Does anyone have a Time Machine?? - I want to go here...... (1 Viewer)

Bullet

Nitro Member
Does anyone have a Time Machine?? - I want to go back... way back... back into time!!

64 FUNNY CARS at OCIR!!

Does anyone have a Time Machine?? - I want to go back... way back... back into time!!

64 FUNNY CARS at OCIR!!

First row third from the left is me. Maybe. Used to love to go to this event or anything at OCIR. I used to get reserved seating so I always had a seat to come back to and they would send me info on the races in the mail so I could pre-buy tickets. No waiting in line, it was great.

I divided my time between OCIR and Irwindale (the real one, not the midget strip). I remember many a Saturday showing up for work at Bill's Mobil and the boss saying we were low on gas and if we ran out we could close. Well the moment he left we would be calling all our friends to come over and fill up so we could empty the tank and hit the road for the strip.

Paul, if any one does come up with a time machine for you let me know and I will join you.

From the looks, I was out of the country...
Got a year on that shot?

but like Jim said, made more fuel shows at The County, The 'Dale, and The Beach between '68 and Aug '73 than I missed... had to leave The Last Drag Race about 11PM 'cause it was a school night...

After I got back to The World, well, tween 77 and 81 only made 5 or six shows at The County a year... always sat low in section 1 pit side, or in the top end bleachers...

d'kid

just look at the grandstands, full. no room at the fence. my spot as a kid was at the fence and that pic brought back alot of memories. all the funnys would start and run at the same time! what a sound. popping in "Funnycar Summer" into the dvd player and dream about OCIR again.

All you need is "Doc" Brown, a Delorean, some plutonium,and 88 MPH buddy!

Don't forget the Flux Capacitor! Very vital! ;)

Delorean - CHECK! eBay Motors: DeLorean : Delorean (item 250215979086 end time Feb-20-08 16:44:06 PST)

88mph - CHECK! eBay Motors: Volvo Penta Speed Limiter Part # 855870 (item 180214434850 end time Mar-10-08 09:02:57 PDT)

Flux Capacitor - CHECK! Diamond Select Back To Future Flux Capacitor Replica - eBay (item 110225160720 end time Feb-19-08 17:29:37 PST)

"Doc" Brown - Will Kevin aka "Joker" Brown do?

Plutonium - As for plutonium.... I am almost too scared to ask for it in fear of having DHS knocking on my door to know why I want plutonium... and when my answer is to go back to 1980 for some Nitromethane... I fear that I will be locked up!! :D

I looked at that great picture for quite a while and it's just so cool. I really feel bad that I never got to experience one of those great OCIR shows. It's sad that it's gone forever. I'll just chalk it up to one more great thing I'll never get to do.

Dave

I was there!! One of the typical....SATURDAY NIGHT Coors 64 Funny Car Events! That's when Drag Racing was COOL!!! It was a good time to be a 7 year old kid in 1980, but no matter how hard I looked, I could not find that FOX that everyone was trying to kill!:eek:

From 1979-1983 Dad and I made about 30 trips to "THE COUNTY". My seat, was about 500' from the starting line Pit Side/ With Pit Pass sticker firmly attached to my Big Jim Dunn Shirt or CHARGERS POWER YELLOW T-Shirt! (standard issue OCIR PLEDGE PUKE UNIFORM!) As with the Current Vegas track, you also got an Air show, since EL TORO (NAS AT THE TIME) was next door. When I saw this pic, I damm near started to sob.... There was a Rocket car there, and SMOKEY RED the wheelstander, a few Jet cars, and of course, the So Cal Pro Gas Association, Bracket 1 and 2! Don't know if I "made it" to the fireworks, as Dad and I would usually bail after the 1st session of Funny cars. Of course I had to see Big Jim Dunn, and John "BRUTE" Force Run, as well as Bad Brad Anderson and Chuck Beal! Damm I miss this place!

Don't know

Last edited:
I was there!! One of the typical....SATURDAY NIGHT Coors 64 Funny Car Events! That's when Drag Racing was COOL!!! It was a good time to be a 7 year old kid in 1980, but no matter how hard I looked, I could not find that FOX that everyone was trying to kill!:eek:

Fox Hunting without the hounds hey Timmah!! :)

1980.... I was 4!! :)

Ya know what, think that was the one and only race I ever got Kat to go to. we were sitting in the "bent" stand under the score board. Great view down the track. The only time I ever sat on the spectator side, she didn't want to go in the pits. Newly weds, ya know? We'd just moved out to Lake Elsinore.

d'kid

Delorean - CHECK! eBay Motors: DeLorean : Delorean (item 250215979086 end time Feb-20-08 16:44:06 PST)

88mph - CHECK! eBay Motors: Volvo Penta Speed Limiter Part # 855870 (item 180214434850 end time Mar-10-08 09:02:57 PDT)

Flux Capacitor - CHECK! Diamond Select Back To Future Flux Capacitor Replica - eBay (item 110225160720 end time Feb-19-08 17:29:37 PST)

"Doc" Brown - Will Kevin aka "Joker" Brown do?

Plutonium - As for plutonium.... I am almost too scared to ask for it in fear of having DHS knocking on my door to know why I want plutonium... and when my answer is to go back to 1980 for some Nitromethane... I fear that I will be locked up!! :D

:D YouTube - GOLDRUSH - GOLD DELOREAN

From the late 60s well into the 80s 32 car fields were the norm and 64 car fields occured more often than anyone would now consider possible. It's a period long gone but not forgotten. If there was only a way to bring back the days of 3 or 4 friends pooling their $$$ and building a fuel car.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back