Vegas attendance (1 Viewer)

?...
Vegas 2 is better attended because it is the 2nd to last race of the season and is an easy sell for the fans traveling in for the race. Many guys back east and up north have wound down their racing season or enough time has passed since their local national event that it becomes viable to attend, the weather is usually good and there is PLENTY to keep the wife busy while he is at the track with the boys. If she comes along, Vegas is the best track amenity-wise (as has been discussed) that you won't have to worry or apologize or explain to the wife about concessions, restrooms, seating, parking etc.

It is not just drag racing ... The locals are apathetic about NASCAR too, people are not coming in for that race anymore like the past either. LVMS is desperate to move that race to the Chase, preferably taking Homestead's date as the season-ender to bundle it with the awards ceremony to pump up attendance for that race too.

EDIT: It will be interesting this year as Vegas 2 is October 24-27, Nevada day is Halloween. We shall see if there is an impact attendance-wise. I say there will be no discernible difference and the place will be packed as per usual. I can tell you for sure there will be 1 more person in attendance ... ME!!! :D

I have to agree with you, Chris. I'm from PA and I took last year off from Vegas2 after attending the previous 2 and I missed it! So much so that DH and I are coming back. I guess I'm the oddball wife that wants to go to the track and spend all day there :D. No shopping for me. I love the smell of nitro! We buy reserved seats and then add on the hospitality package. I don't care to be up in the upper deck seats where the poles can block your sight lines but enjoy the food, beverages and a seat in the tent if I prefer.

Jon I read your report over at CompPlus. You talked of a couple newbies who were there and became hooked, and couldn't believe the difference to NASCAR. Obviously the sport has plenty to offer and can certainly attract new fans that will keep coming back. That's where marketing comes in.

To the guys who want to mandate throttle whacks during warm-ups, why stop there? How about mandatory half-track burnouts and dry-hops? :D

Yeah it's a show, but these are race teams looking to maximize performance, I think it would be tough to have tuners "tune" in a way that's the most entertaining.

Finally, I watch on TV, but to me, drag racing stinks on television. Other than slow-mows and replays, there's no comparison to being there. The fuel cars are so fast, and the runs are so quick, it cannot be appreciated on TV. At least, IMO.

It will be interesting this year as Vegas 2 is October 24-27, Nevada day is Halloween. We shall see if there is an impact attendance-wise. I say there will be no discernible difference and the place will be packed as per usual.

I think V2's attendance is much more effected by SEMA than Nevada Day or Halloween. I can't tell you the number of people I have met at the race who have come from far and wide (esp. overseas) to SEMA and decided to catch the race. And this year's SEMA is a full week after the race. We shall see...

You qualified to tell a crew chief how to set up his car?

That's not the point and you know it. :p

I AM fully qualified to be a long time (Early 60s) hard core fan, and I LOVE throttle whacks! That should be good enough a reason dadgummit! :D

And yes, dry hops. We need those back as well. :)

Last edited:
I think V2's attendance is much more effected by SEMA than Nevada Day or Halloween. I can't tell you the number of people I have met at the race who have come from far and wide (esp. overseas) to SEMA and decided to catch the race. And this year's SEMA is a full week after the race. We shall see...

I would almost guess that Halloween hurts attendance to Vegas 2 on it's usual date. Halloween is very big holiday with the locals, there were always several costume parties I missed every year with friends and coworkers ... And it is ALWAYS fun to people watch on the Strip or downtown under the canopy on Halloween weekend.

I would almost guess that Halloween hurts attendance to Vegas 2 on it's usual date. Halloween is very big holiday with the locals, there were always several costume parties I missed every year with friends and coworkers ... And it is ALWAYS fun to people watch on the Strip or downtown under the canopy on Halloween weekend.

I always came to V2 because of Halloween. Would get a seat at the blackjack tables right outside the nightclub at Caesars that held the $10k to win costume contest, order in a nice glass of scotch and spend the night playing and watching the idiots roll in. ;)

I always came to V2 because of Halloween. Would get a seat at the blackjack tables right outside the nightclub at Caesars that held the $10k to win costume contest, order in a nice glass of scotch and spend the night playing and watching the idiots roll in. ;)

That does sound like fun. I meant that Halloween hurt the attendance with locals ... Sounds like it is a bonus for the visiting fans which comprise the majority of the crowd for Vegas 2.

There are several high dollar costume contests around town that attract adult entertainers ... The general rule is skin to win and they really want to win LOL.

As far as attendance goes the place wasn't exactly empty. I beleive NHRA made profit oh wait a minute NHRA is a non profit. What ticks me off is hardly anyone seats the clutch with the throttle anymore during warm ups. I know it is a tunning choice but I beleive it brought young fans in. After a double whap the fans would whoop it up pretty good now everone just walks away. ain't going to change but it should be a rule to seat the clutch with the throttle and crew cheifs could just figure it out.

Yes. I agree

Are you guys the same people who go to NASCAR races to see the wrecks? You are going to tell the crew chief how how to prepare for a race? Seems ridiculous. Why don't you steal something else from reality TV and put a secret ingredient in the fuel?

I can see not allowing curtains in the pro-stock pits, but that is about as far as I can take that kind of suggestion.

start motor, long burnout, cackling car backing up, dry hop, dry hop start,
backup, dry hop, dry hop, stage, race 6 sec. to 1320'

start motor, short burnout, backup, stage, race 4 sec. to 1000'

fan experience....which would you rather see?
not saying it's coming back, just saying it was there and it was great

Well NHRA better Figure something out cause us old coots are going to die off and I don't see younger fans flocking to the gates. What do wrecks have to do with a couple of waps of the throttle during a warm up that from my 50 years of experience was a crowd pleaser I think we said it wasn't coming back in our posts and one of these days NHRA isn't coming back either.

backup, Dryden's hop, dry hop, stage, race 6 sec. to 1320'

I was watching some old stuff on youtube and was thinking the same thing...they used to feel like wild beasts being barely contained, but with the modern cars (while being amazingly sophisticated) they appear more like pampered actors being prepared for the stage or something...

I was watching some old stuff on youtube and was thinking the same thing...they used to feel like wild beasts being barely contained, but with the modern cars (while being amazingly sophisticated) they appear more like pampered actors being prepared for the stage or something...

Well said.

Compare the crowds at Natl. events vs the March meet or the CHRR! I love watching the Nostalgia cars as much as anybody, but to compare the adrenaline rush, they ain't in the same Timezone IMO!

Sorry, but I wouldn't go out of my way to go to a Nostalgia race. I go to multiple National Events a year and fly to many of them just for the fan experience you outlined as the less desirable.

Sorry, but I wouldn't go out of my way to go to a Nostalgia race. I go to multiple National Events a year and fly to many of them just for the fan experience you outlined as the less desirable.

i am not suggesting that present nhra big shows
are not entertaining, or visceral, or that nostalgia events are better.
i am comparing the theater of national event pro dragster and funny car
on track then and now and arguing the later was better entertainment
....that's all. some may prefer today's presentation.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back