Hi. I want to learn (1 Viewer)

Rocketman

Nitro Member
I'm really getting into the sport now, but finding a real lack of technical info out there on the web. As someone pointed out in a thread, the NHRA site is poor for actually educating new fans on the sport, who want to get beyond the roar and smoke.

I've got lots of questions, and I just can't seem to find answers. What is line-lock, how does it work? What tuning is done at the starting line, what things would you look at the other team doing? I've noticed now that tires get "rubbed-down" after the burnout, why? What is an optimum burnout duration?

ESPN does an OK job with occasional tech tidbits, but it seemed noticeably absent from the Indy coverage.

I'd love to find a site as great as Scarbs F1 site for the technical side of Nitro drag racing - anyone have suggestions?

By the way, if anyone's a Formula 1 fan Scarb's site is top-notch: Scarbsf1's Blog Tremendous technical detail, sometimes beyond me, and I'm a mechanical engineer.

Anyway, hi.

Those were excellent - but only four articles and unfortunately Mike didn't get into the drivetrain at all.

Anyone have any other links? Sure would appreciate it.

I'm really getting into the sport now, but finding a real lack of technical info out there on the web. As someone pointed out in a thread, the NHRA site is poor for actually educating new fans on the sport, who want to get beyond the roar and smoke.

I've got lots of questions, and I just can't seem to find answers. What is line-lock, how does it work? What tuning is done at the starting line, what things would you look at the other team doing? I've noticed now that tires get "rubbed-down" after the burnout, why? What is an optimum burnout duration?

ESPN does an OK job with occasional tech tidbits, but it seemed noticeably absent from the Indy coverage.

I'd love to find a site as great as Scarbs F1 site for the technical side of Nitro drag racing - anyone have suggestions?

By the way, if anyone's a Formula 1 fan Scarb's site is top-notch: Scarbsf1's Blog Tremendous technical detail, sometimes beyond me, and I'm a mechanical engineer.

Anyway, hi.

welcome to the mater
To answer a few of your questions
Burnouts- There is no optimal burnout. Each car, class and most importantly tuner want it done differently. There are some that even believe that with the advances in technology that the burnout is no longer needed but still do so becasue it is part of the show aspect. The most important part of the burnout is to be consistent. It allows the tuner to have like data to compare and tune off of if everything is done the same.

Line Lock- allows the front brakes to be engaged by a button. They can be used for cars that do standing burnouts (as opposed to a rolling one). Also once staged it keeps the car from rolling through the lights while the driver has one foot on the gas getting the revs up and the other on the clutch.

Starting line tuning-Once the car is started not much just due to time. They can dive into the timing and make a quick adjustment but usually that is done before start as conditions are known by then. What you will see them do is turn the computer on and take the clip off the throttle cable after the burnout. The clip is on during the burnout to prevent the driver from going full out.

Tire rubbing- A smoother service has greater contact area. knocking off anthing that collects on the tire during the tow up to the staging lanes or during the burnout allows for a clean service to make contact to the track.

Drivetrain you may want to start a thread with the title reading something like "Question about drivetrain" you may get more responses.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back