las Vegas (1 Viewer)

Half the people that come up here to Willow for the drag races are young people racing everything from ricers to Vettes. Motorcycle drag racing is almost all young people.

It would seem impossible to attract new blood in modern drag racing. Famosa had a test and tune last week. $100 for a tech card. Probably get 3 runs for that? Not going to happen. They still want to do it, that is why that street race TV show is so popular.

Willow is $15.00 to race all evening.

Jay, you stuff about Bakersfield is not correct. Here a event just like you are talking about and its $40.

TREET TUNER Cars & Bikes - Street Legal
April 25 & May 9

aaa_rnd.png
Street Tuner Cars and Bikes is a day dedicated to the tuner car or bike racer. This is your day street racers! Come out and experience a day all for you. The day is reserved for street tuner cars or bikes only. No bracket cars, just street scene only.

Hey, want to challenge your buddy? This is your chance. Want to run 1/4 mile or 1/8 mile?. Make a pass without the scoreboards on? This is when you do it. Wager runs, grudge runs or time only runs. It's all up yo you.

Bracket style drag cars not allowed, this is for street tuners only.

Want to call someone out over the PA System? Bring it!

Imports or Domestics it doesn't matter.

Car clubs here is your chance to have an affordable club day.

We welcome your feedback and suggestions. We want to build an entire day dedicated to Tuner cars and Bikes.

Gates open at 8am
Track Time is 10am to 5pm
Cost is $40.00 to race or $20.00 to spectate for ages 13 and up.
12 and under are free with paid adult.

Mike;
It was on the Famosa website. We were going to go and when we saw the $100 tech card, we cancelled the room and didn't go. I have personally gone up there and paid $50 to run my car. Waited in the lanes 4 1/2 hours, finally got to make a run. Back in line for another 4 1/2 hours. I eventually left with my $50 time ticket. You simply can not introduce new people to that kind of stuff.

Here is what was posted on the Famosa website for last weekend:

Gates open Saturday at 7am
Gates open Sunday at 8am

Racers, Crew and Spectators will pay weekend gate admission fee of $35 on Friday or Saturday for the weekend.
Sunday gate admission is $20 for Racers, Crew or Spectators.

Tech cards will be on sale Saturday morning in control tower. Tech cards for all classes are $100 for the weekend.

100% of tech card fees collected for Summit classes will go to purse. Example, if 50 cars enter pro, then $5,000 will be divided and paid out over two days for Pro.

Sunday Tech cards are $60.

There is no guaranteed purse. Purse will be determined by car count. Remember, 100% of tech card fees collected for each class will be paid out for that class.

Test and tune participants on Friday or Saturday will pay $35 gate admission fee plus $100 tech card fee in tower. If you enter on Friday or Saturday you are paid for the weekend.

Sunday Test and Tune participants will pay $20 gate fee and $60 tech card fee in tower.

Last edited:
Thats not a regular test and tune weekend. I worked the 1st one of these back in february and you could have run you car out of gas making runs. Sorry you picked the wrong weekend to go.

BIR charges $180 for Fri-Sun, not including a Zoo pass? Holy shit....

Yep, $180 is what it is per ticket for the ticket renewal (admission PLUS reserved seat) I just let lapse on Wednesday. If one waits until about a month before the race, the prices go up a bit more. If you wanna camp in the zoo Thurs-Sun, add in another $85. Plus, there's an additional fee for what you bring in to the zoo, like an RV pass, according to my renewal, costs an additional $45. Bring in your own ATV or golf cart, that's another $70.

It would seem impossible to attract new blood in modern drag racing. Famosa had a test and tune last week. $100 for a tech card. Probably get 3 runs for that? Not going to happen. They still want to do it, that is why that street race TV show is so popular.

THIS. The kids want to play with their toys. At the drift events I work, we get 60 cars plus (sometimes as many as 100) at $135 each and they can get all of the track time they want. They are truly only limited by how many tires they brought with them. These kids have an interest in cars and performance, but they have no interest in sitting in hours long run lines and being treated by second class citizens while they are at the strip, while only maybe getting 1 minute total of seat time. It just isn't fun to them.

There is a NHRA Regional event this weekend at LVMS and a VegasDrift practice event Sunday at the road course at LVMS. Care to wager which event will have a bigger gate? There will be 5 or 6 times as many cars in the Regional than the Drift, care to wager which event will have more drivers under 30? The NHRA is not even on these kids radar and it makes me sad ...

I think one of the main things is, as has been posted, 2 events at the same track is just too dilutive. IMO the big show isn't dead, but it needs overhauling. I think this Vegas1 race was the first one this year with such a weak spectator count. I'd get rid of it, but maybe it still makes money? I don't know the answer to that. I just really try to enjoy the racing and not stress over how full the stands are as if I owned thd place...

What do you want a race where it is packed and you wait for everything or two races and you have a little room to roam? No big deal but I have been to every Vegas race but the first one. This race probably had the lowest attendance of all of them but that is a big place and I think NHRA made a profit there. Is the show in trouble probably, I have a grandson we raised and I have had drag race cars the whole time and he went to every race with us, his car is a civic and he goes to Honda meets and probably could care less about drag racing because his friends like the front wheel cars and watching people Drifting. NHRA had import drags and I guess it didn't take off but some day our beloved drag racing is going to be a lot smaller just like the last crowd at Vegas, oh by the way I had a great time at Vegas on both Strips.

Nick, what was Real cars about them in 1998 that isn't now? I think most people claim the sport does nothing for them anymore are simply Burned out IMO! As for comparing NHRA to Monster Jam, you think turning NHRA into a staged show like WWE is the ticket?

Let me clarify what I mean about real, and you are right, they weren't really real back then either.

If you take a modern drag car (and one from 1998 I suppose too, but to a lesser extent) and take if off the ultra prepared drag track (traction compound, completely flat etc.), the car wouldn't go an inch without blowing the tires off, blowing the engine and being dead in the water. And unless you have a rocket scientist analyzing a million data points, a crew of 5 with college degrees to put the thing together, have a parts inventory the size of Texas, and a budget the size of a small country - you can forget about making a pass let alone being competitive. Its like a fantasy league.

in 1998, 1995... whenever I was younger, the engines were relatively plain. When the wraps were off the engine, you could see the shiny aluminum block, supercharger & blower. You could see a throttle cable hooked up to the butterflies and understand what it was. You could see the twin magnetos and spark plug wires. You could see the bell housing and understand what it was, how it worked, and what it did. It was all relatively simple and understandable. The engines now, so many cables, so many hoses, so many materials. I dunno, I guess the nostalgia in me likes the look of the engines back in mid 90's, short, fat stalky, badass, and they even grunt in the pits when they warmup, and they sure did grunt all the way down the track, for an entire 5.5 seconds. Purely my opinion though. I can see someone from the 60's feeling similar about what they saw back then.

NHRA into Monster Jam. Perhaps not my cup of tea, but then again the product now is similar in that the person with the most money is going to win. And one could probably argue that the NHRA stages things in favor of the multi car big budget teams because they are the ones that bring in the revenue because without them they have nothing. Even if the NHRA monster jam didn't interest me, well... the current show doesn't interest me either, so I'm indifferent. But look at it from a business perspective and you tell me what you would do.

The main reason Vegas has two races is because of Summitracing.com. In 2000, after the first event, NHRA wanted to move the event to October. Summit said no! As a sponsor they wanted to have a spring event because that is when they do a large percentage of their sales. NHRA then added a second event for Vegas in 2001. Summit has been sponsoring the April race for 16 years and as long as they want to sponsor it, I'm sure it will remain on the schedule. The fall event has struggled to find a title sponsor from year to year. I've been to every Vegas national event and this year was by far the lightest crowd. The Vegas races seems to rely on out of state visitors to be successful. We have sat in the same section for the last decade and almost everyone we talk to is from California, mid west, East Coast and Canada. I find very few locals in our section. The travel costs seemed a little higher this April than previous years. This is the most I have ever paid for a hotel in Las Vegas. There was cheaper options but I'm sure they were more than in years past. Even though it isn't good for NHRA, I actually enjoy the race more when it isn't as crowded. I didn't have anyone squeezing me out of my seat all weekend long and the traffic getting out moved quickly.

I went to Vegas for the first time to see something other than Pomona. I went with a friend for all 3 days and we discussed the attendance each day. I would say without any earlier experiences that the attendance was light. My buddy said it's because of the size of the grandstand there. I disagreed with him because I think Pomona has just as many seats if not more. I've read before that Pomona holds 45,000 people. Does anyone know if that is accurate? What is the capacity of The Strip at LVMS?

nunz, i think i read that too....one of race wrap-up articles on another website.
vegas had racers but no spectators; now it looks like
houston may be struggling with racers due to wet pits (again), evidently racers have
till thursday to withdraw if they would like due
to soft conditions....chance of rain everyday of event....fighting an uphill battle.
http://competitionplus.com/drag-rac...oggy-pits-and-questionable-weather-in-houston
http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/l/Houston+TX+USTX0617:1:US

in defense of las vegas having two events; the weather is most likely more favorable for 4 dry
days there than anywhere else on the tour?....maybe pomona, sonoma and phoenix running a
close second for consistent dry weather?

Last edited:
Uh...I've been rained out at the Winternationals in Ponoma about as much as not. Seems like rain almost every year.

I have been to the Winternationals and sat in the camper and watched it rain all weekend, never seeing one car go down the track. There have been several other occasions where we lose 1 day, and even still more occasions when we lose at least 1 session. But when the weather is good ... man is it good!

I

I thought the Lucas Oil Series runs 1000' for the Capsule boats? Was this a 1000' pass??

http://www.lucasoildragboats.com/about/the-boats

this clip below has a little more info on the run

yup. 1000' at Parker's National Event (they hosted a Divisional meet two months before the National event)

Alky Flats and Hydros as well as the Nitro Class go 1000'

In 2016 all classes will race 1000'

The whole Spirit of Texas gang is the nicest bunch of folks (the whole pit area is pretty damn nice actually). Very happy for the fan interest. Can't tell you how many times they've (drag boat folks) seen me with a camera and stepped out of the way so I could shoot a close up of their babies.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Spirit-of-Texas-TFH/218320189197

Of course, Alan Reinhart could chyme in and tell you all about it. He knows a LOT about both fluid and asphalt drags. I still love the drag boat programs on TV. Good stuff.

Last edited:
Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back