Don Speaks about Nitro (1 Viewer)

Why is it that when Wally Parks dies, the whole operation can't seem to tie it's own shoe? (no pun intended) You can't tell me that Wally hid all of these problems and wanted to dump them on his understudies. It seems like a contest; Now that Dad is dead, lets see who can crash his prized car the best. I keep hearing Napoleon Dynamite's voice in my head saying "Idiots!"

Wally wasn't exactly the racer's best friend. Wally was out for Wally. He just had a good personality.

Last edited:
Why is it that when Wally Parks dies, the whole operation can't seem to tie it's own shoe? (no pun intended) You can't tell me that Wally hid all of these problems and wanted to dump them on his understudies. It seems like a contest; Now that Dad is dead, lets see who can crash his prized car the best. I keep hearing Napoleon Dynamite's voice in my head saying "Idiots!"

First let's remember that Wally loved drag racing-almost to a fault. Tom Compton loves his income and it appears his primary motivation is to line his pockets.

We also know who crashed the car.

Great post John!

Wally wasn't exactly the racer's best friend. Wally was out for Wally. He just had a good personality.
Wow, bashing a deceased person, specially Wally, is pretty low.

I'm very thankful for all that he did and am proud to be a future participant in Wally World.

Wow, bashing a deceased person,

What difference does it make if he's alive or not? I would bash Jeffery Dahmer or Ted Bundy all day long.

Back on the subject now. Go Don, Go ! I used to root against all his teams but after this past month and the whole Nitro fiasco I have turned over a new leaf and root for them. Except Beckman ( that's another story for a totally different thread ) Again, I wish he would take his traveling circus and his money to the IHRA and give them a go.

Last edited:
Truly amazing!

Wally gets bashed, then he gets put in the same sentence as a couple of mass murderers and no one else speaks up against it.

Then they want to start a bashing on Beckman!

This truly is amazing!

I'm very thankful for all that he did and am proud to be a future participant in Wally World.

"Wally wasn't exactly the racer's best friend. Wally was out for Wally. He just had a good personality." Dave Timmons

I don't think that's a bash, and yes, Wally should be remembered for legitimizing the sport and getting racers off the street.

But, if Wally was truly about the greater good of the Sport, he would have worked with Jim at the AHRA, and Larry with the IHRA, instead of getting into pissing matches with them because his 'vision' of wasn't the same as theirs. He wouldn't have publicly stated in the 70's that he didn't feel that someone should be able to make a living at drag racing, and there was no way that the prize money would ever match what people were spending.

He would not have been upset that the AHRA was paying 'tow' money to racers.

Wally was about His NHRA, His Sport of Drag Racing... not OUR sport of Drag Racing... HIS.

and the Compton & Light Show is completely in line with Wally's Vision. The NHRA is what is important, not the racers, not the fans...

and yeah, there was a reason PRO was formed... to bad it didn't work out.

d'kid

Paul,
#1. I wasn't bashing Wally. Just telling it like it is. People want to make him out to be a saint. He was a regular person looking out for the best interests of HIS business.

#2. I have never read one post on here from you that makes any sense.

#3 I knew if one person would take my comments out of context it would be you.

No doubt NHRA is being run like if a dumb a$$ like me was at the helm.
Some people see money and I see parts and good racing.

I never doubted Don was right and even Alan Polburn is light years beyond NHRA.
You have to have vision and a plan and backups and it don't hurt to learn to juggle too.

I can balance a nine sixteenth endwrench on my nose does that count ?

Always been a WonderWaggon fan.
My kids ate a lot of Wonderbread when they grew up.

Hey Don you got a trickle charger with a smart feature at the shop??
I'm the market for a couple for my cars while I'm gone.
I like Shoe electronics too, good stuff.

"Wally wasn't exactly the racer's best friend. Wally was out for Wally. He just had a good personality." Dave Timmons

I don't think that's a bash, and yes, Wally should be remembered for legitimizing the sport and getting racers off the street.

But, if Wally was truly about the greater good of the Sport, he would have worked with Jim at the AHRA, and Larry with the IHRA, instead of getting into pissing matches with them because his 'vision' of wasn't the same as theirs. He wouldn't have publicly stated in the 70's that he didn't feel that someone should be able to make a living at drag racing, and there was no way that the prize money would ever match what people were spending.

He would not have been upset that the AHRA was paying 'tow' money to racers.

Wally was about His NHRA, His Sport of Drag Racing... not OUR sport of Drag Racing... HIS.

and the Compton & Light Show is completely in line with Wally's Vision. The NHRA is what is important, not the racers, not the fans...

and yeah, there was a reason PRO was formed... to bad it didn't work out.

d'kid

Thank you Karl. You "get it". :)

Thank you Karl. You "get it". :)

Let's just say that things were said around a thirteen to seventeen year old kid, that made a lasting impression on him... made sure I joined then NHRA during the summer of 73, just so I could get N/D while I was overseas, along with my 'scrip to Drag News... as soon as I got back to the world, I let my membership lapse... K'dubs got me a membership for Christmas '05 just so dad could listen to the Audio Cast... so yeah, I get my 'Digger' in the mail 48 weeks a year, and I can listen to the PA at the track, on-line... I buy my tickets via the phone from the track... if the young lady that handles tickets is 'busy', she will call me back. I also have 'hard' tickets in my hands 48 hours after I buy them...

I also get the impression that Glendora looks at the 'General Membership' as nothing more than a 'Fan Club'... so be it...

Let's just say "I've gotten It" for over 40 years now. And people will ask why do I care, and why don't I just go do something else? Simple, Because I love Drag Racing. Because of people like Robert, Hopsing, Jimmy, Teach, All the Johnsons, WJ, KJ, TJ, both AJs, Melanie 'J', Fast Jack, Wildthing, 'Stinky', Tim, and Head, The Brothers O, Special K, Scooter, Conrad, Hillary, David, The Cowboys, Del W, Max, GA & JL, Ken Black, CoryMac, Dixon, KB and the Prince, JR, Ant, Matt Smith, Ms. Bling, EE and her dad, and Austin, John Medlen, Guido, Zippy, The Princess, and Papa John...

and The Don, for what he's tried to do...

d'kid

Let's just say that things were said around a thirteen to seventeen year old kid, that made a lasting impression on him... made sure I joined then NHRA during the summer of 73, just so I could get N/D while I was overseas, along with my 'scrip to Drag News... as soon as I got back to the world, I let my membership lapse... K'dubs got me a membership for Christmas '05 just so dad could listen to the Audio Cast... so yeah, I get my 'Digger' in the mail 48 weeks a year, and I can listen to the PA at the track, on-line... I buy my tickets via the phone from the track... if the young lady that handles tickets is 'busy', she will call me back. I also have 'hard' tickets in my hands 48 hours after I buy them...

I also get the impression that Glendora looks at the 'General Membership' as nothing more than a 'Fan Club'... so be it...

Let's just say "I've gotten It" for over 40 years now. And people will ask why do I care, and why don't I just go do something else? Simple, Because I love Drag Racing. Because of people like Robert, Hopsing, Jimmy, Teach, All the Johnsons, WJ, KJ, TJ, both AJs, Melanie 'J', Fast Jack, Wildthing, 'Stinky', Tim, and Head, The Brothers O, Special K, Scooter, Conrad, Hillary, David, The Cowboys, Del W, Max, GA & JL, Ken Black, CoryMac, Dixon, KB and the Prince, JR, Ant, Matt Smith, Ms. Bling, EE and her dad, and Austin, John Medlen, Guido, Zippy, The Princess, and Papa John...

and The Don, for what he's tried to do...

d'kid

AMEN Karl!!!!! :D:D:D

My question is, unless I missed something (and by all means correct me if I'm wrong...) ....why has this not been featured on NHRA Raceday? Why has this not been covered in detail in National Dragster? If indeed events like the great Texas Motorplex race is in danger of not having any Nitromethane-burning cars participating in the competition.... where is the press?? C'mon Glendora... if you're going to break this wide open... let's make is WIDE FRICKING open!

My question is, unless I missed something (and by all means correct me if I'm wrong...) ....why has this not been featured on NHRA Raceday? Why has this not been covered in detail in National Dragster? If indeed events like the great Texas Motorplex race is in danger of not having any Nitromethane-burning cars participating in the competition.... where is the press?? C'mon Glendora... if you're going to break this wide open... let's make is WIDE FRICKING open!

Taking your post a step further, Chris, I currently have a room reserved for the Dallas race. NHRA, if there's the slightest possibility of no nitro on the grounds, I'll gladly cancel the room and save the plane/rental car/motel/ticket money and vacation days.

Last edited:
So true. I found out the hard way his stuff isn't rain proof. Mine wouldn't charge a watch battery anymore.:D

Dan, We cant catch everything, but we do have a crack repair department that takes very good care of our customers.
(we are working on Van Leeuwen Waterproof models) :)

Call Bob in Customer Service at Schumacher Electric 1-800-621-5485 ext 284

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back