Graham Light Speaks – An Exclusive Interview (1 Viewer)

Here's the problem, as I see it. If those commitments aren't made and if there is a nitro shortage and VP isn't able to supply enough nitro for let's pick the US Nationals, then for that event to happen somehow we as a sport need to get our hands on Don Schumacher's nitro. If he's selling it off and using it for testing it's depleting his reserve which could in the end cause a problem for the sport.
I bet Don would sell it to them for $2000 a barrel. :p

Here's the problem, as I see it. If those commitments aren't made and if there is a nitro shortage and VP isn't able to supply enough nitro for let's pick the US Nationals, then for that event to happen somehow we as a sport need to get our hands on Don Schumacher's nitro. If he's selling it off and using it for testing it's depleting his reserve which could in the end cause a problem for the sport.

I knew it, it's all Don's fault. Graham says so! :rolleyes:

then for that event to happen somehow we as a sport need to get our hands on Don Schumacher's nitro.

This sounds surprisingly similar to what Hillary Clinton said about the oil companies profits.:eek:

was that the fat lady warming up?

CP - WHAT WOULD THE NHRA BE WITHOUT A TOP FUEL AND A FUNNY CAR CLASS?

GL - Well, it would certainly be different. The national events would be different, obviously the excitement and the draw, for the most part at a national event is 330 mph funny cars and dragsters that run the 4 seconds, and the noise and the excitement. We've got a lot of other exciting classes, pro stock, pro stock motorcycles, we've got some wonderful sportsman classes, we've got 270 mph alcohol dragsters. There's a lot of other entertainment there, but the complexity of a national event would certainly take on a whole different look. NHRA was founded in the beginning for sportsman racing, a place for people to take their hotrods and race in an environment away from the street and so on and that continues and will continue. The sport wouldn't go away. People that like cars and like speed are always going to participate.

Sounds like it could be for the nitro classes????

I posted this on another thread but it seems to have been ignored...
Of course the real worrying thing is that if the Chinese realise the benefits of not distilling 100% Nitro that it may stop being produced at all...

The impurities found in the stuff that other industries use would harm engines etc and therefore would be unuseable. So what is the future of Fuel racing?

Of course the US has an oil industry yet they don't seem to want to produce a substance that they are relying on the Chinese to produce - double standards?

Last edited:
CP - WHAT WOULD THE NHRA BE WITHOUT A TOP FUEL AND A FUNNY CAR CLASS?

GL - Well, it would certainly be different. The national events would be different, obviously the excitement and the draw, for the most part at a national event is 330 mph funny cars and dragsters that run the 4 seconds, and the noise and the excitement. We've got a lot of other exciting classes, pro stock, pro stock motorcycles, we've got some wonderful sportsman classes, we've got 270 mph alcohol dragsters. There's a lot of other entertainment there, but the complexity of a national event would certainly take on a whole different look. NHRA was founded in the beginning for sportsman racing, a place for people to take their hotrods and race in an environment away from the street and so on and that continues and will continue. The sport wouldn't go away. People that like cars and like speed are always going to participate.

Sounds like it could be for the nitro classes????

well look at the bright side.......we still have TEAM GEICO entertaining the troops!!!!!!!!:eek:

The question i have is if the problem is this serious and NHRA needs Don Schumacher's nitro, Why not allow Don Schumacher to sell PRO NITRO at NHRA events rather than MAKE him sell it to VP so they can make all the money off of it. Maybe things are not that simple but seems like it would sure help this whole situation. Also it sounds to me like NHRA is not talking with Don about this. But i just dont get it Don Schumacher's nitro is not allowed at NHRA events but if sells it to VP all of a sudden its good enough! HMMMM???? Makes someone wonder!

Last edited:
Here's a question. If the demand for Nitro has increased so much, is it not attractive for someone here in the states to set up a mfg facility and get into the business? I'm sure it's not as simple as opening a fast food franchise, but why are the Chinese the only ones who can/will produce it?

The question i have is if the problem is this serious and NHRA needs Don Schumacher's nitro, Why not allow Don Schumacher to sell PRO NITRO at NHRA events rather than MAKE him sell it to VP so they can make all the money off of it. Maybe things are not that simple but seems like it would sure help this whole situation. Also it sounds to me like NHRA is not talking with Don about this. But i just dont get it Don Schumacher's nitro is not allowed at NHRA events but if sells it to VP all of a sudden its good enough! HMMMM???? Makes someone wonder!

Exactly my thoughts on the subject. If VP doesnt have it, then too bad. You have to do what you can to save the sport. No offense, we all like drag racing and most classes but the average fan would not go to a national event if the fuel cars werent there.

Since they turned down the 3 offers given them this past week I'd like to know just what they want Don to do?

here's A Question. If The Demand For Nitro Has Increased So Much, Is It Not Attractive For Someone Here In The States To Set Up A Mfg Facility And Get Into The Business? I'm Sure It's Not As Simple As Opening A Fast Food Franchise, But Why Are The Chinese The Only Ones Who Can/will Produce It?

At last... BINGO!

Since they turned down the 3 offers given them this past week I'd like to know just what they want Don to do?
I probably missed it, but what 3 offers were they given?

I think NHRA has been up front on suppliers. They don't want team owners distributing fuel, tires, etc. Not saying it will, but it has the opportunity to tilt the playing field.

They (NHRA) also better make some decisions fairly quick! Kinda hard to plan a vacation to the races, and purchase tickets for an event where there may be no nitro! And as long as ProNitro was avaliable to all competitiors i dont see what the big deal would be.

This is so political; and I don't mean between the US & China. I think it's ONLY about money and egos. I think it's alot of scare tactics as well. A true nitro shortage could have a dramatic impact. We'd turn into Monster Jam; a traveling 2day weekend affair thats more of a "show" than racing. Basically match racing, with the best of 3 or 4 runs deemed the winner. All the partys involved better think about that. Nice way to scare the fans who want to vacation around vegas II or Pomona II..........

If I were DonS and I read comments like this (especially about "getting our hands on..."), I'd be livid. I'd dump the nitro to the first industrial buyer I could find, and seriously consider whether the sport is worth it.

Geez, Graham, what chutzpah!

I probably missed it, but what 3 offers were they given?

I think NHRA has been up front on suppliers. They don't want team owners distributing fuel, tires, etc. Not saying it will, but it has the opportunity to tilt the playing field.

I understand not wanting to let one owner control it, however if he's the only one with it, then you really dont have a choice.

As for the offers that were proposed,first was with Don doing it, then one was a partnership with Shoe/Force/Bernstein overseeing the nitro. The next one was with "the Cowboys" doing it but NHRA turned down all 3.

If I were DonS and I read comments like this (especially about "getting our hands on..."), I'd be livid. I'd dump the nitro to the first industrial buyer I could find, and seriously consider whether the sport is worth it.

Geez, Graham, what chutzpah!

Well put Christopher, I couldn't agree more. I thought those were very poorly chosen words. I love how they seem to act like Don is holding the sport hostage when in fact their lack of foresight is the problem.

I would bet if Bruton owned NHRA he could close his eyes, grunt real hard and nitro would magically appear if you know what I'm getting at. Seriously. :D

I would bet if Bruton owned NHRA he could close his eyes, grunt real hard and nitro would magically appear if you know what I'm getting at. Seriously. :D

LOL... Bruton has been accused of many things - I guess I should add now that he is capable of "grunting" Nitro at will...

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back