Crankshafts and crankshaft repairs (1 Viewer)

The boys in oshkosh WI have lots of Colas on clearance right now. I would give them a call and see if they have your application. 1-800-233-0199. Probably will not be over $600 shipped to your door.
When you are looking for a crower, velasco, bryant, or winberg, you are not going to get a new one for months and months. It is just the way it is.

We run Crowers in the Alcohol motors, Velascos in the TF Boat and N/NFC
and ran Bryants in the TFD all all motors built by 3 different builders/tuners

Good catch Randy.
I did not even think about Sonny Bryant starting with an S and ending with T.
I have never in my life heard anything but positive about Sonny Bryant. But have heard my fair share of problems with a shorter name that starts with S and ends with T. One that may only have four letters total.
My guess is Bill was speaking about the shorter of the two names.

Buzzz:

Yea, I guess I wasn't clear in my first post. I was talking about my crank manufacturer that starts with an "S" as in "Sonny" and ends with a "T" as in "Bryant"

Joe Squires at Sonny's turned me on to Marine Crank. He repairs without chroming which is especially important when you mag a crank. He welds with tooled steel and then reheat treats them. When you get it back it's very hard to tell it's ever been hurt. I've refered a lot of people including fuel teams and I've never heard any complaints from anyone.

David Eden once told me that the only reason someone would ever chrome a crank after a proper repair is so they can charge you for it. No other reason.

RG

When the unfortunate incident that a customer spins a bearing or a rod dings up a journal, we use Mile High Crankshafts in Denver. He does excellent work as well and does several repairs for the fuel and alcohol guys.

FWIW, Kelly and Buzzz decoded my criptic post correctly.

And while all these aftermarket cranks are excellent choices, if Paul can locate an older Chevrolet crank, especially for street use, I'm sure that will do the trick. I ran a stock 3.75 steel crank that we messaged and took great care of for over 800 runs; the last 100 or so on between 50-85% nitro.

We had to find 2 and 3 thou over bearings only because we were polishing that much off the journals over the years. Never had it turned or ground. Paul if you find a good one, I'm sure the crank guy in Santa Ana could determine if it's a good candidate for your project, and maybe save you some $$$. Best of luck with it.

FWIW, Kelly and Buzzz decoded my criptic post correctly.

And while all these aftermarket cranks are excellent choices, if Paul can locate an older Chevrolet crank, especially for street use, I'm sure that will do the trick. I ran a stock 3.75 steel crank that we messaged and took great care of for over 800 runs; the last 100 or so on between 50-85% nitro.

We had to find 2 and 3 thou over bearings only because we were polishing that much off the journals over the years. Never had it turned or ground. Paul if you find a good one, I'm sure the crank guy in Santa Ana could determine if it's a good candidate for your project, and maybe save you some $$$. Best of luck with it.

I remember, and I bet a lot of you do, when TONS of those GM 3.76 steel cranks were released a couple or so years ago. Seems like the part number was being discontinued or something? I remember them brand new being available for something like $100 (and I was broke, of course!). All of a sudden you saw a lot of non-crankshaft type companies with GM cranks on sale on the side for $300! Surprised they didn't make it onto McD's value menu. :D

I also remember when my hometown Chevy dealership moved from an old building to a new one and a buddy/old super stock racer ended up with a price sheet for stuff they had in the back that they were clearing out. Muncies, engines, etc, etc, etc, CHEAP! I do remember a 302 being on the list.

Last edited:
Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back