Vegas attendance (1 Viewer)

Sorry, but I wouldn't go out of my way to go to a Nostalgia race. I go to multiple National Events a year and fly to many of them just for the fan experience you outlined as the less desirable.

Its more fun than you think. March Meet, Bakersfield can bring in more than 30 Funny Cars, and I forget how many Dragsters working hard to get in the 16 car field. Makes for a LOT of Nitro qualifying passes than seem to go on for hours late into a Saturday Night.
They wing it and drive through anything to make it in.
Its a blast to witness. I go out of my way sometimes.

Its more fun than you think. March Meet, Bakersfield can bring in more than 30 Funny Cars, and I forget how many Dragsters working hard to get in the 16 car field. Makes for a LOT of Nitro qualifying passes than seem to go on for hours late into a Saturday Night.
They wing it and drive through anything to make it in.
Its a blast to witness. I go out of my way sometimes.

Yeah they get the FC's that's for sure, but there is such a performance disparity! But the TF Dragsters seem to be dying, I don't they even had 16 at the MM!

When the nostalgia thing got going about 10-15 years ago, many racers were doing this for no other reason than for fun and the love of the sport. Recently, for the Top Fuel guys it's about more this, more that, and change this and change that. The fun is gone.

Ever since NHRA has gotten involve, the costs has gone up significantly and the fun factor is going a way. There are other reasons why there is a decline in Top Fuelers, but that's one of the main reasons.

Like every thing that lives, eventually it dies.

Many of the fans today, what's left of them, have never been to a race with 100 funnycars trying to get into a 64 car show. They have no idea what an all nitro drag race is.

Todays big show racers are a very watered down version of when it was really great. That is why there is absolutely nothing to attract new fans to the sport.

With the possible exception of ADRL.

Many of the fans today, what's left of them, have never been to a race with 100 funnycars trying to get into a 64 car show. They have no idea what an all nitro drag race is.

Todays big show racers are a very watered down version of when it was really great. That is why there is absolutely nothing to attract new fans to the sport.

Jay's right, NHRA just might file Chapter 11 sometime this year!

Agree 100%... oh, and we didn't call them 'big show' cars, heck, in '69, M/T's 'stang was in super eleminator at points meet and the world finals... and the mini chargers were illeagal at national events, so Mr. Norm painted a cuda grill on the car at Indy... A/FX, no S/XS, no AA/FC... FUNNY's FOREVER !!!! (everything else is just filler):p:D

d'kid

You really think 1/8 mile racing, with seemingly 10 classes of the same car type and no nitro is the future?

With all due respect Jay, I hope you are wrong. I like the ADRL, and I do hope they stick around the drag racing landscape, I just sincerely hope that all drag racing doesn't move to that model.

Last edited:
Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back