The Monday Evening Attendance Discussion (1 Viewer)

rocketman

Nitro Member
I admit that I didn't see the race. Wasn't there and didn't see it on TV. But as a concerned NHRA supporter for over 30 years, I couldn't help but notice a lot of empty seats in Charlotte when looking at video on facebook when the funny cars were running! I know some races do better than others but when you have a partly to half empty stadium whether it's racing or ball sports it's time for the promoters to prevent it from happening the next time. It's time to either lower the price per seat or come up with a darn good promotion.

Last edited:
Charlotte never pulls a big crowd for both of its races. One is usually strong, the 4-wides, the second weak. The NHRA schedule is probably several races too many, and certainly doesn't need 2 at any given track. IMO

Other than Pomona I think you are right. But if you are going to have a race do what you have to do to fill the stands.

I'd like to see a hard count of the number of seats at each national event host track. The grandstands at Charlotte are HUGE! More seats than any other track I've been to...more than Norwalk...more than Chicago...way more than some others...

I'd like to see a hard count of the number of seats at each national event host track. The grandstands at Charlotte are HUGE! More seats than any other track I've been to...more than Norwalk...more than Chicago...way more than some others...

I was told by someone that should know that the main grandstand at Vegas is 16,000 seats.

The grandstands on both sides of zMax holds 30,000 total. That does not include the suites above the main grandstands.

It was oppressively hot the whole weekend, hotter than any other race I've been to at Charlotte, Bristol or Atlanta, so that hurt them too. It was the first time I can remember going to a race and watching the finish line from under the stands to "recover" from the heat. We skipped staying for the winners circle photo session, drivers intro and track walk for this very reason.

Not to mention a Panthers home game in town, a Joan Jett concert Friday night, etc. The motels were full.

Weather: I thought I was hotter for first round, then the clouds rolled in and it was no problem. Locally Charlotte promotes 4Wide like crazy. FM and AM radio stations galore. Fall = much less. Speaking of marketing, as a fan I am dumbfounded that the marketing team at Zmax chose again to put one of the middle of the pack drivers on billboards all over the city. Courtney Force. I'm big on rewarding performance not faces. Yes there was a football game and for those who didn't go to the game they probably easily chose to watch over attending. The Panthers fan base continues to ebb and flow with success or defeat. It's go time for them now in Charlotte, a city that only loves front runners. CLT Motor Speedway itself has the Cup race, World Dirt Finals, The AutoFair, and probably a Monster Truck Show upcoming. Lot going on.

Maybe 10 -15 total watching a fuel car warmup.

You know who you can go to a race event and say "That guys a diehard fan."? I got the sense there weren't a lot of the diehards there, or considerably less than usual.

I personally had THE best time I ever have had at a NHRA National Event. Except for the results. Ha.

nhra has sum really nice venues; doesn't seem to make a difference with attendance. stumbled across this the other day. here is a dad/son and friends recording their day @ zmax 4wides earlier this year. they had so much fun they state they can't wait to come back in september......pretty cool video.....it doesn't appear that these folks are hardcore fans, but they sure had a great time.

Could be a visual thing as both Chicago and Norwalk are billed at 30,000 seating capacity - the same as Charlotte.

And Chicago is another track that has perpetually empty seats. At least Bruton was smart enough to paint those seats so that in the pictures they actually look full! Look at the Google satellite image of Charlotte for proof.

I admit that I didn't see the race. Wasn't there and didn't see it on TV. But as a concerned NHRA supporter for over 30 years, I couldn't help but notice a lot of empty seats in Charlotte when looking at video on facebook when the funny cars were running! I know some races do better than others but when you have a partly to half empty stadium whether it's racing or ball sports it's time for the promoters to prevent it from happening the next time. It's time to either lower the price per seat or come up with a darn good promotion.
Well, knowone is lowering ticket prices...

The grandstands on both sides of zMax holds 30,000 total. That does not include the suites above the main grandstands.
Bandimere claims it seats 28,500. Does anyone think the difference between the two is only 1,500 seats?

That's why I would like to see an actual hard count of seating at every national event venue.

if zmax holds 30, i'd guess a few others do too.....chicago, gainesville, indy, pomona, vegas, norwalk maybe.
i'd guess all the others hover between 20 and 25. for as large a main bleachers as BIR has (compare to pitside bandimere),
BIR i'm pretty sure only seats a tick over 20.

Let's just say that I had a few minutes on my hands this evening. I went to the Ticketmaster site where you can choose your seat using the map and counted the number of seats for each section at zMax. You want an accurate count, here it is (excluding the suites). The total is 27,243 seats. I may do Gainesville if I have some time later :D

zMax Dragway Capacity.png

Thanks for the research.
It could get even more technical being, Price out the seats,
Reserved, General admission and get a total revenue of what is taken in thru seat purchases and try to factor in the amount of additional money that each one spends.

Now they claim that there were 3 times this year that they claim that it was a sold out show meaning that all of the seats were accounted for not including standing room. How much more $$ are we talking about. Those #'s are gonna be hard to figure out unless you do aerial survey assessment meaning, how many estimated people fit in a given space (standing wise). But that would be going overboard.

All that said nobody marketing a race of that stature should be content with a lot of empty seats. It's going to happen sometimes but it's better to ask for a little less and get more new fans like that father and son posted above.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back