Don Schumacher not fooled by John's BS (2 Viewers)

Being popular. No one will ever(after Garlits) be more popular or more remembered than John Force. Without John and his family drag racing would be near dead right now. I just wish the would have a top fuel car in their stable.

I completely disagree. The sport of drag racing is bigger than one man or one team. ESPN would find a new story to follow or another hero to make.

I doubt even Force would agree with you.

.............This is what bugs the hell out of me but it seems nobody really cares. John Force didn't feel the all the prestige and accomplishment of winning the biggest drag race in the world was worth MORE than putting an 11th place car in the Countdown. Is that what a true racer would do??

If John doesn't want to win the Biggest race trophy in drag racing he should step aside. Rather that than spit on the trophy and those who have held it or gave up everything trying to get it!!

That's just how I feel.
What are you talking about, John Force got his 11th place car in the Countdown AND took home the trophy.

Most everybody wins. Force gets his 4 cars into the show, keeps his sponsors happy and the bucks rolling in. The Peds get the sympathy vote and the motivation to kick Force's arse next season (or in Tony's case, the rest of this one) along with more airtime than ever to fan the flames (airtime = sponsor exposure). ESPN scores a major knockout by being in the right place at the right time and pushing the buttons they knew would flame a controversy. Even non-fans will probably be inclined to watch the next telecast to see the inevitable fireworks and hear an announcer (Dunn) who actually has the sack (right or wrong) to call it the way he sees it. ESPN's sponsors will be all kinds of happy about ratings the next 6 races (see last thought). And, finally, the NHRA and its decisions/non-decisions will be on everyone's lips for who knows how long. Everyone will chime in on this one, and everyone equates to exposure and money. I'm not taking any sides because I don't have a dog in this hunt.....I'm just a fan.....but it is enjoyable to sit back and watch human nature in action.:)

I like both Force and Schumacher does anyone remember Larry Dixons light a few races back. With the way Force has been blasting around this year it could of caught up with him. Who knows what was going through his mind when the light came on. He could of been looking at the tree and thinking something else. any one who has raced probaly knows what I'am talking about although I'am just a bracket racer.

I like both Force and Schumacher does anyone remember Larry Dixons light a few races back. With the way Force has been blasting around this year it could of caught up with him. Who knows what was going through his mind when the light came on. He could of been looking at the tree and thinking something else. any one who has raced probaly knows what I'am talking about although I'am just a bracket racer.

rkellywtfio8.gif

All

I publicaly take full responsibility for choosing the lanes my 2 Funny Cars ran in in Seattle a number of years ago. It was wrong and I decided we will never do anything like that agan. My teams will always race heads up. Hopefully that has been demonstrated numerous times over the years since then.

Don Schumacher

All

I publicaly take full responsibility for choosing the lanes my 2 Funny Cars ran in in Seattle a number of years ago. It was wrong and I decided we will never do anything like that agan. My teams will always race heads up. Hopefully that has been demonstrated numerous times over the years since then.

Don Schumacher

The definition of a class act right here.

All

Don Schumacher

I remember this happening in Seattle. I remember you taking full responsibility for it. And I haven't seen evidence of it since.

How can any driver, who calls himself a racer give up a shot at the most prestigous trophy in drag racing?? How I ask you??

And how can any John Force (the driver) fan accept what happened at Indy? Is it because John is the King of the Castle. And he feels he is far bigger than a US Nationals trophy?

Putting own my owner hats I would say: "Robert and Jimmy, you had 3/4 of the season to put yourself in solid position with one of the best teams in the NHRA. You haven't done it. You have to succeed or fail at Indy on your own."

Last edited:
And John does not fully take responsibilaty for snoozing at the tree and driving straight toward the wall, but thats fine too, we respect you both, I don't understand why John brought your name up several times while having a beef with Tony.

All

Don Schumacher

EXCELLENT

How can anyone argue with that?

The latest target for controversy, Don Schumacher, was scorned by fans for the decision to give championship contender Whit Bazemore the better lane against teammate Gary Scelzi in the second round in Seattle this year. Points leader Pedregon already had been defeated, giving Bazemore a golden opportunity to make up significant ground, yet Scelzi owned lane choice on what was unquestionably a one-lane racetrack that day. As expected, Scelzi went up in smoke, and where there's smoke there's fire; team owner Schumacher was definitely on the hot seat.

After initially defending the move as crew chief Mike Neff's decision, Schumacher later admitted, "We're in this to win the championship. Obviously, Whit is in a very heated battle for the title this year and everyone on the team knew this going into that round. ... On reflection, although I never implicitly told Mike to switch lanes, I'm afraid my enthusiasm for the opportunity Whit and his team had in front of them may have unduly influenced our decision.

"Our job is to win championships for our sponsors. No single car or bike on this team is more important than any other, and we always just let them race. But, with Tony Pedregon going out in round one and our two guys facing each other in round two, it was a very unique situation. Had the reverse situation been true, I would have been just as fired up for Gary as I was for Whit.

"This is part of the team concept. To have one guy available to help another in certain situations is exactly what you hope for when you field two or three cars. The facts are that Whit is an eyelash out. of first place while Gary is in llth place. ... I hope everyone outside of this team realizes how hard it is on us, as racers, to make certain calls. ... This is a very tough game, and tough decisions are made at times."

Ya all should read that link. Things are much different now than they were in 2003. Especially car owner views. And those quotes came AFTER the race had been run.

Last edited:
All

Don Schumacher

And that was a lane choice deal, not even close to what Force did yesterday.

I understand John has a scuba gear sponsor waiting in the wings in case AAA bails on him:eek:

John was trying to make Coil chuckle, whose in the hospital with some really bad stuff, (I had read somewhere internal bleeding, thats nothing to sneeze at) so maybe, John all the sudden remembered laughter is the best medicine. Tony is tough enough to deal with Johns fun, as well as anyone else. I love the rivalries, its been a long time since there was an interesting post race interview.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back