Glad it's over with. (1 Viewer)

sometimes it maybe isn't about who wins or loses, just the fact that a race is held and it attracts spectators and viewers, and the business of racing continues.
changing up the recipe a little bit IMO is a good thing. sitting still = stale.
just had this one pop up on my utube today......couple of utubers attending zmax. 41 minutes worth!
if i'm nhra, i'm interested in keeping my hard core fans, but also interested in this age demo, as they have hundreds of other avenues
to spend their money in this increasingly 'green' political climate......this single utuber has 631 subscribers. even if 25% watch this video?
you can't pass that up.

sometimes it maybe isn't about who wins or loses, just the fact that a race is held and it attracts spectators and viewers, and the business of racing continues.
changing up the recipe a little bit IMO is a good thing. sitting still = stale.
just had this one pop up on my utube today......couple of utubers attending zmax. 41 minutes worth!
if i'm nhra, i'm interested in keeping my hard core fans, but also interested in this age demo, as they have hundreds of other avenues
to spend their money in this increasingly 'green' political climate......this single utuber has 631 subscribers. even if 25% watch this video?
you can't pass that up.
Here's another one, this time from a channel with upwards of 5k subscribers

I’m not a fan of the 4 wide but it’s better than no racing at all. If Vegas and Charlotte continues to have 2 races each I think is fine they do something different to attract crowds. I still go the the Vegas 4wide every year and it’s ok. It’s definitely better in person than on TV. My biggest complaint is the down time for track prep. Only two tractors to prep for lanes seems to take forever between PS and Nitro.

I don't care for watching 4 wide on TV. Like the announcers I can't keep up with the cars. Why not trying to run 4 wide in qualifying and 2 wide for eliminations. Considering the Sunday show is where the ratings happen you could have the spare 2 lanes ready in case of an oil down, etc to keep the show going and everybody would have had a shot at those alternate lanes in qualifying.

Judging by the very small crowd on the spectator side, and the far from full pit side, at Z-Max this past weekend, I’d say NHRA has a lot more work to do.

In fairness I would think the weather played a huge factor in attendance this year

I don't like the 4-wide because there are only 7 rounds of racing in each 4-wide class vs 15 rounds for the 2-wides. The event itself is over much too fast.

I don't like the 4-wide because there are only 7 rounds of racing in each 4-wide class vs 15 rounds for the 2-wides. The event itself is over much too fast.
Don't really understand! There is only 3 rounds of Racing in the fuel classes at the 4 wide. Qualifying is not Racing (Eliminations). In most other cases in qualifying there are 3 qualifiers and 4 rounds of actual RACING. The total number is still 7 times they go down the track.

Don't really understand! There is only 3 rounds of Racing in the fuel classes at the 4 wide. Qualifying is not Racing (Eliminations). In most other cases in qualifying there are 3 qualifiers and 4 rounds of actual RACING. The total number is still 7 times they go down the track.
Believe he's not referring to the amount of sessions but the amount of runs on raceday. Four wide has 4 "quads" in round 1, 2 in the semis and 1 in the final for a total of 7 quads per class on Sunday. Versus 15 pairs of cars per class on Sunday in 2 wide races (8 round 1, 4 round 2, 2 in the semis, 1 final)

Believe he's not referring to the amount of sessions but the amount of runs on raceday. Four wide has 4 "quads" in round 1, 2 in the semis and 1 in the final for a total of 7 quads per class on Sunday. Versus 15 pairs of cars per class on Sunday in 2 wide races (8 round 1, 4 round 2, 2 in the semis, 1 final)

Spence is correct. I didn't explain it very well.

Well I don't know if I classify as hard core or old school, but I went to my first 4 wide and I loved it. It wasn't that hard to follow. Flashing light is winner, solid light is second. As for the confusion, the only time it was confusing to me was when two cars crossed the center line and Force got the gift. Confusing and entertaining as all get out. :eek:🤣🤣

I shot this picture at the Vegas race two weeks ago. I was at about the 550 ft mark.
If you didn't already know the results of this race, who do you think won?
It's the TAD final.
Keeping up with two cars is tough enough. I'd prefer not to have to keep up with four.
I'm not about to criticize those who like 4-wide, but I'm not going to another. My wife and I will go to Charlotte one of these years, but only for the 2 wide race.
Vegas TAD.png

Anyone who has seen it in person and doesn't care for it, I'm not going to say you're wrong. At least you gave it a look and a fair shake. And as I said before, I'm certainly not going to tell anyone they have to like it. And please don't tell me I have to hate it.

For those who decided they hate it and haven't seen it live, I'm reminded of my mother asking: How do I know I hate spinach if I never tried it? 🤣🤣🤣

Alan

I think people need to realize it's popular with casual fans and that's how you grow the sport. Make a casual fan a regular one. I think part of this fan based wants this sport to fail and die off

I have an idea that will placate everybody, the track owners, fans and racers....

Race two wide and then at the end, line up and run again back to the starting line in the other lanes! The 1/2 Mile Nationals!
Sure the nitro guys will have to figure out how to run back to back....maybe throw a pre-packed set of chutes on for the return trip.... fill the tank and line 'em up ~:)~

1000 ft mark measured from the top end so they have equal stopping distance o_O Hey , in 1986 Big Daddy proved you can do it at one of the shortest tracks...E Town

Well, as you said, it's over for the year. And if you don't care for it? That's fine. I'm certainly not telling anyone what they should like.

But if you look at the grandstands, you have to admit that the spectacle draws the casual fan and if it brings people to the track that wouldn't have come otherwise and gives us a chance to hook them. And I support anything that will bring new fans to give us a look.

Alan
You have a valid point Alan - putting butts in the seats. IMHO thats the only saving point with 4 wide.

I went to the first ever 4-Wide at Charlotte and when 4 fuel cars went by at full power when I was sitting on the top row of the pit side grandstands it was amazing. I personally don't like the format and it was not Bruton's idea how the track should be used. He wanted a spare dragstrip to switch over to when a massive oildown happened to keep the show going on.
I don't believe for a second that his 4 wide was for a spare track after a oil down.

I can state for a fact that the attendance at the spring Vegas event is MUCH higher for the 4-wide than it ever was for the traditional format event. It's not even close.

Alan
That is surprising as Vegas 2 was the last race before the finals with many championship's still not decided. Not sure how the schedule shakes out this year.

Well, as you said, it's over for the year. And if you don't care for it? That's fine. I'm certainly not telling anyone what they should like.

But if you look at the grandstands, you have to admit that the spectacle draws the casual fan and if it brings people to the track that wouldn't have come otherwise and gives us a chance to hook them. And I support anything that will bring new fans to give us a look.

Alan
If it puts fans in the stands, I'm all for that. Thanks for pointing that out, Alan. It just not for me (or Torrence and Langdon). That's all.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back