I'm sure glad . . . (1 Viewer)

That would work if the nitro classes were the only cars going down the track. Slower classes don't have the luxury of thousands of pounds of downforce.

the pro classes should be the only thing going down the track at national
events - the HD Partners deal was on the rite path, too bad it fizzled

on a 4.63 1320 foot f/c pass... what was the 1000 foot time? And why has it only be equaled in candyland conditions?:confused:

d'kid

on a 4.63 1320 foot f/c pass... what was the 1000 foot time? And why has it only be equaled in candyland conditions?:confused:

d'kid

Right Lane: Robert Hight Runs 4.636/327.74, Now #1; Best prior run: 9.670/88.49, Was #19

Ok. It appears the AAA team has it figured out as Prock tunes Hight to the quickest run in Funny Car history. Johnson made a great lap but just got lost in the hype as Hight drove around him and into momentary history. Robert Hight's incremental times: 60ft-0.878 sec., 330ft-2.243, 660ft-3.175/273.16mph, 1,000ft-3.955 Conditions are really good!

It has NEVER been equaled or beaten. The cars are also a few hundred pounds heavier now than they were 5 (almost 6) years ago when this pass was made.

Right Lane: Robert Hight Runs 4.636/327.74, Now #1; Best prior run: 9.670/88.49, Was #19

Ok. It appears the AAA team has it figured out as Prock tunes Hight to the quickest run in Funny Car history. Johnson made a great lap but just got lost in the hype as Hight drove around him and into momentary history. Robert Hight's incremental times: 60ft-0.878 sec., 330ft-2.243, 660ft-3.175/273.16mph, 1,000ft-3.955 Conditions are really good!

It has NEVER been equaled or beaten. The cars are also a few hundred pounds heavier now than they were 5 (almost 6) years ago when this pass was made.

Wasn't that run before NHRA added 100 lbs. to the Floppers?

That would work if the nitro classes were the only cars going down the track. Slower classes don't have the luxury of thousands of pounds of downforce.

How do you figure that? The track is the same for everyone. If the surface isn't saturated with glue, everyone has to adjust to, and run, the track. I don't see the sticky pig spraying the crap out of the track before stock eliminator, only before the pros.

No S. Sherlock... funny, E.L. told me it was .03 slower than that...

d'kid

How do you figure that? The track is the same for everyone. If the surface isn't saturated with glue, everyone has to adjust to, and run, the track. I don't see the sticky pig spraying the crap out of the track before stock eliminator, only before the pros.
I'm not saying I completely disagree with the concept, but one may want to ask Shane Gray and the rest of the Pro Stock contingent how they feel about track prep.

I'm not saying I completely disagree with the concept, but one may want to ask Shane Gray and the rest of the Pro Stock contingent how they feel about track prep.
Gordon, I feel that it is the responsibility of Nhra to give the teams a safe race track, but I don't feel that they are responsible to prep the track to determine the performance of the cars. I have always felt that it is the responsibility of the teams to set their cars up to race safely on what ever kind of track that they are given to race on. But teams are always going to set them up to run on the ragged edge. The teams know how to keep the cars controllable, but they might have to give up some performance.

Last edited:

I don't understand... what the heck does 'gluing' the track have to do with stock, S/S, 8.9, 9.9, S/G, S/C ?:confused:

d'kid

I thought just about the opposite of what the fuel car like... and pass the 1000ft mark... with no water seeping from under the rubber :rolleyes::confused::eek:

d'kid

Me personally, I'm all for less regulation... a LOT less regulation, but that conversation probably belongs in the politics forum.

Along with Ed's comment about unfulfilled promises. ;)

To me, nitro racing isn't just about the pass itself. It's getting to see and occasionally meet and talk to the drivers, getting to watch the pit crew as they work between rounds, being able to listen to one of the most unique sounds on earth - a 10,000HP nitro-fueled hemi being warmed - and watching the starting fire-up and burnout process. The run is the icing, but the cake itself is pretty tasty in its own right.

We aren't going back to 1320' nitro racing, promises or no promises. It ain't THAT bad. What's not to like about 330MPH drag racing?

Gordon, I feel that it is the responsibility of Nhra to give the teams a safe race track, but I don't feel that they are responsible to prep the track to determine the performance of the cars. I have always felt that it is the responsibility of the teams to set their cars up to race safely on what ever kind of track that they are given to race on. But teams are always going to set them up to run on the ragged edge. The teams know how to keep the cars controllable, but they might have to give up some performance.
Valid argument, Eugene, and if implemented, less "glue" as it's been referred to might just be the great equalizer for some of the lesser funded teams to be a little more competitive. Even though I'm the guy who brought it up, I've also said in the past that it's a choice to race in Pro Stock (or any other class for that matter) and if that's what you choose, you make that choice knowing full well that downforce, or more appropriately a lack of downforce, is going to be an issue for you.

Along with Ed's comment about unfulfilled promises. ;)

To me, nitro racing isn't just about the pass itself. It's getting to see and occasionally meet and talk to the drivers, getting to watch the pit crew as they work between rounds, being able to listen to one of the most unique sounds on earth - a 10,000HP nitro-fueled hemi being warmed - and watching the starting fire-up and burnout process. The run is the icing, but the cake itself is pretty tasty in its own right.

We aren't going back to 1320' nitro racing, promises or no promises. It ain't THAT bad. What's not to like about 330MPH drag racing?

Unfulfilled promises... Now that's funny! :D

But on a serious note, I couldn't agree more, Carl. That's why when I was asked to act on the quote in my signature block I replied by stating, a) I am, to the degree I'm able, and b) I don't really feel there's a problem to solve in the first place.

I've stood on the flight deck of many an aircraft carrier at the foul line as jets were launching and making arrested landings and I've stood 75' from the starting line (abeam the tree, spectator side @ Vegas) during fuel racing and I'm here to tell you - there is nothing on a flight deck that compares to the raw power a fuel motor makes at the hit! Okay, if pressed I guess I'd say they "compare," but the fuel cars are still louder.

Valid argument, Eugene, and if implemented, less "glue" as it's been referred to might just be the great equalizer for some of the lesser funded teams to be a little more competitive. Even though I'm the guy who brought it up, I've also said in the past that it's a choice to race in Pro Stock (or any other class for that matter) and if that's what you choose, you make that choice knowing full well that downforce, or more appropriately a lack of downforce, is going to be an issue for you.

Unfulfilled promises... Now that's funny! :D

But on a serious note, I couldn't agree more, Carl. That's why when I was asked to act on the quote in my signature block I replied by stating, a) I am, to the degree I'm able, and b) I don't really feel there's a problem to solve in the first place.

I've stood on the flight deck of many an aircraft carrier at the foul line as jets were launching and making arrested landings and I've stood 75' from the starting line (abeam the tree, spectator side @ Vegas) during fuel racing and I'm here to tell you - there is nothing on a flight deck that compares to the raw power a fuel motor makes at the hit! Okay, if pressed I guess I'd say they "compare," but the fuel cars are still louder.
That has to be an awesome feeling standing on the flight deck of an aircraft carrier.:)

I stood between my wife and my mother in law arguing about Thanksgiving dinner. Both were louder than a top fueler.....

I stood between my wife and my mother in law arguing about Thanksgiving dinner. Both were louder than a top fueler.....

Some advice I learned from 68 years of life and 3 marriages...NEVER EVER stand between 2 mad women. I'll take killer bees or fire ants before I'll ever do that again.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back