Dunn Not Returning to NHRA Broadcast in 2016 (2 Viewers)

The constant bitching and complaining won't put Mike Dunn in the Fox Sports broadcasts. The decision has been made. They, Fox Sports/NHRA have to get people to start watching before they can educate or wax poetically about who won what in 1963. Of course it's possible Tony Pedregon already knows the answer, but since some are hellbent on railing him before day 1 we'll never know. I doubt Dave will be returning, it just looks like a fresh start. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing. It'll be different there's no questioning that, but change is constant. I heard Ralph Sheheen on FS1 not that long ago. I wouldn't be surprised if he is a consideration. He has history back to the TNN/Diamond P days with Steve Evans, Big Mac, and Bob Frey. The NHRA fan base is pretty much the same core fans with little, or no addition in the last 15+ years. Look at the attendance, it's not difficult to figure out.

The F1 comparison is reaching at best. NHRA is light years behind F1 in every aspect. The change to hybrid turbo V6's was made two years ago. The reason, it's technology that will be in our street cars in the future. There's no way you were ever going to see a 3.0L V10 powered Toyota Camry on a dealers lot. The technology is extremely advanced because it's considered the future, so by definition it's going to be difficult to understand initially. The politics of F1 are so badly screwed up it's not even worth debating. If you hate the direction F1 is heading, you probably despise Formula E.

Too complicated for me, what's this got to do with Mike Dunn?

Not to derail the thread, but I started watching F1 this year, and don't know everything about the series. What are the specs on engine combos, and what hybrid technology do they use? Also, is there a go-to forum similar to Mater for F1?

F1 cars are hybrids containing a 1.6L V6, single turbo charged internal combustion engine, must be 90 degree V angle, 15,000 RPM limit and must run on 92 octane "pump gas". They are allowed 100 kilograms of fuel for the race, refuelling is banned during pit stops. They have 2 hybrid systems on board, a motor generating unit kinetic (MGU-K) and a motor generating unit heat (MGU-H). The MGU-K converts unused energy of the flywheel to electric energy and the MGU-H converts heat from the exhaust side of the turbo to electric energy. That energy is stored in batteries that must be contained in the survival cell where the driver sits and the batteries must weigh a minimum of 20 kilograms and a maximum of 25 kilograms. A maximum of 4 Mega Joules of energy can be transferred from the batteries to the electric motor on the car per lap, and can only be used when the car is travelling over 100 kilometers per hour. The power unit (internal combustion engine, electric motor, MGU-K and MGU-H) must weigh a minimum of 145 kilograms and they are only allowed to use 4 per season. If they use more than 4 of any one element of the power unit, they will incur grid place penalties for the start of the race.

The cars can be a maximum of 5 meters long (defined as leading edge of front wing to trailing edge of rear wing) and must have a minimum 3 meter wheelbase with a maximum of 3.5 meter wheelbase. They can be between 1.8 and 1.65 meters wide. They can be between 950 millimeters and 1 meter tall, the tallest point must be the rollhoop behind the driver for safety. Minimum weight is 642 kilograms (1415 pounds!!!!) including driver and fluids except fuel. Most teams are easily under weight and add ballast to the car. They can have up to 8 forward gears and the driver must select all up gear changes, they can have automatic downshifts. They must use 6 piston brake calipers with carbon discs and pads. Brakes are the same size front and rear. All teams use the same wheel (Enkei) and tire (Pirelli) vendors. The front wheels are 12 inches by 13 inches and the rears are 13.7 by 13. Tire compounds used at a circuit are determined by the tire vendor and the teams must use both compounds during the race unless it rains and they use rain tires.

The regulations will be the same for 2016.

(I did all of this from memory ... I might have to get a life LOL)

I will agree with a sentiment expressed in this thread, if you quit watching NHRA because of announcers ... Why are you watching in the first place? How much of a fan are you really? I am sure Paul Page is a super nice guy in person, but he is terrible in the booth IMO, and he wasn't going to stop me from watching the Indy 500 back in the day or NHRA more recently. I will miss Mike Dunn, I am ambivalent about TPed ... But I will keep watching because I love it.

I got lucky that back in the Spring FS1 was moved to my tier of cable (about the time FS1 started airing NASCAR races), so I won't have to pay extra. I am crap out of luck for anything that winds up on FS2 though.

I am going to watch even if Paris Hilton is doing the color commentary (that's what mute buttons are for)

still steamed at the NHRA for this though..... like when my father was let go from his managerial position 2 weeks before Christmas a bunch of years ago so they could hire someone half his age (and a quarter his experience) to save money....that caused a couple of employees to get PO'd and walk out as well (great guys)

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back