Crankshafts and crankshaft repairs (1 Viewer)

Nitro Member
What brand cranks do you guys run and how do you like them?

If you have a supercharged SBC, does your crank have a BBC snout?

Can anyone recommend a crank repair shop in SoCal?
I've heard about a place in South Orange county that many use/recommend.
Don't know the name or city.
:confused:

I run a small block boat off of the crank snout. I run a BBC snout. The SBC snouts are a bit weak in the nose if your going to run anything of large substance.
If Randy stands by these guys, I say- Go for it!

Oh wow, see? I was looking in Irvine. Thanx very much for the link and recommendation.

So what brands do you guys like?
I'm considering a crower. Any experience with those?

(this is just for a blown SBC, not going crazy with boost)

Crower's are fine, but I'd stay away from any that start with an S and end with a T. Major carnage even in carbed set ups.

Any of the good billets.
Henry Velasco
Sonny Bryant
Winberg
- are very similar and are definitely the best quality.
Crower probably next. Followed by Cola, then callies american cranks, then on down from there.
Any of the offshore cranks are kindof a crap shoot. You will get a container load of good ones, then a sliver of a bad batch. I know people that got a good one that swear by it, and I know ones that found a bad one and swear AT it.
For cranks, I buy the best I can afford. If a crank goes, you lose everything.

Henry's and Callies/Cola are all good stuff but the most important thing is the machining side of things...A monkey could assemble a motor but it's the final cuts/machining/exact clearances that will keep it alive...Building hi-po 4 strokes is a no-brainer today as if you cut a big enough check anyone could go fast...heck you could put a simple hi-po combo in a shopping cart and run 7 second passes all day...

Crower's are fine, but I'd stay away from any that start with an S and end with a T. Major carnage even in carbed set ups.

Hey Bill:

I don't run anything but his stuff and have NEVER had an issue. I'm picking up couple more in the next few days that have been on order for a while and I couldn't be happier. :confused:

RG

Hey Bill:

I don't run anything but his stuff and have NEVER had an issue. I'm picking up couple more in the next few days that have been on order for a while and I couldn't be happier. :confused:

RG
Ditto on what Randy said!

I've run nothing but Crower cranks (part #95125-4) through the years with ZERO problems... And that's spinning 8600+ every pass. Even after #1 tried to tango with #2 and exit the block, the only thing needed to fix the crank was a jewelers file and a little polish.

For price, you'll be hard pressed to beat Crower. Now if I had a bigger budget I'd probably go with a Winberg billet.

I think Bill was referring to Scat cranks.

Ditto with Stanley and Goodwin, we have used Crower cranks (pt #LW95126 with semi-lite option #95309) comes out about 42 1/2 lbs. after balance as well as their Maxi-Lite series rods with the UPG bolts in our 410 and 360 cubic inch sprint car engines for many years now. Our customers turn them anywheres from 8200-8800 rpms everytime they hit the track.

We have used them all and all mentioned are good products, we just happen to be loyal to Crower.

Stanley-Goodwin, are you guys going to the PRI show?

Kelly,

I wanted to go this year but doubt I'll make it. After next week's Bracket Nationals in Vegas I'm going to be wrapped up in remodeling a bank-owned/repo condo I'm buying... it's the right time to buy!

The Crower #95125-4 crank I run is their entry level forged crank. It's a 3.75" stroke, knife-edged with semi-finished counter weights, 0.125" radii on the journal edges, small block crank snout, and lightening holes in all the rod journals. Weighs in at about 53 pounds.

The next step up is would be the #95125 without any suffix. Is basically the same as the -4 only the counter wieghts are fully machined.

From their you get into the lightwieght, LW series and the UL, ultralight weights. Each has an added level of machine along with removal of the center counter weight.

Good catch Randy.
I did not even think about Sonny Bryant starting with an S and ending with T.
I have never in my life heard anything but positive about Sonny Bryant. But have heard my fair share of problems with a shorter name that starts with S and ends with T. One that may only have four letters total.
My guess is Bill was speaking about the shorter of the two names.

Thanx gentlemen for the info.
I called crower and spoke to DJ and Kerry in the crank dept.
They said it could be ready by March
crazy.gif

I need to get my project done by Jan. 31st 2008.

So I'll just try to repair at that marine crank place mentioned earlier.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back