Graham Light Speaks – An Exclusive Interview (1 Viewer)

If I were DonS and I read comments like this (especially about "getting our hands on..."), I'd be livid. I'd dump the nitro to the first industrial buyer I could find, and seriously consider whether the sport is worth it.
Yea, that would really help the racers, huh?

Maybe I'm mistaken but, wasn't that the reason he gave for having the nitro?

So Paul, you would be willing to just bend over and take it in the rear? Don doesn't owe anyone anything. Why should he get screwed because he's smart.

Dan; That was brilliant. That is about the third posting outlining why the Golden Egg company can't get any eggs.

Now about Angus. Back when they were supplying the racing community, many thought the price was too high. So someone brought in containers of nitro from China, Paul Candies rings a bell. The Chinese stuff was cheaper. Isn't all Chinese stuff cheaper that the same thing made here?

Angus couldn't compete with the Chinese. There was some attempt to make only Angus legal, simply to protect the source. But in the end, the Chinese importers won.

It was great for a while. Cheap nitro. I remember posting back then on some board "Are you sure you want the Chinese to be the only source for Nitro?" No one, at that time, thought it could be a problem.

So now we go "hat in hand" to Angus and beg them to sell us nitro for racing. Of course they know that as soon as the Chinese stuff becomes available again, we would, once again, have no use for those thieves. Good luck getting them to fall for that.

Dan; That was brilliant. That is about the third posting outlining why the Golden Egg company can't get any eggs.

Now about Angus. Back when they were supplying the racing community, many thought the price was too high. So someone brought in containers of nitro from China, Paul Candies rings a bell. The Chinese stuff was cheaper. Isn't all Chinese stuff cheaper that the same thing made here?

Angus couldn't compete with the Chinese. There was some attempt to make only Angus legal, simply to protect the source. But in the end, the Chinese importers won.

It was great for a while. Cheap nitro. I remember posting back then on some board "Are you sure you want the Chinese to be the only source for Nitro?" No one, at that time, thought it could be a problem.

So now we go "hat in hand" to Angus and beg them to sell us nitro for racing. Of course they know that as soon as the Chinese stuff becomes available again, we would, once again, have no use for those thieves. Good luck getting them to fall for that.
I thought I remember reading that one of the issues for Dow was the unsafe handling and tracking of sales within the racing community. Someone correct me if I am mistaken (as if I had to ask :D)

Don,

You are only being painted as the bad guy, because the real party at fault feels the need to blame someone for their own screw-up and is trying to save "Face". It is a familiar story. :rolleyes:

I think this time they have spit the crank out, and are in the process of driving for the finish line on fire. JMO :D

Rapid
Wow, Rapid! That line is true poetry! Seriously--I really like that--can I use it some time, possibly in a top level management meeting? ANYTHING besides all that talk about grabbing the low hanging fruit, etc!

Sorry for the repetition but I kept seeing the same questions over and over.

I remember the scenario exactly as you described. Many of those who thought it wasn't a problem mentioned that "it's now a world economy".

Yep. Good thing the Chinese aren't into drag racing or we'd all be screwed. They do an excellent job of protecting their own industries and keeping them churning goods out - unlike some other countries.

So Paul, you would be willing to just bend over and take it in the rear? Don doesn't owe anyone anything. Why should he get screwed because he's smart.
You're right, DSR should not take a loss or break even, DSR should make a profit.

Would DSR sell to VP for the new price, last I heard $1400.00?

That would be a profit of over 50% from the reported $900.00 he is currently selling it for. Btw, that is over 500% greater gain than the "evil" oil companies are making.

VP would not make a dime, actually they would lose with operating costs incurring, but, they would meet their obligation to NHRA and more importantly, the racers.

What say you DSR?

You're right, DSR should not take a loss or break even, DSR should make a profit.

Would DSR sell to VP for the new price, last I heard $1400.00?

That would be a profit of over 50% from the reported $900.00 he is currently selling it for. Btw, that is over 500% greater gain than the "evil" oil companies are making.

VP would not make a dime, actually they would lose with operating costs incurring, but, they would meet their obligation to NHRA and more importantly, the racers.

What say you DSR?

If, as has been mentioned, Don Schumacher originally bought the nitro as a hedge against runaway pricing, why should he be forced to be a part of the action he sought to avoid?

I'm curious as to the price Wego is currently charging for later deliveries. Just because VP (and by proxy, NHRA) is stating the new retail price is $1400 doesn't necessarily mean that it's the same for any supplier.

The argument that gas prices are exploding at the pump is a nice example of setting up a straw man. I'm unaware of the process that would produce nitromethane from Texas (or even Iraqi) crude. We're not talking about the production of Sunoco 260 here.

I'm not convinced that VP's acquisition price is the going rate. If you can't buy from the leading supplier bad things will happen. They would include:

Having to buy $6000 plane tickets to scour China for smaller suppliers willing to sell.

Paying the premium price that comes from middlemen/brokers/distribution companies adding their markup.

Paying the premium price that smaller suppliers have to charge since they lack the economies of scale that a larger supplier (or manufacturer) enjoys.

Companies other than VP may not have to pay the extra costs mentioned above. What kind of markup VP expects is another issue. An exclusive supplier deal reminds me of the cost-plus contracts once common in the aerospace industry.

That folly had serious repercussions where I live; The once proud McDonnell Douglas no longer exists and the Boeing that bought it out is on its last legs here.

Maybe it's just me, but I can't help thinking that a $1400 less-than-55-gallon drum of nitro is exactly like a $1500 hammer or a $8000 toilet seat.

I'd be happy to be corrected with actual numbers.

If, as has been mentioned, Don Schumacher originally bought the nitro as a hedge against runaway pricing, why should he be forced to be a part of the action he sought to avoid?
Because it was recently reported that DSR will be selling off the nitro due to "business needs".

What better business need than 500% profit over previous sales?

From what I've heard they have contracts to sell it to the government at exorbitant prices for military purposes. So why on earth would they sell to other markets where they have to negotiate a sales price.

So maybe we can blame the president and Congress to take the heat off Don! I'm sure the liberals could get behind that idea. LOL

And why wouldn't they sell it for exorbitant prices? Isn't this the same Government that buys $400 toilet seats? lol

Well the old facility in Sterlington La that Argus got their Nitro from was rebuilt after the 2002 explosion that blew out the windows in my Pilots home there.
I say 2002 because I was a mater member when it happened and he can't remember except for the big check everyone got to pay damages and assuage the pain. LOL

It's larger than before but I don't know what products it makes.

The agricultural versions of Nitro are not quite so volatile and I'll bet they are still brewing it.
Like a lot of other things we need a domestic supply.

I read recently where Angus makes more nitro today than all other manufacturers combined. Believe me, they don't need us.

Jay

"We put it out to bid. Four companies bid on it. We selected VP not because they were the highest bidder. And, believe me there were some bidders from a marketing partnership probably would have given us more exposure in that they had retail outlets and could be the official fuel of the NHRA which would help mainstream the sport. But, the reason we selected VP is because of there their demonstrated ability to service the events and the race teams."

So, like some goverment contracts, they've been doing it like that for years so we're not going to change it even if it could help us in the long run. Am I reading that right?

"We put it out to bid. Four companies bid on it. We selected VP not because they were the highest bidder. And, believe me there were some bidders from a marketing partnership probably would have given us more exposure in that they had retail outlets and could be the official fuel of the NHRA which would help mainstream the sport. But, the reason we selected VP is because of there their demonstrated ability to service the events and the race teams."

So, like some goverment contracts, they've been doing it like that for years so we're not going to change it even if it could help us in the long run. Am I reading that right?

That's how I read it.

What better business need than 500% profit over previous sales?

Uh, maybe for the common good, though I realize that concept may be foreign to you.

Businessmen don't always have to go for the jugular, you know. It's not illegal or anything.

Perhaps you can be a shrewd marketer but still support the sport. Heresy, no doubt.

Paul,
I will respect you enought to tell you, that you dont know enough of what you speak to be offering any opinion other than a best guess, based on what you think you know.
That is a sure fire way to get people to express their opinion from a representative of the board, and more importantly DSR That is your employer, right?. :rolleyes:

I thought this was a place you could express your opinion. Please Pete, tell us all what to say.

What is it that YOU know that is making that makes others opinions a best guess.

Last edited:
But aren't they (Angus/Wego) the ones that won't sell it for racing purposes?

I believe they no longer produce 100% nitro domestically ... I believe I have read here or at one of the online mags that they only produce Nitro for pharmaceutical/agricultural uses which is in the 5-30% range ... I am working off memory here ... if I am wrong I am sure someone will correct it ...

I thought I remember reading that one of the issues for Dow was the unsafe handling and tracking of sales within the racing community. Someone correct me if I am mistaken (as if I had to ask :D)

You are exactly correct. Here is Dow's press release upon their exit from the business of supplying racers.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back