Light Attendance, it looked Like ? (1 Viewer)

jpee

Nitro Member
I'm watching the qualifying now, and damn the stands look like it was a "go cart race", less than 1/2 full !! ...

We get better attendance at Englishtown NJ on a normal Sundy...

I'm wondering if tomorrow will bring out more spectators... ??

Also could someone clue me in on Austin Coil and JF splitting up... I must be living in a cave, this was the first I've heard of it .. tonight on TV Thanks for any info...

Yea ill say,wish it was like that at the aces i go to,its always crowded lol.

The NWS predicted a total Saturday rainout just a few hours before and it was downright COLD at the track. Neither conducive to high attendance. Fortunately the weather service was a bit off.

The jury is still out on exactly why Austin Coil left JFR. He isn't talking. Speculation is Coil wasn't pleased with the across-the-board pay cuts and, quote, "having to listen to someone tell me 'how it is' every day". The day after the Championship banquet back in November, he walked out.

John Force has had nothing but praise for his former crew chief since the incident.

I'm thinking the hail storm in the morning would keep most smart people from blowing money on a possible rain out....

WHAT did you expect John???? There was Hail and snow in some parts of So Cal early today....

People didn't come out today because of weather.... PERIOD. Wasn't the ECONOMY, Wasn't the allure of Drag Racing or lack of PR on NHRA's Part, or us competing against NASCAR in Phoenix....

The weather sucked early today. People saw this. Said..."NO RACING TODAY" and stayed home.

:mad:grrrrrrr:mad:
weather forecast said Saturday would be a total washout and would be the worst of all the days. That's why I stayed home.

One of the National Dragster persons doing the nhrainter@ctive chat said Medlen invited Coil to hang out in the DSR pit this weekend. :eek:

weather forecast said Saturday would be a total washout and would be the worst of all the days. That's why I stayed home.

One of the National Dragster persons doing the nhrainter@ctive chat said Medlen invited Coil to hang out in the DSR pit this weekend. :eek:

But was he there?

From the time I left the motel till 11 AM I counted 4 times it went from Sunny to Rain/ Hail! If anybody told me they would get 2 Nitro sessions in, I would have made a $200 bet! But man was it cold! When the sun was out it was bearable, but once it went in the clouds the Temperture would drop like 10 degrees! I have never seen it that Cold there!

Scientists are now saying global warming is responsible for record-breaking winter events, such as the -31 degree temperature in Nowata, OK one month ago, the largest winter storm in recorded history, one that spanned over 2,000 miles and obliterated the midwest and northeast, and the current 30-something temperatures seen in southern California.

Back to the track. I'll bet you those stands will be mostly full today. Should be record runs a-plenty.

Scientists are now saying global warming is responsible for record-breaking winter events, such as the -31 degree temperature in Nowata, OK one month ago, the largest winter storm in recorded history, one that spanned over 2,000 miles and obliterated the midwest and northeast, and the current 30-something temperatures seen in southern California.

Back to the track. I'll bet you those stands will be mostly full today. Should be record runs a-plenty.

Just to add to the speculation it was about 100 degress warmer just a few days later in that area. But that's Oklahoma weather and Okies expect those kinds of swings. Started one morning playing golf in a sweater at the turn bought a Tshirt because it was to hot in the sweater. Glad I did because by the 16th hole I had both on and it snowed before we left the club house.

I don't really see how one can blame the weather for the lack of attendance. Are people really in denial about how or why (apparently) attendance so low?

Not saying weather was not a factor, but it seems like there has been alot of discussion over the past year blaming the weather.

I haven't been into it since the beginning, only since the mid 90's, but we've driven 3 hours to Columbus knowing there was a 50/50 chance of rain... and I think the first 2 or 3 years we went there half the sessions got rained out. But the stands were always PACKED, standing room only, 3 deep at the fence. And this was Columbus, not Indy, or Pomona, or Gainesville.

Here it was the Winternationals, first race of the year, in Southern California.. I watched about 10 mins of the qualifying last night, and the stands looked bare. It's just the state of the NHRA, whether its due to the lack of entertainment, lack of racer diversity (not really ford / chev / dodge etch), lack of.. whatever, the net result is very low turnout.

Go to youtube and check out a few random races from the mid 90's, stands are usually packed. The weather was the same back then too.

YouTube - 1995 NHRA Winternationals; Part 1

People are wimpier now, Nick.... Cold sucks! Good thing it was almost perfect all day and only got cold for the finals... Jet dryers running now to warm up the track for TAD and TAFC

Nice sunny skies today, and the stands are practically empty.

The people in Ca. are "NOT" real drag racing fans like in NY. NJ. hell Raceway Park packs them in for any big event.. even a divisional race has more spectators than a National event in Ca.

The people in Ca. are "NOT" real drag racing fans like in NY. NJ. hell Raceway Park packs them in for any big event.. even a divisional race has more spectators than a National event in Ca.

Hmmm....Seems to me I remember going to E-Town in '03 when the entire weekend was marred by Rain and Cold! And yes the crowds sucked! The weather killed this weekend for the most part! But either way to some, if the stands don't look Packed at all hours of the Telecast no matter what class is running, then the crowds sucked!

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back