Dunn Not Returning to NHRA Broadcast in 2016 (1 Viewer)

T P should do just fine . His family goes way back in Drag Racing maybe he can help out brother Cruz .
The Cruz and Force Rivalry could defiantly stir things up .

I've encountered him on a few occassions and he's proven to be a complete ass in person both at the track and in a non race business setting. He's a bawl bag, very biased, ego maniac and very unapreciative of any oppertunity given him. There's a reason he failed to find sufficent funding to continue racing. He's proven to be terrible when interviwed and I see no reason to give him any additional chances. I'll check the results via the internet and/or attend my usual 2 to 4 races but I'll not spend one minute listening to him on the broadcast.

Don't know which Tony Pedregon you are referring to , but I've always found Tony to be great with the fans. Was it something YOU said?

2015:
Stat Guy - "Yer gonna love this one, Mike. The first time Connie (Kalitta) went to a final in a national event was the 63 Winternationals, right here in Pomona. He lost in Top Gas to Bob Muravez, who drove....?"
Mike Dunn - " THE FREIGHT TRAIN ! Floyd J Lippincott Jr. That was his alias!"

2016:
Stat Guy - "Yer gonna love this one, Tony. The first time Connie (Kalitta) went to a final in a national event was the 63 Winternationals, right here in Pomona. He lost in Top Gas to Bob Muravez, who drove....?"
TPed - "Um... do I get a hint?"

this could apply to just about anyone young that the NHRA would pick...... there needs to be some history experience on that side of the booth....otherwise it will fail

I used to watch/record every Formula 1 race....then they moved to NBCSports and dumped Bob Varsha. Then they changed to turbos and no longer had the screaming engines.Then they put more emphasis on the air spoiler to allow cars to pass the leader. Then they introduced hybrid power to the cars. I haven't followed F1 ever since......

NHRA, you are taking chances with a sport a lot of us are obsessed with and the future only looks 50% bright to me IMO....

Well, I happen to think NBC Sports is doing a pretty darn good job with F1.

As for the new team, I'll tune in and watch and give them a chance. Sure I'll miss Mike, but it is what it is. Throwing a foot stomping snit isn't going to change a thing.

Well, I happen to think NBC Sports is doing a pretty darn good job with F1.

As for the new team, I'll tune in and watch and give them a chance. Sure I'll miss Mike, but it is what it is. Throwing a foot stomping snit isn't going to change a thing.
Love you David, but they're making a huge mistake letting Mike go. He, unknowinly, channels Steve Evans in my mind, I like what he brings to the table, Tony is too angry.

2015:
Stat Guy - "Yer gonna love this one, Mike. The first time Connie (Kalitta) went to a final in a national event was the 63 Winternationals, right here in Pomona. He lost in Top Gas to Bob Muravez, who drove....?"
Mike Dunn - " THE FREIGHT TRAIN ! Floyd J Lippincott Jr. That was his alias!"

2016:
Stat Guy - "Yer gonna love this one, Tony. The first time Connie (Kalitta) went to a final in a national event was the 63 Winternationals, right here in Pomona. He lost in Top Gas to Bob Muravez, who drove....?"
TPed - "Um... do I get a hint?"

this could apply to just about anyone young that the NHRA would pick...... there needs to be some history experience on that side of the booth....otherwise it will fail
Why does there need to be a history piece to this? Do new, younger fans need that? I don't know. Do they care? Not sure. But if they are interested, there are plenty of ways to get that information. I would venture to say that Tony P. can tell viewers plenty about the sport's history, he grew up at the drag strip so he has certainly seen a lot. And unless you have had a direct conversation(s) with him about the history of NHRA, you don't know either. Let's just take a deep breath and watch and see next February.

Bob, no disrespect meant. But to me your analogy above proves the point I have made here several times. The fan demographic that is shrinking wants the sport to still cater to them. I have been around this sport for quite a long time ... is the history cool? Yes. Do I need to be pelted with historical tidbits to make my experience exciting? Nope. Fun and interesting, but to me not required.

The constant bitching and complaining won't put Mike Dunn in the Fox Sports broadcasts. The decision has been made. They, Fox Sports/NHRA have to get people to start watching before they can educate or wax poetically about who won what in 1963. Of course it's possible Tony Pedregon already knows the answer, but since some are hellbent on railing him before day 1 we'll never know. I doubt Dave will be returning, it just looks like a fresh start. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing. It'll be different there's no questioning that, but change is constant. I heard Ralph Sheheen on FS1 not that long ago. I wouldn't be surprised if he is a consideration. He has history back to the TNN/Diamond P days with Steve Evans, Big Mac, and Bob Frey. The NHRA fan base is pretty much the same core fans with little, or no addition in the last 15+ years. Look at the attendance, it's not difficult to figure out.

The F1 comparison is reaching at best. NHRA is light years behind F1 in every aspect. The change to hybrid turbo V6's was made two years ago. The reason, it's technology that will be in our street cars in the future. There's no way you were ever going to see a 3.0L V10 powered Toyota Camry on a dealers lot. The technology is extremely advanced because it's considered the future, so by definition it's going to be difficult to understand initially. The politics of F1 are so badly screwed up it's not even worth debating. If you hate the direction F1 is heading, you probably despise Formula E.

I thought it was a class act that Jack Beckman, after round 1 of elem.
Instead of talking about the deal with Del, or talking about his sponsors. He drew attention to Gary G. and Mike D. and thanked them for all they did for all the years they did it.
They played it down as true professionals. Good job Jack !

I thought it was a class act that Jack Beckman, after round 1 of elem.
Instead of talking about the deal with Del, or talking about his sponsors. He drew attention to Gary G. and Mike D. and thanked them for all they did for all the years they did it.
They played it down as true professionals. Good job Jack !

Yeah, that was classy. Typical Beckman. I was looking forward to an interview with Jack after he lost in the Semi's but didn't see one... did I miss it or wasn't there one?

Several of the drivers thanked them. I thought that Jerry Savoie was awesome telling Gman how he felt so privileged to have ever met him.

Yeah, that was classy. Typical Beckman. I was looking forward to an interview with Jack after he lost in the Semi's but didn't see one... did I miss it or wasn't there one?
From what I saw they didn't interview Jack. I'm guessing they had to squeeze in airtime for the championship presentations.

Watching the broadcast on my DVR you would never know there were two rain delays. Clay Milican was prestaged when they shut the pair off first round for the first delay. They sent all the cars back to the pits and waited out a brief shower before drying the track and calling everyone back. The second time comp was up and it started raining. They sent everyone back, waited for the rain to stop, and called the pros back for the next round.

Not to derail the thread, but I started watching F1 this year, and don't know everything about the series. What are the specs on engine combos, and what hybrid technology do they use? Also, is there a go-to forum similar to Mater for F1?

Not to derail the thread, but I started watching F1 this year, and don't know everything about the series. What are the specs on engine combos, and what hybrid technology do they use? Also, is there a go-to forum similar to Mater for F1?
I think Mr. Cook knows about F1 you might PM him.

There's no way you were ever going to see a 3.0L V10 powered Toyota Camry on a dealers lot.

It's called the Lexus LFA.

Part of the reason BMW pulled out of F1 was because they were going to move towards V10s and away from V12s in their flagship street cars and had spent millions of dollars developing the street V10 and were going to use F1 as a marketing platform and tie-in. Then the 2.4L V8s came in F1 and the M5 was the only Bimmer to ever get the V10 on the street, and the rest of the program was quietly killed at a significant loss to BMW. Both Toyota and BMW could easily afford to continue in F1, they just didn't trust F1 as a marketing platform to sell the cars they wanted to sell to F1 consumers. The Camry will sell no matter what, few people that buy a Camry actually give a crap about cars/competition/performance, or they wouldn't buy a Camry. As it is, the LFA was the only Toyota to get the V10, and that cannot be a coincidence (just like BMW).

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back