Light Attendance, it looked Like ? (1 Viewer)

It looked like the last section of stands on the pit side had a huge tarp covering it on Sunday. Push all the folks into less space so it looks better on TV?
How dumb do they think we are?

It looked like the last section of stands on the pit side had a huge tarp covering it on Sunday. Push all the folks into less space so it looks better on TV?

The Stands in Pomona go all the way to the 1320! If your running 1000' I doubt many would want to sit there anyway!

Rich, it is not nearly that sinister... the last grandstand is no longer used since it sits directly under the approach to Bracket Field airport and is past 1,000 feet. That grandstand has not been used for a couple of years, if you include that grandstand Pomona holds around 40,000.

By not using that grandstand, it does not indicate the end of drag racing as we know it.

The Stands in Pomona go all the way to the 1320! If your running 1000' I doubt many would want to sit there anyway!

I used to like too....there's not much better than a good top end charge...doesn't happen much anymore :(

but ya, the Saturday forecast looked pretty grim, fortunately it didn't turn out too bad, but I'm sure that didn't help the attendance numbers...Pomona (AKA a giant parking lot) is a pretty unpleasant place on a cold wet day

The people in Ca. are "NOT" real drag racing fans like in NY. NJ. hell Raceway Park packs them in for any big event.. even a divisional race has more spectators than a National event in Ca.

Your absolutely right. People here in Caalifornia aren't real fans. Or in other words, we're doers not watchers. We do things with our own cars to get ready to go racing. Watchers go to get autographs, buy t-shirts, take pictures, pretend their freinds with the drivers, buy plastic replicas, become brand loyal, complain on chatrooms, etc.

Your right I didn't go because I'm not a fan. But we did get closer to getting a car ready to race. Therefore, I consider myself a racer.

Every drag strip is an unpleasant place on a cold wet day, some of us stay there on those days to see new National Records set.

some are a lot better than others...I never seemed to mind the rain at OCIR (other than the parking lot) or Famosa...but Pomona can be just plain miserable when it's real wet and the wind gets up...

and forgive me if I can't get too worked up over 1000' records

The people in Ca. are "NOT" real drag racing fans like in NY. NJ. hell Raceway Park packs them in for any big event.. even a divisional race has more spectators than a National event in Ca.
C'mon john. SoCal is the birthplace of drag racing.
We had some cold and sh!tty weather. SoCal people don't know how to deal with that.
I'm fighting a cold
sick.gif
sneeze.gif
so I didn't go sit in the low 50's air. Normally, it is packed every February and November. Sonoma has been selling completely out the past few years.

Our government (FAA) has deemed that sitting in those stands is unsafe for us because it is in the flight path of Brackett airfield next door. So they closed them.

Are you saying you didn't go at all Paul? If so that sucks brother, always like seeing your photos. Get well.

some are a lot better than others...I never seemed to mind the rain at OCIR (other than the parking lot) or Famosa...but Pomona can be just plain miserable when it's real wet and the wind gets up...

and forgive me if I can't get too worked up over 1000' records

I was there in 1983 when it was like 40 degrees out. Froze to death, left before the finals.

almost no crowd either, rained on and off nearly all weekend.

Was my 1st National event to boot....rode my motorcycle out the from Ct to attend........

yeah, i'm DAYMNED crazy!!!!:eek::D

REX

.........Our government (FAA) has deemed that sitting in those stands is unsafe for us because it is in the flight path of Brackett airfield next door. So they closed them.

but it's ok if a plane unable to make runway crashes into racers/haulers
in pits and/or dragstrip...... :eek:

sorry to hear you couldn't make it paul - always enjoy your pics too.

I was there in 1983 when it was like 40 degrees out. Froze to death, left before the finals.

almost no crowd either, rained on and off nearly all weekend.

OMG, Rex, don't mention that to the ones with the glowing memory of long gone SoCal dragstrips... It never rains in California, but girl, don't they warn ya?

Selective memory is a terrible thing to loose.

OMG, Rex, don't mention that to the ones with the glowing memory of long gone SoCal dragstrips... It never rains in California, but girl, don't they warn ya?

Selective memory is a terrible thing to loose.

At risk of sounding like a TERRIBLE Billy Joel song:

"The good old days weren't always good and tomorrow ain't as bad as it seems."

Your absolutely right. People here in Caalifornia aren't real fans. Or in other words, we're doers not watchers. We do things with our own cars to get ready to go racing. Watchers go to get autographs, buy t-shirts, take pictures, pretend their freinds with the drivers, buy plastic replicas, become brand loyal, complain on chatrooms, etc.

Your right I didn't go because I'm not a fan. But we did get closer to getting a car ready to race. Therefore, I consider myself a racer.

I would like to take an opportunity to appaulogize for affending anyone. This was a situation of "I read, I responded" without thinking of some of the other people here on this board.

I think that anyone who would take the time to come here and present their opinions are very much like myself by having a passion for the sport. And while I don't consider myself a fan of any particular person in drag racing, I am a fan of the the sport itself and enjoy those whom I come in contact with. Whether it is a someone out for the day of enjoyment, a fellow competitor, or someone who has made drag racing their career.

I honestly feel that no matter what happens in our sport, drag racing will go on. Even if it regresses back to the days of old airport runways and flag starts.

The Show last weekend was terrible. There was soo many oil downs. We spent soo much time watching tractors go up and down the track, I thought we were at the sand drags

The Show last weekend was terrible. There was soo many oil downs. We spent soo much time watching tractors go up and down the track, I thought we were at the sand drags

Maple Grove 1985 comes to mind.

I was there

Mineshaft air, and sticky track, and beaucoup horsepower.

Might as well have pulled the pin on the launch.

Left the crewchiefs baffled.

stuff happens........

REX

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back