Dunn Not Returning to NHRA Broadcast in 2016 (2 Viewers)

I agree Paul, I find this news to be very disappointing!!

And I wish they would Competition Plus back up and running this morning!

Dude could tell you what was happening to a fuel motor in real time while it was happening. Will be missed.

IMO, they are going to have a hard time replacing a guy with the knowledge Mike Dunn brings to the table. Maybe they have a plan in place already but man at this time it's pretty hard to see them hiring a better fit.

The news about the NHRA just seems to get worse all the time and now to see Mike Dunn gone is really not a smart move for drag racing.

I was afraid with the move to Fox there would be changes that might not be in the best interest of drag racing.

Just my opinion but this is another stupid move which will hurt drag racing.

Jim Hill
http://www.nostalgicracingdecals.com

Hey NHRA this is not the way to "fix" things...and it sure as hell ain't a move in the right direction to get me back in your good graces. Man....I sure would like to see him back in a ride....but really going to miss him in the booth. The only insight I think that has been better has been from Big himself when he used to do some of the Diamond P work and occasionally when you would hear him with Big Mac on the mic at a national event.

Although...I do remember NHRA saying they were going to be brining some stuff production wise inhouse....maybe he fits in with that venture? maybe?
hoping? praying? :confused:

I definitely will miss him. I believe the proper thing to do is reserve judgement until we give the new crew a chance. You never know what could happen.

Michael, likely you visited the site during the 20X rush, and I am not kidding you, and we get a large volume of traffic but within 10 minutes of the article going up, our servers were hit with 20 times the normal traffic, once it caught up with the data demands, it has been running strong. We have been at steady 10-times the traffic all day. 13 hours into the day we had already surpassed 24 hour totals. I'm not complaining in the least, just disappointed you had an issue signing on during the time.

Money would say that FS1 will gear up with a combination of former driver and/or crew chief in some capacity. These guys may even be doing trail runs right now. Audtions. Grooming. And this is the thing (in my opinion) about Mike Dunn. A fantastic job!! Quality A+. Just look at his learning curve from the first day he stepped in the booth. Unreal! Informative, opinionated, some comedy. Mike can take what he has learned in the booth and go from here. There are almost hundreds of types of motorsports broadcast around the world in todays TV land. Mike doesn't have to, and I'm sure he is not just limiting himself to Drag Racing only. What a building block he has in his back pocket!

Last edited:
The NHRA is broken. Dunn was one of the only reasons I would even watch anymore. And the rest of the broadcast crew was solid. In fact, it might have been one of the only solid things going on in the NHRA broadcasts.

It's been beaten to death, but I am quickly losing interest in the NHRA as a sanctioning body. I still do not like 1000' racing. I attended Sears Point 13 straight years, the last in 2010 was because it was a work commitment with my current employer. My employer found no more value in sponsoring teams, and has limited involvement these days. Pro Mod should be a full-time pro class, it is one of the most entertaining things out there. I'd rather go to a Nostalgia event in Sacramento.

And now no more Dunn? Best thing that could've happened was if Bruton would have purchased the whole thing......

Mike was great and this is very disappointing news. Leaves huge shoes to fill and I'm hoping for the best -- for the sport and especially for Mike.

Lets look at it another way. Almost everyone had a beef with ESPN's coverage. Too short-too long-to technical-too fluffy. Etc.
FS takes over and wants to put a new spin on things. All new staff would be one of the first steps. If the casual viewer tunes in + sees Dunn, Hes going to think its the same old show.
Can't blame NHRA for this one. I'll miss him too-but lets wait and see what talent gets chosen. Who knows-toward the end of the season we may be talking about the "do or Scelzi line". ;)

For all the NHRA bashing. Mike did not work for NHRA. He was employed by ESPN. So as I understand it, unless Reiff and Kernan get a job at FS1 and leave ESPN, we won't be seeing them on NHRA broadcasts next season either.

For all the NHRA bashing. Mike did not work for NHRA. He was employed by ESPN. So as I understand it, unless Reiff and Kernan get a job at FS1 and leave ESPN, we won't be seeing them on NHRA broadcasts next season either.

But given that NHRA was paying ESPN to have their product shown, I'd be willing to bet that the NHRA was making decisions on who was on the broadcast team.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back