Dunn Not Returning to NHRA Broadcast in 2016 (1 Viewer)

Tony Pedregon Named Drag Racing Analyst for 2016 Fox NHRA Television Team

BIG BIG MISTAKE!...HUGE!!!

Part of the problem I see with the TP hire, is that he will be bringing a lot of his old biases and baggage into the booth. Plus, if he's as unpopular with his peers as I've heard, they aren't going to be too willing to open up to him in interviews. Dunn was good at getting people to talk about what was going on with their team, the competition, and the sport in general. I don't see that same "vibe coming from Tony P.

I've always said that be best announcers are those that can educate, inform, and entertain the listeners and viewers. In a sport like NHRA Drag Racing, you've got to be able to relate to the newcomers to the sport, as well as crusty old dudes like me. It's not an easy gig, and Mike Dunn was very good at his job.

Still not understanding the logic here, nor what the business case might be for this change.

Well, not even sure we get fox sports... Last thing I watch on the Fox? Not Sure Even what channel fox is on. Oh, well... guess I can do without...

I think Tony will be fine. He's well spoken and knowledgeable of the sport. He knows what it's like to be a team owner and a champion.

I've encountered him on a few occassions and he's proven to be a complete ass in person both at the track and in a non race business setting. He's a bawl bag, very biased, ego maniac and very unapreciative of any oppertunity given him. There's a reason he failed to find sufficent funding to continue racing. He's proven to be terrible when interviwed and I see no reason to give him any additional chances. I'll check the results via the internet and/or attend my usual 2 to 4 races but I'll not spend one minute listening to him on the broadcast.

I've encountered him on a few occassions and he's proven to be a complete ass in person both at the track and in a non race business setting. He's a bawl bag, very biased, ego maniac and very unapreciative of any oppertunity given him. There's a reason he failed to find sufficent funding to continue racing. He's proven to be terrible when interviwed and I see no reason to give him any additional chances. I'll check the results via the internet and/or attend my usual 2 to 4 races but I'll not spend one minute listening to him on the broadcast.
So what !! For god's sake its a sport. Surely there must be more meaningful things going on in your life than having to ... 1) Boycott a network over a hire of a sports color analyst, 2) Limit your support of a sport you supposedly love because of the same.

Sports fans crack me up some times.

Ken ... this statement is a little odd. In my opinion, most of the best sports commentators in their business were never in the game. I'll only give a short list ...
  • Vin Scully (LA Dodgers Broadcaster)
  • Al Michaels (NBC NFL Broadcaster, Olympics, MLB)
  • Vern Lundquist (CBS College Football)
  • There are several others ... Bob Costas, Dick Enberg, Keith Jackson
All of these guys have won Emmy's for their work. Who's to say there isn't a future Emmy award winning drag racing announcer sitting in the wings? I DO NOT think you have to have a former drag racer to have a good show.

IMO there is no way you can compare the complexity of drag racing to simple stick and ball sports. The last thing I want is to have an announcer telling me about the sport who has no idea what it's like to do that activity. Mike Dunn knows the sport inside and out. He made drag racing telecasts fun and instructive to watch. Giving him his walking papers will go down as one of the worst mistakes NHRA has made.

We are witnessing the downfall of drag racing both at the track and now on TV. I really wonder if it will be around in 10 years?

IMO there is no way you can compare the complexity of drag racing to simple stick and ball sports. The last thing I want is to have an announcer telling me about the sport who has no idea what it's like to do that activity. Mike Dunn knows the sport inside and out. He made drag racing telecasts fun and instructive to watch. Giving him his walking papers will go down as one of the worst mistakes NHRA has made.

We are witnessing the downfall of drag racing both at the track and now on TV. I really wonder if it will be around in 10 years?

I'm not a fan of the move either but it's not like they replaced him with someone who doesn't know about racing. I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that this Tony guy has been down the track a time or two :)

I'm not a fan of the move either but it's not like they replaced him with someone who doesn't know about racing. I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that this Tony guy has been down the track a time or two :)

I was referring to the previous post about a commentator who never played the game. IMO that wouldn't work with drag racing. But I would never question Tony's experience or knowledge.

We should all just stop going and watching now and be ahead of the curve ?? As Joe Sherwood sarcastically comments often "you're right, its over".

This "heart on the fans sleeve" crap is just comical.

New Mater here, with no inside knowledge, but just wondering, if ESPN had rights to broadcast this year and Dunn and company are ESPN employees, do you all think they may be under a no compete clause in their contracts. I would hope it would be something like this and the guys could be back after the '16 season.

New Mater here, with no inside knowledge, but just wondering, if ESPN had rights to broadcast this year and Dunn and company are ESPN employees, do you all think they may be under a no compete clause in their contracts. I would hope it would be something like this and the guys could be back after the '16 season.

I would think Dunn might have let that slip in the press release but who knows!

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back