hamburgers, 1 fry and 2 soft drinks. Crazy prices we pay to go to sporting events.

Not to derail the thread but the wife and I went to the Buccaneers vs Seahawks and paid $35 for 2 hamburgers, 1 fry and 2 soft drinks. Crazy prices we pay to go to sporting events.
Thats is flat out rediculous

Just a thought, most events Saturday is the day to go to for casual fans. But maybe everyone is hanging for Sunday given the amount of championships on the line. There’s a lot of people who can only afford one day at the races, and I know which day I’d be choosing!

Can’t blame the economy for attendance, or lack of sponsorships for that matter. The economy is pretty stout. But, times and demographics have certainly changed over the years. Watching on nhra.tv it seemed like a decent crowd, not a packed house but decent.

There are thousands of people who gp on Friday that could not go aby other day, I did that for years at E Town and Maplle Grove.. Thats a lot of souvenirs and 8 dollar hot dogs that would never be bought. Besides the less crowded days are the best for pit roaming, and autograph chasing .

After going to these events for 35 years, I’ve become picky. Night qualifying is the only one that does it for me. It’s cool enough that many cars will do full pulls and create great side by side racing. In Vegas for example, I think 1 FC hit 300 in Q1 and only 6 did in Q2. In summer events its tough during the day too. I’ve always gone all weekend to multiple events but now finals only. It’s just boring to watch cars go up in smoke and shake. Q4s are often good as teams figure it out and late afternoon comes around around.

After going to these events for 35 years, I’ve become picky. Night qualifying is the only one that does it for me. It’s cool enough that many cars will do full pulls and create great side by side racing. In Vegas for example, I think 1 FC hit 300 in Q1 and only 6 did in Q2. In summer events its tough during the day too. I’ve always gone all weekend to multiple events but now finals only. It’s just boring to watch cars go up in smoke and shake. Q4s are often good as teams figure it out and late afternoon comes around around.
good post dan . thats why i quit goen 8 yrs ago. u sit all day n the hot sun with car after car after car goen up n smoke. rather just goen at nite , i quit all together .. atleast tafc/tad ,usually ,make full pulls , love watch n them ..

My wife and I were there Friday and the crowd was pretty damn good considering it is SoCal and the local media has been pretty silent about the event. NHRA has to be pretty happy about the crowd.
My wife really wanted the AAA tote bag, considering she is a super loyal AAA customer, but the failed sideshow act and its operators only gave her a lame credential holder which looked lovely in the nearest trash can we could find.
BTW-3 Hot dogs on a stick and two small lemonades, $24. :oops:
I almost bought a hot dog at the Pinks hot dog booth today but I decided that I wasn't hungry enough to pay $15.00 for 1 hot dog...but tomorrow I may give in because damn they smell good. :)

Last edited:
I almost bought a hot dog at the Pinks hot dog booth today but I decided that I wasn't hungry enough to pay $15.00 for 1 hot dog...but tomorrow I may give in because damn they smelled good. :)
You gonna let 'em take your picture, Eugene? Pink's puts pictures of celebrities and famous people up on their wall. You'll be right next to Clint Eastwood, David Hasselhoff, Kim Kardashian, Shania Twain, and Gary Scelzi.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back