How many weeknights in the shop for you? (1 Viewer)

Nitro Member
:D
Just wondering how many nights a week you guys spend in the garage/shop working on the race car or the equipment.
(after 7 pm) ...and how late do you guys stay up?
I know I'm not the only one.

:D

Being a shop owner, I'd like to spend more time working on race cars after hours. But, 70 hours/week makes it harder to stay in the shop to work on your own stuff sometimes.

Paul we have "Racecar Night" every Wed. The whole team comes over for dinner, then we work on the car until we have it serviced or it gets too late whichever is first. Usually 11:00PM or so.

On Mondays after a weekend I go over and unload the car, drain the fuel tank and service the fuel system. The car owner and I usually will leak it on this night also, so we know what if anything needs done on Wed for racecar night.

I and Scott {car owner} will spend whatever other days are necessary, sometimes none, sometimes a lot more. :D

We try not to have the team out too often to keep from burning out their families.

Rapid

In the past three weeks Buzzz, Paul and Dave (my sons) have spent almost every night (except Sundays) working well past midnight fabricating. We have two funnycars and now two dragsters in one stage or another of incomplete. We're trying to get ready for a race this weekend with Buzzz's Cadillac and they are completely re-wiring the car, built a new motor for it, changing from powerglide to B & J convertor drive, installing air system and new ignition system. The trans/convertors just got back from Marty Chance's shop yesterday afternoon and we were hoping to test tonight? I know last night was well past 2:00 AM.

The guys work generally till 10 o'clock just about every day. Since I go to school in the evening after work, I don't go every day, but when I do go...I stay there till about midnight, or until I fall asleep...which ever comes first.

I race a 10.90 bike which may make things easier / not as intense as the faster cars and bikes. There are no major rebuilds that occur between races. Normally, there's about 8-10 hours of maintenance and prep after each race / track weekend.

For the next 3 weeks it will be 1 or 2 hrs a night(frshen up time) Then I will get the short block back on the 18th and then it's how ever many hrs in the day it takes to be done in the car and racing by Friday morning.After that.I usually try to never take the car out of the trailer, unless it needs maintainance or repair that can't be done at the track.Other than that I do all fluid changes (they have the places to dispose of used oils)and run valves and rotate tires at the track.I wouldn't mind being involved in a class that required shop work between races, cause Racin is all I think about24/7 and I could be learnin somethin, and I do nothing else when I don't have race stuff to do.Next 2 days will be cleanin up and maintainance on stuff that rarely gets attention.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back